TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
NoCalMike

So I have one of those "Something's wrong with your PC"

So this dumb thing pops up once in awhile claiming to be a PC scan....it does it's fake scan and then requests for me to download "VIRUS SCAN 2009" of course it is all designed to look like something official from Microsoft.....and then when you actually go to download it it says "unknown publisher, publisher cannot be verified" OF COURSE....so I know it is fake and it is more of an annoyance then a hinderance, but I can't seem to find it so I can delete it.....does this type of thing sound familiar to anyone and what is a good tool/utility for finding it and getting rid of it?

Thanks.

EDIT: I am scanning with McAfee right now, it is a little outdated but hopefully it works.

So this dumb thing pops up once in awhile claiming to be a PC scan....it does it's fake scan and then requests for me to download "VIRUS SCAN 2009" of course it is all designed to look like something official from Microsoft.....and then when you actually go to download it it says "unknown publisher, publisher cannot be verified" OF COURSE....so I know it is fake and it is more of an annoyance then a hinderance, but I can't seem to find it so I can delete it.....does this type of thing sound familiar to anyone and what is a good tool/utility for finding it and getting rid of it?

Thanks.

EDIT: I am scanning with McAfee right now, it is a little outdated but hopefully it works.

You have a trojan that is similar to XP Antispyware 2009. Boot in safe mode and run whatever tools you have.

Let us know if it doesn't work.

Thanks.

You have a trojan that is similar to XP Antispyware 2009. Boot in safe mode and run whatever tools you have.

Let us know if it doesn't work.

It didn't work :(

What should I do now?

Get off any important files you can get to and reinstall Windows.

Umm....really? It's that drastic? Right now I am running a scan on windowsecurity.com's trojan scanner....it has already found a shitload of stuff.......hopefully when this is done it will have taken care of the problem..... :ph34r:

Oh gosh, sorry man. One of my employees accidentally downloaded that same virus onto our work computer (I think through Myspace or something dumb like that), and it got really nasty...couldn't even get on the internet without this thing popping up. Basically made it impossible for us to do any work related stuff, and of course we didn't want to risk further security issues. Really insidious piece of spyware. I'm usually pretty good at getting these things out when they do come up, but this one was basically impossible to remove myself. We ended up calling the Geek Squad and having them remove it remotely, which I think cost in the neighborhood of about 100 bucks. But at least the computer was in good shape after that. I remember they had me boot the computer in safe mode, and I think they were able to remove it that way...so maybe you could try that (looks like you did already). But otherwise, you might have to take it to a professional to get it resolved.

Oh gosh, sorry man. One of my employees accidentally downloaded that same virus onto our work computer (I think through Myspace or something dumb like that), and it got really nasty...couldn't even get on the internet without this thing popping up. Basically made it impossible for us to do any work related stuff, and of course we didn't want to risk further security issues. Really insidious piece of spyware. I'm usually pretty good at getting these things out when they do come up, but this one was basically impossible to remove myself. We ended up calling the Geek Squad and having them remove it remotely, which I think cost in the neighborhood of about 100 bucks. But at least the computer was in good shape after that. I remember they had me boot the computer in safe mode, and I think they were able to remove it that way...so maybe you could try that (looks like you did already). But otherwise, you might have to take it to a professional to get it resolved.

I took care of it. I ran the trojanscanner and I did a system restore. Haven't seen it since..... :headbang: