TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Damaramu

My new way of eating.

Nice job on the weight loss Dama. I'm about to start working out more now that the weather is a bit better. How do you all feel about diet cola? I know water is better for you, but will drinking 2-3 diet cokes a day hinder weight loss/muscle gain?

Portion control with a healthy dose of exercize is probably the best way to go. I used to do a low-carb diet and it did work strictly to take the pounds off, but it doesn't do anything in terms of making you more healthy perse(less pounds is more healthy by default though).

There really is no replacement for exercize. I really don't do nearly enough of it. Most of my exercize consists of disc golfing, but that is only once a week(twice once in awhile) due to working full time, and having other obligations. Also working a swing shift doesn't help because when I get off of work it is going to be dark, regardless of the season, otherwise I would do it after work, 3-4 times a week.

Also, my hobbies are the computer/internet, videogames, and movies/tv, and those aren't excercise-heavy, lol.

Guest Vitamin X
Nice job on the weight loss Dama. I'm about to start working out more now that the weather is a bit better. How do you all feel about diet cola? I know water is better for you, but will drinking 2-3 diet cokes a day hinder weight loss/muscle gain?

I'd say only because of the caffeine- if you're going to drink soda, make it like one a day in the afternoon. Having a good night's sleep and all that is a big step towards weight control.

One of my main goals is to drink as much water as possible throughout the day, and it does work for losing some weight. Limiting my caffeine intake has done wonders actually, even if a couple years ago I actually had a caffeine-based diet which worked really well for losing a bunch of weight quickly.. although that might have been water weight since caffeine is a diuretic.

Portion Control+Eating Good Food+Exercise=The Best way

It's amazing how bad caffeine is for you...I was addicted to sodas, coffee, moutain dew, etc. I cut that out, with the occasional diet coke & rum, and I felt so much better.

I've also made it a habit, instead of fast food all the time, to make myself prepare and cook my own food....I've saved a bunch of cash that way, and lost some weight.

So I keep getting told by these crazy Crossfit people that eating low calories isn't going to work. That I have to eat over 2200 a day to lose weight.

"Oh you better eat more or you're never going to lose weight!"

For some reason the eating more=losing weight never really computed with me.

So last month I was making awesome weight loss gains. But, I let these people get into my head and I upped my calorie intake for about a week and a half. I didn't quit eating healthy foods, but I ate more of it to get around 2200 calories a day. Guess what? I GAINED 5 POUNDS!

Yet they're still hammering home that I need to eat more to lose weight and I'll never do it with calorie restriction. WTF? The thing that kind of bugs me about that whole community over there is that they're set in their ways and anybody that proves to be an exception to their rule is probably wrong and doing something wrong. Sheesh.....

Stop listening to these people. Just keep using the system that works for you.

Everyone's body works a little bit differently and you found a mix of diet and exercise that was giving you results. I don't know why you're so overly concerned with what other people have to say about your diet.

Be proud that if you're doing CrossFit and such a LOT, you probably put in like four pounds of muscle in that six pounds.

So yeah.

Net gain.

Starving yourself is like < 1400 calories while doing crossfit.

18-20 is enough to keep your body out of starvation mode, I'm sure.

What DOESN'T work is NOT eating. Because then your body holds onto every scrap of weight it can, so your metabolism will just slow waaaaaay down. Never a good thing.

Unless you're trying to live forever :P

It's actually different everyday for me. I get 1200 on some days. I get 1800 on other days. And I get 2000 on some other days. Depends on the kind of meat I eat that day really.

So I'm now up to 20 pounds since I started this thread. Down to 255.

I keep becoming afraid that I'm going to hit a wall. I've had a lot of people (not just on the CF MB) try to lecture me that calorie restriction only works for so long and I'm going to have a huge rebound. I mean there's a lot of people trying to say this, so it's got me kind of scared it may happen.

But, eating a ton of fat ("good fat") and calories like is being suggested seems really off to me. Then again those people at the CF boards are just a little bit elitist and crazy. They think eating the Paleo diet is the only way to go. I had a girl yesterday from there IM me and lecture me for a while (until i cut her off) that the Zone Diet and Paleo are the absolute 100% best way to lose weight, no if's and's or but's. When I tried to say that wasn't true, that different things work for different people she went on and on forever about how CF is the only way to workout and that the people that do CF get the best results of anybody else so I have to listen to them.

It really made no sense to me. I need some god damn grains! Fuck! You eat a piece of bread and these people go off the deep end.

But, the fact that so many people have mentioned the calorie restriction leading to doom is kind of scaring me. But, if you don't do calorie restriction....how do you lose weight?

I eat a lot and exercise a lot and it seems to work well. I'm a cardio beast with pretty good speed and very good endurance and I can lift a lot for a little guy. My diet is carb heavy and mostly vegetarian, although I'm not averse to meat, but I don't really make too much effort to restrict fat--my wife's cooking is just very healthy.

seriously, you're being ridiculous. just sack up and realize you have to eat moderately or you're going to gain the weight back. if you eat moderately, you'll keep it off. that's all there is to it. i'm at the same weight i've been since i lost my weight, and i'm not restricting to 1400 calories. just relax and let it work.

T-nation is a good fitness/bodybuilding/nutrition website. On the outside its geared toward bodybuilders, but their articles cater to all sorts of athletes and even weekend warriors. Also Dr. Squat Fred Hatfield's zig zag diet plan is up on his website I believe. Just thought I'd toss you some stuff to help you learn.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_articl...tional_programs

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1793585

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1795045

Guest Czech please!

Stop going to that stupid board and just eat less/exercise more. You're overestimating your audience for "I ate a ham sandiwch and a message board yelled at me! stay tuned for episode 14," but then again I guess this too is just a message board yelling at you.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I still maintain 220 and strong as an ox by eating whatever I want, smoking, and beating the shit out of a heavy bag.

Well damn my wishy-washiness sure did spark some craziness.

Anyway, my workouts have been going pretty good. I've been doing the CF WoD, a tabata interval on the bike (you wouldn't think 4 min would be so tough) and some additional strength training (bench, squat, deadlift) no more than twice a week. I had read somewhere that strength training should be limited to twice a week. Having ruMarvin's Proxy Brainy practice and doing those taxing WoDs that's about all I can afford to do the strength training.

Guest Czech please!

Oh man, that was great. Now that Marvin quit the board, I should probably take that out. It did its job.