TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cheech Tremendous

Check Your Thread

I don't think we've discussed the Beastie Boys in any sort of depth. While compiling my Favorite Albums list earlier this week, I accidentally forgot Paul's Boutique. What a great fucking album, and one that's unique in the fact that sampling laws will prevent the world from ever having a similar record. It's aged really well because of this and sounds miles better than their greatest commercial success, Licensed to Ill.

The rest of the catalog ranges from good to great. Check Your Head is a really amazing record. I never fully bought into Hello Nasty or To the 5 Boroughs, but I haven't given either a good listed in years. Maybe I'd come around if I put them on again.

The oddest thing about the Beasties is that you'll rarely find anyone that has them as their favorite band, but it is even more rare to find someone who dislikes them. From rap fans to punk to indie guys, just about everyone likes their output to some degree.

Paul's Botique is their best, though Check Your Head is pretty great as well. Hello Nasty has it's moments, but falls short in comparison to previous works, and the less said about To The 5 Burroughs, the better.

outside of their (sometimes) neat soul jazz instrumental rip-offs, no one over the age of 25 should listen to the beastie boys. i used to swear by them. then i turned 25.

I actually haven't listened to one of their albums since I turned 25, either. I don't think I'd outright dismiss them though. Check Your Head was always my favorite, and one I loved from probably 10th grade forward; "The Blue Nun" has found its way onto many a mix disc as either a transitional piece or a completely confusing opener (I thought that using it to lead into M83's "Don't Save Us From The Flames" was particularly jarring). I have never once listened to anything on To the Five Boroughs except the first single.