TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TMC1982

Was WrestleMania 6 the End of the '80s Boom

Kind of like how WrestleMania 17 (from 2001 in Houston) is generally preceived to be the end of the "Attidude Era". I think that it's safe to say that WrestleMania III (from 1987 from the Pontiac Silverdome) was the peak of the '80s wrestling boom.

I would argue that WrestleMania VI in 1990 was the end of the boom because several things happend:

*Hulk Hogan cleanly dropped the World Title to the Ultimate Warrior in what could be seen as a "passing of the torch" deal (i.e. "The Guy" in the WWF).

*By 1990, WrestleMania had gotten so big, that they were doing it outside of the United States (in Toronto, Canada at the SkyDome).

*Andre the Giant went back to being a face (he initially went heel for his match with Hogan at WrestleMania III, and to put as many guys over as possible during the twilight of his career) after dumping Bobby Heenan as his manager.

*It was the last WrestleMania to be called by Gorilla Monsoon and Jesse Ventura.

After that, I would suggest that the WWF slowly went into a transitional period up until WrestleMania X in 1994 (which I consider, the birth of the "New Generation" era). Although, for a time, they went back to Hogan as their "bread and butter" after things with Warrior didn't really pan out as originally planned.

The boom was hurt by accumalating so much talent at once in some ways as guys who could've been brought in and given a solid top guy push were caught in the mid card in 85-86-87 and by 1988 Hogan had run out of opponents and had to return to feuds with Savage and Dibiase (and One Man Gang to a lesser extent)

Had Hogan been able to kept being fed heels, both he and Warrior would have benefited and the 1990 drop off wouldn't have been so severe IMO

Kind of like how WrestleMania 17 (from 2001 in Houston) is generally preceived to be the end of the "Attidude Era". I think that it's safe to say that WrestleMania III (from 1987 from the Pontiac Silverdome) was the peak of the '80s wrestling boom.

I would argue that WrestleMania VI in 1990 was the end of the boom because several things happend:

*Hulk Hogan cleanly dropped the World Title to the Ultimate Warrior in what could be seen as a "passing of the torch" deal (i.e. "The Guy" in the WWF).

*By 1990, WrestleMania had gotten so big, that they were doing it outside of the United States (in Toronto, Canada at the SkyDome).

*Andre the Giant went back to being a face (he initially went heel for his match with Hogan at WrestleMania III, and to put as many guys over as possible during the twilight of his career) after dumping Bobby Heenan as his manager.

Even though Hogan was supposed to have "passed the torch" he really never went away from the WWF until 93. I tend to think that WrestleMania IX was really the end of the 80's boom, which might explain why I stopped watching for the next 7 years. It wasn't until then when the WFF really started promoting guys like Undertaker, Hart, Yokozuna and tried thier hardest to distance themselves from guys like Hogan and Savage. It also became comically cartoonish at that point with gimmicks like Doink and so forth

*It was the last WrestleMania to be called by Gorilla Monsoon and Jesse Ventura.

After that, I would suggest that the WWF slowly went into a transitional period up until WrestleMania X in 1994 (which I consider, the birth of the "New Generation" era). Although, for a time, they went back to Hogan as their "bread and butter" after things with Warrior didn't really pan out as originally planned.

Financially, probably. But as a fan, I always viewed the end being another big dome show, that being Wrestlemania VIII. At Wrestlemania VIII you had Piper passing the torch to Bret Hart, Warrior's last Wrestlemania until XII, Hogan's retirement, Robert's last Wrestlemania until XII, Duggan's last Wrestlemania, Santana's last Wrestlemania (dark matches don't count), Flair's only Wrestlemania for ten years, Savage's last real big moment, and you have the next generation going over up and down the card (Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Tatanka, Owen Hart, Undertaker). It very much felt like an end of an era.