TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alfdogg

Gravy Train

So, last night I made some sausage gravy out of the packets, and apparently added too much water, because the stuff has not thickened at all, even after sitting in the fridge overnight. Is there anyway to salvage this gravy, or is it trash?

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Trash.

Just make some real gravy, dude. Brown some sausage, remove the meat, then take the pan drippings and add some flour. Stir it 'til the flour cooks, and add in a cup or so of milk. When it starts to thicken, add the sausage and stir. It's easy and it fuckin' rules.

Guest Vitamin X

It also helps to not add too much flour all at once, or to sift it through a sieve as you do it as well, so that it doesn't start out being too clumpy. I remember that being a problem when I started making my own gravy, but yeah that packet stuff is gross.

I use bacon instead of sausage, and I put in a lot of black pepper. I also use a whisk and make sure I get all the "bacon leavins" off the bottom of the pan as I stir.

Agent's recipe of course works for just about any meat you'd use. I made turkey gravy on thanksgiving that was little else but the turkey drippings in the roasting pan and me whisking flour into it over medium heat.

Packet gravy is way too salty for my liking. We unfortunately had a dinner ruined out at a diner when they decided to cover my pot roast in this disgusting, brown "gravy" that tasted like salt mixed with some meat juices and water. Truly awful.

Agent's recipe of course works for just about any meat you'd use. I made turkey gravy on thanksgiving that was little else but the turkey drippings in the roasting pan and me whisking flour into it over medium heat.

Packet gravy is way too salty for my liking. We unfortunately had a dinner ruined out at a diner when they decided to cover my pot roast in this disgusting, brown "gravy" that tasted like salt mixed with some meat juices and water. Truly awful.

Whenever I get stuff in a diner or restaurant I always have them put it on the side, to avoid this exact thing from happening.