TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TMC1982

Mel Gibson Unenthusiatic About Lethal Weapon 5

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a146573/g...eapon.html?imdb

Mel Gibson has ruled out a return to the Lethal Weapon franchise.

The actor, who starred as cop Martin Riggs in the first four instalments of the action series, told MTV that he has little interest in reprising the role.

"I couldn't imagine going back there to try to revive that one," he said. "I think we got everything we could out of it."

Interest in a new Lethal Weapon was sparked last year when original writer Shane Black penned an outline for a fifth movie, attracting producer Joel Silver. However, according to series director Richard Donner, the film collapsed when Gibson snubbed an offer to return.

"Of course these things always come around," Gibson continued. "Five though? Five?! Please."

Gibson will return to the big screen in November after a six-year absence to star in Martin Campbell's Edge Of Darkness.

I kind of torn between whether or not a Lethal Weapon 5 is a good idea. At one end, Gibson needs to win his fans and public support back after the controversy surrounding his drunken driving/anti-Semetic remarks scandal. Also, Harrison Ford during a fourth Indiana Jones, Bruce Willis doing a fourth Die Hard, Sylvester Stallone doing a sixth Rocky and fourth Rambo, Arnold Schwarzenegger doing a third Terminator (12 years after the second), and recently, Eddie Murphy planning to do a fourth Beverly Hills Cop are recent examples of older actors revisting well known action-adventure franchises in order to prove that they can still kick ass.

On the other end, I kind of agree with Gibson that it's going to be awfully hard to figure out other places to take the Lethal Weapon saga. The fourth one felt like a big old family reunion, with the "Why Can't We Be Friends" montage at the end, seemingly further driving home the point that this was going to be the last one. Plus, I kind of like the fact that in the first one, Martin Riggs is this burned out, depressed, suicidal cop, and by the fourth movie, he's able to remarry and becomes a father (talk about character evolution). Gibson was reluctant to do a Lethal Weapon 4, but decided to go for it after receiving a fat paycheck.

The only way that I could see a Lethal Weapon 5 working is that they do a geopolticial storyline that's relevant to whatever is going on in the news right now. Like the second one, talked about aparthide, the third one talked about gun control, and the fourth one talked about slavery and immigration issues.

Hell, I think he was ready to retire in part 1!

In fact, I sorta remember he was scheduled to retire in all four of them.

Doing a part 5 would mean someone within the family dynamic would need to die. And even then, we've did the "mad Roger" episode when they kidnapped his daughter and nearly burned his family alive.

The series is dead. I appreciate Shane Black is trying to get his life back in order after his meltdown and I enjoyed Kiss Kiss Bang Bang a lot but this is the wrong series to try to continue. It ended.

As a stand alone series it's pretty much over. However, if Fox and Warners could work out a deal I'd love to see a Die Hard meets Lethal Weapon crossover with McClane back in L.A. (or maybe Riggs and Murtaugh go to NYC).

Given Gibson's anti Semetic rant the ending of Lethal Weapon 4 is hilarious to watch now, with the Rabbi marrying them and all.

Yeah, it pretty much became a running joke throughout the series that Murtaugh was ready to retire in every film. And I had no idea Mel Gibson was going to be in another movie, since I thought he quit acting.

I think Danny Glover turned this down awhile back too, but I read some kind of dirtsheet that said if they got Gibson, they'd make it without Glover.

I think Danny Glover turned this down awhile back too, but I read some kind of dirtsheet that said if they got Gibson, they'd make it without Glover.

So basically, NOT Lethal Weapon. Just a movie they would call Lethal Weapon.

I'm expecting the announcement of the remake shortly.

Yeah, it pretty much became a running joke throughout the series that Murtaugh was ready to retire in every film. And I had no idea Mel Gibson was going to be in another movie, since I thought he quit acting.

He hasn't. He was filming a movie in Boston that's coming out this year

Hell, I think he was ready to retire in part 1!

In fact, I sorta remember he was scheduled to retire in all four of them.

Doing a part 5 would mean someone within the family dynamic would need to die. And even then, we've did the "mad Roger" episode when they kidnapped his daughter and nearly burned his family alive.

The series is dead. I appreciate Shane Black is trying to get his life back in order after his meltdown and I enjoyed Kiss Kiss Bang Bang a lot but this is the wrong series to try to continue. It ended.

Wouldn't Danny Glover's character be in his 70s now (thus hindering things crediblity wise further)? The first movie, which came out in 1987 frequently brought up the fact that Roger Murtaugh was 50 years old (even though in real life, Glover is ten years younger). Personally, I would rather have them spin-off Chris Rock's character (who was introduced in the fourth one as Danny Glover's eldest daughter's "baby's daddy"), Lee Butters rather than try to trot out old as dirt Gibson and Glover for a fifth time.

I can see the Lethal Weapon remake now with Colin Farrell and Jamie Foxx

Don;t hate on Crockett/Tubbs 2.0.

Shit, the best thing about Lethal Weapon 4 was Jet Li and we all know it... I don't want to see a broken down Riggs and Murtaugh try and get through another movie with lame racial jokes and barely any action from either of them. They should have stopped at the second movie.

I actually find Lethal Weapon 2 to be very overrated. Most people think its the best sequel, but I disagree, I thought both 3 and 4 were better. I guess its because I thought the villains sucked in that movie, and it also does something I HATE in movies by changing a character's backstory in the sequel (having it turn out the South African killed Rigg's wife). The only thing I liked about Lethal Weapon 2 was the "It's just been revoked!" one-liner.

I actually find Lethal Weapon 2 to be very overrated. Most people think its the best sequel, but I disagree, I thought both 3 and 4 were better. I guess its because I thought the villains sucked in that movie, and it also does something I HATE in movies by changing a character's backstory in the sequel (having it turn out the South African killed Rigg's wife). The only thing I liked about Lethal Weapon 2 was the "It's just been revoked!" one-liner.

Still, it can be argued that the third movie was when the series really jumped the shark. That was when there was an even greater emphasis on broad comedy (the first two were considerably darker and harder edged), the introduction of Rene Russo as Riggs' female counterpart/new love interest (I guess this was the filmmakers' "politically correct" attempt at giving Riggs and Murtaugh a female partner a la Batgirl joining up with Batman and Robin and to make up for the crappy treatment of women in the first two, like Murtaugh's daughter getting kidnapped and Riggs' South African girlfriend getting drowned), too much of a good thing from Joe Pesci (was was becoming the Jar Jar Binks of the Lethal Weapon saga), and a considerably weaker story (the whole "guns are bad even though this is an action movie" angle) and villain.

I actually find Lethal Weapon 2 to be very overrated

No way you're dissing Joss Ackland's awesome South African accent... And clearly, the best line/scene in Lethal Weapon 2 is Danny Glover & Joe Pesci going into the Consulate, using the diversion of 'My friend wants to emigrate to South Africa' schtick!

Damn straight LW3 was when the series jumped the shark. In the first two movies there were scenes that were actually laugh out loud funny, the third didn;t have one, and I was rather bored with the fourth.

And TMC1982 is right on the money about Rene Russo.

The only way this could work is if both are retired or behind the desk police men, maybe Murtaugh the chief of police while Rock and a new partner of his goes through the same kind of reckless shit that causes hell for Riggs and Murtaugh now... but I don't think anybody wants to see that. I mean you'd get shit like Gibson taking away potentially someone like Shia Lebeouf's badge for being an "out of control" rookie cop while Chris Rock has to show him the ropes.

No way you're dissing Joss Ackland's awesome South African accent... And clearly, the best line/scene in Lethal Weapon 2 is Danny Glover & Joe Pesci going into the Consulate, using the diversion of 'My friend wants to emigrate to South Africa' schtick!

Well, I did think some of the comedy in that movie was pretty good, but I just don't find the movie enjoyable as a whole at all. Still, I always wondered what the hell was up with that one scene where Riggs says "You guys better get outta here, cause I'm gonna fuck your ass!" I always thought that line was so awkward, and I end up laughing at it every time.

The only way this could work is if both are retired or behind the desk police men, maybe Murtaugh the chief of police while Rock and a new partner of his goes through the same kind of reckless shit that causes hell for Riggs and Murtaugh now... but I don't think anybody wants to see that. I mean you'd get shit like Gibson taking away potentially someone like Shia Lebeouf's badge for being an "out of control" rookie cop while Chris Rock has to show him the ropes.

For some reason, I'd actually want to see that. It'd be a beautiful train wreck.

Well, I did think some of the comedy in that movie was pretty good, but I just don't find the movie enjoyable as a whole at all. Still, I always wondered what the hell was up with that one scene where Riggs says "You guys better get outta here, cause I'm gonna fuck your ass!" I always thought that line was so awkward, and I end up laughing at it every time.

Maybe Mel Gibson should do a movie with the Iron Sheik! :D