TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewTS

Dead Space Extraction for Wii

"EA and Eurocom craft a ground-up Wii prequel with first-person on-rails gameplay."

http://wii.ign.com/articles/954/954895p1.html

Trailer:

http://wii.ign.com/dor/objects/14320...er_021709.html

(Yeah, this was mentioned in the Wii thread, but here's media, so whoop.)

Publisher: EA

Developer: EA Redwood Shores Studio, Eurocom (assistance)

Release Date: Fall 2009

In Dead Space Extraction, gamers will take on the role of an all-new heroine and join a group of colonists struggling to escape the infection that has corrupted the Aegis VII mining colony. In a release, revealed a few general details about the game, stating, "Dead Space Extraction introduces new characters, weapons, enemies, puzzles and cooperative multiplayer gameplay."

Yay, another rail shooter. The Wii needed another one, I guess.

I'm actually happy they're bringing out rail shooters, seeing as they brought out the Wii zapper. Most companies have a gun/ attachment, and then shit all games for them.

Yeah, I guess 4 is a lot.

Jesus Drew.

Yeah, I guess 4 is a lot.

Jesus Drew.

Try again. Maybe 4 *good* ones.

Ghost Squad

Resident Evil UC

House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return

House of the Dead: Overkill

Link's Crossbow Training

Dragon Quest Swords

Nerf N-Strike

Samurai Warriors Katana

Spy Games: Elevator Mission

Target Terror

Wild West Guns (WiiWare)

Counter Force

(Maybe SW Katana / DQS are Rail Slashers if you wanna be technical, but same diff imo.)

Link's Crossbow Training

Came free with the zapper. Hardly a "must have release"

Dragon Quest Swords

Is this a shooting game?

Nerf N-Strike

Samurai Warriors Katana

Spy Games: Elevator Mission

Target Terror

Wild West Guns (WiiWare)

Counter Force

With the exception of WWG, they're just cheap nasty games that people who know what they're doing ignore. Hardly a ground breaking case for "does the Wii really need another on the rails shooter?"

cheap nasty games that people who know what they're doing ignore.

Well, yes. We're talking about the Wii.

So yes, there's cheap shovelware, ports, cash-ins made with re-used assets, mainly. That last of which this appears to be. Even a "decent" one like Umbrella Chronicles still felt really hollow. Only Ghost Squad didn't seem like a hollow attempt at making a quick buck (though it was an arcade port).

It's par for the course for a developer to make their Wii exclusive "new" game in a series to be something dumbed-down and easy to play like a rail-shooter. This is less of a shock and more like a "yeah, it figures."

When I think of the top 3...5...10 genres that the Wii is lacking in and could use new entries for, "rail shooter" doesn't really come up on my radar.

Ghost Squad

Resident Evil UC

House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return

House of the Dead: Overkill

..the only worthy ones. So I don't see having a Dead Space prequel on rails as over-saturating the market of rail shooters on the Wii, especially if it turns out to be good.

I'm all for it. From what I've been told, Dead Space on 360 wasn't all that good, but it's a game I would have liked to try. I've got high(ish) hopes for this.

I'm all for it. From what I've been told, Dead Space on 360 wasn't all that good, but it's a game I would have liked to try. I've got high(ish) hopes for this.

I actually liked it, and once I get it back from a friend I'm going to try it on Impossible Mode. The only bad thing is that once you really can get through the game with just the Plasma Cutter once you get it powered up. I like the Ripper the most though. Shooting out saw blades and knee capping ghouls with them = hours of fun. Just don't get caught by one of the tentacles while using it. Almost impossible to hit the weak point with it, and switching weapons takes time.