TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Obi Chris Kenobi

Book Club

Obviously, we can't FORCE people to do this, however...

Once a month, or so, someone recommends a book (or a book is selected another way) and we read it. Then post on here what we think about it, and where its going. Price limits could be set so we're not out of pocket too much. And if the book sucks, the user gets paper cuts in between his fingers. If he has webbed feet and fingers, the paper cut goes all the way down.

I'm open to suggestions, however, I'd like to request if someone does suggest the book, they link a few places we can buy it (on the cheap if possible).

Skimming through the Book Recommendations thread - making it useful - here are a few suggestions:

2666 by Roberto Balano (recommended by: tonyjaymzretro)

The Lazarus Project by Aleksandar Hemon (Recommened by Amazon)

I'm open to suggestions, however, I'd like to request if someone does suggest the book, they link a few places we can buy it (on the cheap if possible).

Skimming through the Book Recommendations thread - making it useful - here are a few suggestions:

2666 by Roberto Balano (recommended by: tonyjaymzretro)

The Lazarus Project by Aleksandar Hemon (Recommened by Amazon)

"The Question of Bruno" by Hemon is really, really good.

Bolano's works are, generally, just too damn long!

Yeah, I'll be down for this. Just a suggestion, but maybe we should select books with a copy available to download over the internet? It'd just be cheaper and more accessable for people. Well, I would rather download books to read than go out and purchase physical copies anyways.

Yeah, I'll be down for this. Just a suggestion, but maybe we should select books with a copy available to download over the internet? It'd just be cheaper and more accessable for people. Well, I would rather download books to read than go out and purchase physical copies anyways.

I'm also up for this. I second the downloadable book idea.

Yes, let's have a book club where practically no effort is needed on behalf of its participants. Let's make sure it's a book with readily available SparkNotes, too, so no one actually has to read an entire book.

Look, I'm not interested in participating in this, but there are things called libraries and libraries have lots and lots books. It's insane, the books they have. This way, you don't have to spend any money if you don't want to, plus you support an institution that's slowly dying.

You make a great point, Inc. The city library is about a block from my office and I've never set foot inside of it. Maybe I should stop wasting money on shipments from Amazon and actually support something that benefits the public. May your swift kick in the ass be what I need to finally get in there.

I fucking love the library, and it loves me. The fact I can reserve practically any book or DVD online and then just come by pick it up and it's mine for three weeks for free is fucking awesome. I'm also part of the most widely used library system in the country (19.9 million circulation!), according to what I've heard. Go Multnomah County!

Count me in, as long as I can find them in my library.

How long will we have to finish each book? It takes me a while to finish them (cause I'm pants-oh-head retarded) and I take up too much time by reading weekly comics.