TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TMC1982

Improving Current Sports Coverage By Network

If you had the chance to play fantasy TV executive, what certain changes would you implement in hopes of improving a specific TV network's sports coverage at the moment. I'm not going to spend a whole lot of time listing what each network currently pays rights fees over, so I'm just going to list the networks and you give me your input. I'm not going to focus on speciality channels like MLB Network, NFL Network, NBA TV, NHL Network, Speed, Golf Channel, Tennis Channel, etc. right now. I'm also not going to try to focus on regional sports outlets like YES, MSG, NESN, SNY, MASN, etc.

Broadcast network:

ABC (even though technically, it and ESPN are at the moment, one of the same)

CBS

FOX

NBC

Cable:

ESPN

HBO

Turner (i.e. TBS and TNT)

Showtime

Versus

Fox could get rid of Digger on their NASCAR coverage but Im not expecting any of you to have a clue what Im talking about.

12092008_digger_extra.jpg

It was cute when the dumb thing would pop up whenever they went to their embedded track cam but now the stupid thing has its own cartoon in the prerace show and they're selling t-shirts and they even stuck some poor person in a Digger suit to walk around the track.

Its even more annoying than the animated Baseball they used a while back.

Broadcast network:

ABC:

* With golf, why do they have the British Open, and only the British Open? I don't watch enough basketball to fairly comment on it, but their coverage seemed pretty good from what I've seen of it. Keep Monday Night Football as is, but get Kornheiser in a studio. He looks forty years older in the cold.

CBS:

* Keep it goin. Jim Nantz may have the best job in America. "Sports Spectacular" as a lead-in on Saturdays and Sundays is a great way to build a feel for that day's event, and honour tradition. Their golf coverage is still the best in the business, and they were wise to pick up Nick Faldo and Ian Baker-Finch when ABC lost golf. If I'm going to nitpick, get all of the FedEx Cup playoffs, or none of them. The first event out of four? That seems silly.

FOX:

* I hate the robots during NFL bumpers, and this has been mentioned, but why do they show yesterday's baseball highlights at 3:30/3:45? I don't really hate Joe Buck, but I wouldn't lose sleep if he was gone.

NBC:

* Same as the other two golf questions at ABC/CBS. Why the final three legs of the FedEx Cup, but not the first? Why the last leg of the West Coast Swing, then all of March before the Masters? (Although, that could be so CBS can bolster its Masters coverage). I do kind of like the 'only big event' feel NBC gets (Wimbledon, US Open, Ryder Cup, Kentucky Derby). If Johnny Miller left, I'd be thrilled, but I seem to be the only one who doesn't like him. I'd also like them to have Sunday hockey coverage not just starting after the All-Star Game, but all season. Surely a few matinees wouldn't interfere with football. Speaking of football, FNiA is great, but who the fuck gave Keith Olbermann a job there?

I don't get any of the American cable channels, but have no problems with Canadian stations TSN, Sportsnet, or The Score. I'm sure some Canucks can pick up that slack.

Broadcast network:

ABC:

* With golf, why do they have the British Open, and only the British Open?

Because they lost the TV contract with the PGA Tour, but still had 3 years left on their contract with the R&A (expires this year).

NBC:

Why the last leg of the West Coast Swing, then all of March before the Masters?

That's due to CBS' college basketball commitments.

Why no rugby on any of the networks? I know it's not a popular sport in America, but damn I bet it'd get some ratings if they showed taped international matches (or even domestic Super League) on ESPN 2 during the afternoon instead of bowling, pool or strongman competitions!

They showed USA 7's on ABC the other day and that was awesome.

Guest Czech please!
Turner (i.e. TBS and TNT)

Fire Reggie Miller.

That'th ridiculuth!

Other than Reggie, TNT's NBA coverage is pretty much the best national coverage of any league and there's not a lot to fix there. Inside the NBA is easily the best studio show.

TBS baseball is pretty bad, though. They got too eager to latch on to GwynnRipkenMania in 2007 without considering that one of them sounds like Urkel and the other doesn't have any thoughts. Their dependence on recently retired/playoff-inactive players means that nobody is bold enough to speak out or give anything that resembles pointed analysis. Chip Caray is a parody of a play-by-play announcer; Don Orsillo isn't far behind. They also continue to employ Dick Stockton. What's worst of all is that they had one of the best and best-known baseball booths in Skip & Pete, and not only did Turner Sports snub them for the postseason coverage, they even tried taking them off Braves coverage earlier this decade for "more national appeal." They were national appeal! It's completely asinine and mind-boggling until you remember that this is the same tangled bureaucratic hydra that sprung WCW on a defenseless populace.

I've been over the NFL on NBC thing countless times. Cut the studio show down to Costas, Collinsworth, and Peter King; Keith Olbermann is too politically charged for mass sports consumption, Dan Patrick is bad, and the rest are just jock clutter. Michaels and Madden are what they are. No sense in tampering with it.

Damaramu, there's no rugby on TV because nobody cares about rugby except white kids at college and it's now cheaper and safer for ESPN2 to just show Skip Bayless's stretched face ranting about stupid bullshit than it is to carry or produce marginal sports coverage. They can't be arsed to talk about hockey, which is drawing over 20,000 people a night in certain American cities. Why would they talk about rugby?