TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

WEC 39: Brown vs. Garcia

It looks like that Brown/Faber match is going to headline the first WEC PPV. It was reported on fiveouncesofpain and confirmed by CindyO on the UG forum. It will have a price tag of $39.95.

Brown/Faber II is probably as big of a fight as WEC can produce, but I'm not feeling it for PPV.

The only way WEC guys are ever going to be anywhere near the stratosphere of most UFC talent is to start using UFC TV to hype them up. But doing so would ruin the credibility of the brand, so they are stuck. Without UFC's hype machine and it's penetration in the market behind WEC, it's always going to be it's step child on a shitty network.

As it is, not even Faber has enough power to headline a PPV and draw. They had the best chance with Faber/Pulver, and I really don't think that would have done it either. It's one thing to get a good rating. It's a different beast to make people pay to watch you.

The problem with WEC on PPV is that they might feel the need to overcompensate by stacking the show which (as we've seen with recent UFC's) can leave future events a little bare in terms of star-power. Faber/Brown II and Varner/Cerrone II would be great main and co-mains for the show and they'd still have Torres around to defend the BW title, plus they're adding a 125 division soon enough.

They seem to have a good rotation with shows. Every show you either get Torres, Faber, Varner, or another title fight. And if you're lucky you can get 2 of those on a show

Even though Brown looked extremely impressive against Garcia, I'm gonna pick Faber to squeak out a decision win in the rematch. I think he took Brown a bit lightly and did some silly stuff with the reverse elbow attempt, before getting caught on the button.

I think he plays it much closer to the vest this time around and eeks out a close one.