TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Czech please!

Jeff Jarrett was the coolest

Guest Czech please!

when he wore blue and orange and didn't pretend to be a country singer. That was one of my favorite theme songs as a kid and now I can't find it. Why did everyone make fun of poor Jeff Jarrett.

I wonder how often Jim Johnston employed real drums in his works. Those cymbal crashes always sound the same in WWF themes. Obvious samples IMO.

Guest Czech please!

Yeahhhhh, that's the stuff. Organ, chimes, simulated choir, and synth pads. What a combo. All it needs is an orchestra hit.

I was really excited when Jeff Jarrett came back in that form, because I liked him in WCW but thought he looked ridiculous and I was like "finally they're taking Jeff Jarrett seriously" but then Vic Venom kept making fun of his tights and calling him "the Aztec Warrior" and then Tennessee Lee came and ruined the whole thing by making him look ridiculous again till X-Pac turned him into Jeff Jarrett Hates Vagina.

I remember a segment on Jakked about Jim Johnston's studio process and I think he did use keyboards and drum machines for all his percussion. I also remember that he described the Rock's music circa "do you smell what the Rock is cookin'' as being "a royal fanfare that evolved into hip-hop" or something. I guess it kinda was. Man, thoughts went into wrestling music once.

I liked Aztec Jarrett. It was a shame when they made him go back to the country music gimmick after having him run it down on his debut they way they did. Made him look really bad.

Remember when Road Dogg was supposed to be coming out with a country music album?

Guest Czech please!

For some reason I had a fascination with non-gimmicky wrestlers when I was little, or wrestlers who shed their gimmick ways and evolved, like this iteration of Jeff Jarrett, or Tom Brandi, or the New Age Outlaws. This is why I was the first kid on the block to embrace HHH in 1999 after he left d-generation x. The exception to disprove this rule would be when the Undertaker shaved his head and came out to a generic vamp, because that's taking it too far.

I think what also killed Aztec Jarrett was when they had him joined that NWA group and he was the North American title which I don't remember him defending. I mean did any of the WWF fans know or care about the NWA and the wrestlers in the group besides Jarrett?

When Taker turned heel and cut his hair he still had "Rollin'" as a theme. Are you talking about that piece of ass-rock they gave him as a theme around the time he ended Hogan's last title run? That theme later had vocals added and was titled "You're Gonna Pay," and much like the DX-Rage rumors there was much speculation that this theme was performed by Guns N' Roses even though the singer on it sounded nothing like Axl. It was a remarkably bad theme for an Undertaker-level star.

Re: Jarrett, I really don't think the country singer gimmick was bad at all. Maybe in '93 the idea of using a wrestling career as a stepping stone to another form of entertainment was ludicrous, but today half the women in WWE are there to get exposure for acting and modeling jobs. Of course, since he didn't sing at all until the summer of '95 (and even then he wasn't really singing) it's fair to say that his plan wasn't so successful. But there are always bullshit artists in the world of entertainment, aren't there? Terrible outfits, though. The blinking hat was appropriately tacky for the gimmick.

I think what also killed Aztec Jarrett was when they had him joined that NWA group and he was the North American title which I don't remember him defending. I mean did any of the WWF fans know or care about the NWA and the wrestlers in the group besides Jarrett?

Unlikely. This was just another sad attempt by Vince to recreate the "rival company/faction is invading our turf" angle. Didn't Bob Holly & Bart Gunn hold the NWA Tag Team Titles as well as the New Midnight Express? Bodacious & Bombastic.. fuck that was awful.

If I'm remembering correctly, Jarrett beat Barry Windham (still a New Blackjack at the time) on Raw shortly before the Royal Rumble. Either on the same night, or the following week, Windham turned on Bradshaw and joined the NWA faction. The only title defenses I can remember for Jarrett was against Bradshaw at No Way Out, and I could have sworn he defended against Owen Hart on a Saturday Night Raw the following week. As for the NWA Tag belts, I know the Headbangers held them for a few weeks at one point. I think they beat the Rock 'n Roll Express and then lost them to the Holly & Gunn, but I might be wrong.

I've always liked Jeff Jarrett during his WWF runs. Czech's non-gimmick explanation for liking Jarrett during the Aztec warrior phase pretty much is how I was, too. I did like him better once he cut his hair, though.

When Taker turned heel and cut his hair he still had "Rollin'" as a theme. Are you talking about that piece of ass-rock they gave him as a theme around the time he ended Hogan's last title run? That theme later had vocals added and was titled "You're Gonna Pay," and much like the DX-Rage rumors there was much speculation that this theme was performed by Guns N' Roses even though the singer on it sounded nothing like Axl. It was a remarkably bad theme for an Undertaker-level star.

That song was hilarious because the lyrics were so completely, thoroughly bad. I'm like 90% sure there was seriously a line in it that was like "'cause badasses, always kicking asshole's ass!" Like, I hated when he had "Rollin'" as his theme but compared to "You're Gonna Pay" it was a work of genius.

Didn't they only change Taker's theme from Rollin' to the others to diminish his pop that he was still getting as a heel? It definitely worked when they first made the change, because when he debuted the first iteration of the new theme (sans lyrics), it was AWFUL, and the crowd reacted with dead silence. The theme then got, um, ramped up I guess, and then they added the lyrics. I didn't mind the lyrics, but the middle version of that theme was the best.

Rollin isn't better than anything.

I like to give Taker a pass here. For as awkward and as many lowlights as the period had for him, it also contained some of the best and most fun work of his career.

It definitely worked when they first made the change, because when he debuted the first iteration of the new theme (sans lyrics), it was AWFUL, and the crowd reacted with dead silence.

As someone here said the night of Judgment Day 2002:"Sounds like a jobber's theme."

"Good answer, but I don't sleep, Big Man."

Remember right before Taker got injured how they were slowly morphing him into Biker Taker? That was awesome, plus for those like 2 months he had this cool theme. And this awesome promo. Good stuff. I wished he would of not gotten injured, 'cuz we would have gotten some fun slow character transformation stuff and not just,

"Hey, I'm back on a Harley."

*womp*

*womp*

*womp*

*punch*

*punch*

*punch*

"BAH GAWD BEST HANDS IN THE BUSINESS!"

The theme then got, um, ramped up I guess, and then they added the lyrics. I didn't mind the lyrics, but the middle version of that theme was the best.

This one?

Yes, of the three themes, I think that one was the best.