TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
At Home

Makin' Music with Peter Bone

Inspired by the off-topic banter in one of Kinetic's failed thread, this thread is for all the discussion about playing music, making music, music theory, and whatever else you would like to share with us. Pointy guitars give you VD.

So let's get the ball rolling on computer music production. If you're just getting into working with your computer, I'd really recommend looking into the Korg Nano series of controllers. Basically, they're plug-and-play controllers that come in three forms: a keyboard, trigger pads, and mixers. Each come with software to help you get the ball rolling, and each are fairly inexpensive at $50 for the keyboard, and $60 for the pads and mixers. If anything, look into getting the Nanokeys just so you can stop using your QWERTY keys as a keyboard. These keys are velocity sensitive, which means the harder you press down on the keys, the louder it gets, just like a real piano. These controllers don't make sound on their own, of course, but they send MIDI messages in which to control your virtual studio technology instrument (vsti's), or audio units (au's) if you're on a mac. Anyways, the keyboard comes with the Korg M1 LE software, which is basically just a vsti that copies the synth engine used in their M1 synth. If you're looking to get more into designing sounds instead of just playing them, then this is the place. The M1 LE will begin to get you familiarized with working with envelope functions, low frequency oscillators (lfo's), low/high peak filters, voices, and frequency modulation if you choose so. Size wise, they're all the width of my 13" macbook, a few inches deep, and about a centimeter thick. They only require a free USB port, and will come with the drivers necessary to get going.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php...no&go=Go%21

Speaking of Digital Audio Workstations (DAWs), I see a number of people use Fruity Loops. My experience with it was limited, but I use a mac, so it's not an option for me. I use both Ableton Live and Logic Pro. These are fairly advanced DAWs, and you nor I will probably be able to utilize all their features, but what they do, they do well. However, if you're looking for a less comprehensive DAW, I've heard great things about Behringer's energyXT 2.5 program, which is tiny in size, but is, as I hear, like assembling building blocks. I'll report back once I give it a go.

That, coupled with the fact that he'll never get a Pitchfork review, is probably why he's a sad black man.

What's the most comprehensive DAW you've used? Fruity Loops more or less than the ones that work well with your Mac?

Well I hardly have ever worked with fruity loops, but that was a couple of years ago. The most comprehensive DAW I've used is Pro Tools, the industry standard, but Logic and Live will give me pretty much the same results, if not more.

So, as someone with a Mac, who has absolutely no knowledge of making digital music (other than fuckin' around with my swank-ass synthesizer), but thinks it sounds like fun...where do I start. I get the idea that Live is for more advanced, uh, musicians (?) so where do I start?

So, as someone with a Mac, who has absolutely no knowledge of making digital music (other than fuckin' around with my swank-ass synthesizer), but thinks it sounds like fun...where do I start. I get the idea that Live is for more advanced, uh, musicians (?) so where do I start?

Bitchin, man, those Microns are pretty killer.

Live is applicable to almost anyone, but, just like your Micron, you get out what you put in. It can be as basic or as in depth as you want. What are you looking to do with a DAW? Anything specific, or just record yourself?

Right now I just want to make pretty simple music and get a basic understanding of what I can do and how I can do it.

Could I record a live instrument and then digitally fuck with it in a DAW? That could be pretty cool.

Right now I just want to make pretty simple music and get a basic understanding of what I can do and how I can do it.

Could I record a live instrument and then digitally fuck with it in a DAW? That could be pretty cool.

Yes, you could definitely do that. The sampler function in Live is quite awesome at this, as well as the many effects built right in. You can find it on pretty much any torrent site.

Recording a live instrument might be a little more tricky though. Seeing as how you don't have to mic a keyboard like you would a guitar amp, it's probably a little easier, but you still might need to get an interface. Look around and see what you can find, all you need is one with two line ins, nothing else (except a headphones port).

This is actually the first time I've been in the position of recording, so I don't have anything yet, but I'm going to have my set up done in the next week or so. I'm writing material right now anyways, so I should have stuff soon. Sorry bro :(