TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Vitamin X

The Economics of Bacon

Bacon's too expensive. I refuse to eat the cheap stuff/chicken or turkey bacon. I can get 200 grams of deli-smoked black forest ham for half of what cheap quality bacon would cost.

And no, I don't forget the hot sauce.

Guest Vitamin X

Bacon? Expensive? Must be a lot up there. I consider it as essential as cheese, which is usually more expensive (again, quality). Oh and turkey bacon is not real bacon either, I totally agree. Still sounds like a good meal, though- one I've had a few times before myself.

I think you should try that with a slice of tomato and/or avocado. Trust me, you'll like it.

Bacon? Expensive? Must be a lot up there. I consider it as essential as cheese, which is usually more expensive (again, quality). Oh and turkey bacon is not real bacon either, I totally agree. Still sounds like a good meal, though- one I've had a few times before myself.

I think you should try that with a slice of tomato and/or avocado. Trust me, you'll like it.

Keep in mind I'm jobless right now so "expensive" to me is a bit different then everybody else. Regardless most places right now around here charge around 5.99 and above for bacon and the quality stuff is around 9.99.

Guest Vitamin X

Yikes, that is pretty bad. Cheap bacon here in the States costs like $2-3 a package (which is usually a pound or so), and the better stuff goes from $5-10.

I buy bacon when its cheap (I just got some the other week for $.99 a package). Then I'll take one whole package and cook it all at once in the oven, then bag it in freezer bags/containers. Whenever I want bacon I take it out of the freezer and nuke em (30 seconds on medium per 2 strips). I know this seems like more work when you can buy the already cooked bacon now but Ive had that crap and its not good.

I buy bacon when its cheap (I just got some the other week for $.99 a package). Then I'll take one whole package and cook it all at once in the oven, then bag it in freezer bags/containers. Whenever I want bacon I take it out of the freezer and nuke em (30 seconds on medium per 2 strips). I know this seems like more work when you can buy the already cooked bacon now but Ive had that crap and its not good.

I disagree. Twenty strips of pre-cooked bacon for 4 bucks is awesome, and well worth the extra (roughly) 75 cents. By the way, the 20-strip package is from M&M Meats, which is a phenomenal frozen food store in Canada. The only other notable pre-cooked bacon is Maple Leaf, which is also pretty good.

Discounting the work/price ratio, how good could 99-cent bacon be?

I disagree. Twenty strips of pre-cooked bacon for 4 bucks is awesome, and well worth the extra (roughly) 75 cents. By the way, the 20-strip package is from M&M Meats, which is a phenomenal frozen food store in Canada. The only other notable pre-cooked bacon is Maple Leaf, which is also pretty good.

Discounting the work/price ratio, how good could 99-cent bacon be?

My 99 cent bacon was originally $4.99, buy 1 get one free and I had 2 $.75 cent coupons that doubled because I know a grocery store that is nice like that. I forget what brand it is though..I might have to root around in the freezer and check.

EDIT:

My bacon has a first name..its O S C A R.

Alton Brown actually did a good eats episode on making your own bacon in a locker (Scrap Iron Chef) but Im not anywhere near that adventurous.

My 99 cent bacon was originally $4.99, buy 1 get one free and I had 2 $.75 cent coupons that doubled because I know a grocery store that is nice like that. I forget what brand it is though..I might have to root around in the freezer and check.

BOGO on $5 bacon. My n*gga. The best I can do around here is $1.50 bacon after coupons.

Guest Czech please!
Bacon's really become the new internet fad.

Yeah, really. This shit's getting out of hand. I mean, I like bacon (if it's crispy), but I don't love it, and could safely live without it. Did you see that chefs are creating bacon-based desserts? Why? David Sedaris was right: if cooking is an art, we've entered Dada.

Guest Vitamin X
Bacon's really become the new internet fad.

Yeah, really. This shit's getting out of hand. I mean, I like bacon (if it's crispy), but I don't love it, and could safely live without it. Did you see that chefs are creating bacon-based desserts? Why? David Sedaris was right: if cooking is an art, we've entered Dada.

The bacon based desserts actually do work pretty well. There's a reason it's called "the candy of meats". There's of course the bacon maple bar I always talk about and then there was also this sugar glazed praline bacon thing I tried the other day. It really made it a lot like a piece of candy, moreso than in any form I've tried before.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Pork has a natural sweetness to it, and lends itself well to natural sugars and other meats with sweet qualities. Bacon wrapped scallops, for example.

Yeah, I remember watching an HBO documentary on cannibals and one guy said human meat tasted like the finest pork loin you'd ever tasted. I couldn't eat pork loin...well until whenever the next time my Mom made pork loin was.

Yeah, I'm with Czech on this one. I like bacon quite a bit but why the sudden fawning over it? Seems kind of random. I've always been more of a breakfast sausage fan anyways.

Guest Vitamin X

I think part of it has to do with the overall backlash against the health food trends/fads we've seen over the past couple decades. That's why these days we've become fascinated with things like eating contests, enormous monstrosities being offered at restaurants and fast food joints alike (the Monsterburger, anyone?) and then shows like Man vs. Food. People have become so sick and tired of the whole eating healthy and counting calories b.s. that they're embracing "real" or "man" food again. I think the low-carb craze was the last straw for a lot of people- and bacon, being a particularly fatty, greasy food not to mention extremely versatile, is kind of spearheading that "real food but with some moderation" fad.