TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cheech Tremendous

Sports Page in the Business Section

if our indoor soccer team can be successful, we can surely support an NBA team.

That doesn't make any sense. The standards that measure the success of an NBA team are not the same as those for indoor soccer.

Baltimore would be a good site. They have no hockey team, so there's no established winter sports team.

It seems to me that the NBA has more potential sites than any other sport. Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, St. Louis, Seattle, Kansas City. I could see any of those cities supporting a team.

Nobody would give up being a Laker fan for the Kings. Thats not the point. And if the LA area can support 3 teams, why not? Anaheim is a better situation than Sacramento, hands down. Orange County has a population of 3 million, plus the Kings could draw fans from North San Diego County, Riverside and San Bernardino. You have a fanbase already built in, thats not particularly married to the Lakers or Clippers, really. Plus, there's an NBA ready arena just waiting. An owner would be crazy to not consider Anaheim.

If Dodgers fans in Anaheim could switch to the Angels, it's a no brainer some Lakers and Clippers fan in Anaheim could make the switch..

For the same reasons certain suburbs of Chicago don't have tons of Cubs fans.

I still think moving the Kings there is a stupid idea. San Diego doesn't have a team, try shooting a little further south.

San Diego doesn't have an NBA-ready arena, either. Nor do Baltimore and Cincinnati, last I checked.

Is there really a clear geographic/socioeconomic divide between Lakers and Clippers? I figured it was just like 70/30 Lakers throughout the region, irrespective of location. If so, I learned something today.

I'd say it's more like 95/5 if I'm being kind. The only Clipper fans are the ones who fill the building to the tune of 10,000 every so often.

Marlins received approval yesterday to build a new stadium in Miami. I'm so happy Jeffrey Loria's suffering is finally over.

As part of the deal they'll be re-branded the Miami Marlins when the stadium opens in 2012.

Marlins received approval yesterday to build a new stadium in Miami. I'm so happy Jeffrey Loria's suffering is finally over.

I hope it collapses on top of him.

Fuck that guy.

As someone who's a pretty casual baseball fan, I don't entirely understand what Loria did. I actually did a project in my PR class during college where I had to play Loria justifying his late 1997 roster slashing - does two roster slashes supersede two World Series titles in six years?

Loria wasn't the Marlins owner for the 1997 World Series. It was leaving the Expos for dead that makes everyone think he's a piece of shit.

Loria wasn't the Marlins owner for the 1997 World Series. It was leaving the Expos for dead that makes everyone think he's a piece of shit.

That hatred sounds like something I'd get onboard for. Go on....

He pretty much salted the earth as owner of the Expos. Here, read this:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/118868-...-exposnationals

In 2000, Loria's demand for increased broadcast rights' fees was so great that the team could not find any English-speaking radio or television stations to carry their games.

Loria brought from Montreal to Miami the team's computers, all the equipment that didn't have an Expos logo (and a few that did), office equipment, all of the team's scouting reports and other proprietary information. Loria also took the team manager and the entire coaching staff.