TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Star Ocean 3

NHL Discussion

Steve Mason is your Hart Trophy winner. Hands down.

Not since Espo in 1970 has a rookie hit ten shutouts.

While a win over the Lightning doesn't mean a parade is imminent, this is a huge win for the Habs:

* A win over a team they've struggled with this season gives me a little confidence for any potential run-in with the Bruins. I know that sounds more like a preview for Wrestlemania than the playoffs, but, I can dream, can't i?

* They shouldn't have blown the lead, but they didn't roll over and play dead after Tampa's comeback.

* This ties into my above point, but surely the Habs had their eyes on the out-of-town scoreboard tonight, and still won to keep pace with the Panthers.

I'm sick like hell of pulling for the Sabres, but I may have to once more to satsify a bunch of small bets some buddies and I made. In fact, it could benefit me if they played like hell Friday night and ran on fumes at the Bell Centre Saturday. Baby steps, though.

Hey if they win one more, that's a winning streak!

It has happened before!

Shit, they better win Saturday, I've been waiting weeks to put that picture up!

Former Leaf Walt Poddubny died Saturday at 49.

In remembrance:

You see, because he was a Leaf, and the piece I linked to is called Feuilles Mortes, which means Dead Leaves in French. Plus, it was written by the greatest piano composer, Debussy.

I think Mason has a better shot of breaking Sawchuk's record. :)

I really don't want the Ducks to make it to the playoffs. I don't think they'll make it pass the first round and I haven't felt this way about a Ducks team since I started watching them.

You should never root against your team making the playoffs. Don't you want to enjoy playoff hockey?

Anything can happen once playoff hockey begins. Remember your Ducks in 2003? No one gave them a chance against the Wings let alone making the Cup finals.

Because I was new to the Ducks in 2003, I had hope for them. Plus in 2003, they were buyers at the trade deadline. That team was building, this one is rebuilding. I honestly would be happier if the Blues made it because I think they deserve it more considering all the injuries they endured the entire season. I would have been happy if the Kings made it as well.

When the Ducks finally get their team together and rebuilt, I'll be happy for them.

If they really suck next year, at least there will be plenty of leg room in the Honda Center.

I don't understand that. Finishing ninth won't do them better than a first round exit will. It'd be good to get a guy like Bobby Ryan playoff experience now, because he could end up being the best guy on the team.

Us Flames fans sure can be classy.

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Police say a passionate hockey fan made physical threats against the Columbus Blue Jackets in a series of phone calls to the team's arena during a game.

Columbus Police Sgt. Rick Weiner says 52-year-old Peter Stenzel was arrested Thursday and charged with inducing panic for threatening physical harm against the team during its win over the Calgary Flames.

Weiner says police traced the phone calls to Stenzel's Columbus home, where they found him wearing a Flames T-shirt. Police would not say if specific players were targeted or what the threats entailed.

Stenzel was being held at the Franklin County Jail pending a Saturday court hearing.

Blue Jackets spokesman Todd Sharrock says the team will not comment on security matters.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=4020555

Ever since Ales Hemsky went public with his disdain for Mactavish turning him into a checker, the Oilers have shit the bag. A week ago I'd have said they'd be in the playoffs but now it's not going to happen. Roloson is wearing down and he's pretty much the only reason they were in contention. I can only pray Jaybo gets signed in July.

Classy move by the Jackets

The Blue Jackets have added a gritty 19-year-old defenseman to their roster for the playoff push.

The fact that Ryan Salmons won't play a game for the

club is immaterial in the eyes

of general manager Scott

Howson and the Blue Jackets Foundation.

Yesterday afternoon, Howson, along with Salmons' favorite players, Manny Malhotra and Jason Chimera, surprised the terminally ill teenager with a visit to his family's Grove City home.

They extended an unprecedented offer to the former hockey player: a one-day contract complete with a $3 signing bonus.

"It's pretty neat," Salmons said. "The curtain window (in the living room) was open and I saw Manny and Jason coming to the door. It really caught me off guard. But what really surprised me was to see Scotty (Howson). He presented me with the contract. It's really amazing."

The Salmonses have been overwhelmed by the Jackets' generosity since doctors diagnosed Ryan with cancer in April 2008. His father, Brad, however, insists the family hold out for one powerful incentive in the contract -- a spot in the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Salmons wants to see his Jackets reach the postseason for the first time in franchise history. They are in sixth place in the NHL's Western Conference with nine games remaining. The top eight teams qualify.

"If it wasn't for them, I don't think Ryan would be here today," his father said. "It's really one of the things he has been holding on to. He wants to go to a Blue Jackets' playoff game."

The Blue Jackets contingent, which included radio announcer George Matthews, foundation executive director Wendy Bradshaw and mascot Stinger, visited the family for about an hour.

A mock news release announcing the contract also was given to the family. In the release, defenseman Marc Methot granted Salmons permission to wear his No. 3 jersey.

"I typically wouldn't give up my number, but it is a small price to add a player like Ryan to our team," Methot said.

Salmons came in contact with the organization last spring when he met former Jackets forward Dan Fritsche at Nationwide Children's Hospital. The Jackets Foundation, a charity that includes pediatric cancer research and treatment among its main causes, routinely sends players to the hospital.

Chimera says teammates are inspired by the resilience and dignity Salmons exhibits in fighting alveolar rhabdomyosarcoma, a cancer that attacks muscle tissue.

Salmons has attended several Jackets games and functions at the team's invitation.

Chimera, who's nursing a groin injury, also has been a frequent guest at Salmons' bedside the past two weeks. He watched the first two periods of Tuesday night's game against Tampa Bay in Salmons' living room.

"Ryan has such a zest for life," Chimera said. "It's gotten to the point where I want to see him as much as I can and I've told my wife that. Anyone who can endure what he's had to endure and do it with a smile on his face is really special."

Salmons, who played for the Hilliard-Southwest hockey program, has lost more than 20 pounds from a once-sturdy 170-pound frame. He fought balance and dexterity issues while ingesting up to 113 pills a week.

The Hilliard Davidson graduate had become a role model and advocate in the pediatric cancer unit, taking time to explain to parents of young patients how the treatments and disease make them feel. Salmons came home from the hospital Monday, though. He is now in hospice care, his father said.

"Right now, it's a tough time," Salmons said. "They have given me a steroid to keep down the swelling on my brain. It's caused some problems and made me more emotional. But we'll figure it out."

With the aid of a walker, Salmons hopes to attend tonight's game in Nationwide Arena.

He wants to see his Jackets and sit among the thousands of fans who have waited eight seasons for a chance to cheer a winner.

He also would like to go over the fine print in his contract.

"I read it over," he said, chuckling. "And I don't see anything about a base salary for the 2008-09 season."

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/live/conten...I8.html?sid=101

Hell yeah! Jack Johnson is CLUTCH~! as fuck.

EDIT: Bullshit goaltender interference call against Anze Kopitar with 2:19 left in OT leads to a Nashville goal and win. Dammit. But the playoffs are already out of reach, anyway.

Bruins/Leafs on NHL Network now.

Oh my fucking god, the Blackhawks are getting humiliated by Vancouver here.

Surprised that it hasn't been posted here, but there was a pretty funny brawl that erupted during this game.

Hopefully the Canucks play the Capitals sometime, I want to see Alex 'Hairpull' Burrows vs Alex 'Slappy' Semin.

That's good stuff. As a Red Wings fan, I don't get much of that anymore. They get into so few fights, then lose them anyways.

Oh yeah, fights are bad. Ban it and stuff.