TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Celtic Jobber

Sublime Re-Unite After 13 Years...

I have to say, this seems pretty pointless, as Sublime without Bradley is like Nirvana without Kurt Cobain, or the Doors without Jim Morrison. :huh:

Source: http://theradreport.com/sublime_reunited_a...n_sparks_nevada

On Saturday night, the two remaining members of Sublime, bass player Eric Wilson and drummer Bud Gough reunited the band with a new singer, Rome, from Newport Beach. It's the first time since May 25th, 1996 that Eric and Bud have played under the Sublime name. That night singer Bradley Nowell died in a San Francisco hotel.

The reunited Sublime played a 'secret' show at the Cantino Los Tres Hobres in Sparks, Nevada. Sublime played with Bud's other band Del Mar. Del Mar posted this on their MySpace page:

Del Mar & Sublime

"So Del Mar played the gig at Cantina last night in Reno, it was packed and amazing. What really fucking killed it was SUBLIME reuniting and playing with new singer, Rome. We're fucking stoked for Bud, Eric, and Rome- Bud's still playing with Del Mar, and Sublime doesn't have any firm tour plans or anything YET, but we'll keep you posted on their progress. Peace!"

Here's some videos from the show:

"New Song"

STP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-ymA3iaMQw

And this is a horrible cover of "Saw Red" with Sublime's new singer Rome and Eric Wilson playing bass, before the official reunion:

Guest Czech please!

The three bands mentioned weren't particularly great with or without their T-shirt-gracing drug-addled frontmen.

You're wrong, Czech.

Anyways, I'm excited for this. He sounds good, sounds like I could be listening to Brad. I'll be looking forward to new material. I wouldn't call it pointless, they're taking the name of a band who they intend to emulate the sound of from the looks of things. If they were going for a new sound, I'd say it'd be a bad idea to use the Sublime name. Who knows? Maybe they'll get over and to the younger generation will be the only form of Sublime known.

As a suburban stoner, this news excites me. I think I'm gonna grab my acoustic and go loiter around somewhere until at long last this reunited Sublime come to perform in my town.

This "old geezers reunite for one more last desperate grasp at the spotlight" thing is getting out of hand. We are just months away from a Hootie and the Blowfish reunion at this point.

What would you call the sub-genre of music that Sublime inspired? It seems to incorporate elements of singer-songwritery nonsense, reggae, hip-hop, and surf rock. It's generally performed by suburban white stoners in shorts and flip-flops. It isn't quite stoner rock, it isn't quite frat rock. I call it coconut rock.

This "old geezers reunite for one more last desperate grasp at the spotlight" thing is getting out of hand. We are just months away from a Hootie and the Blowfish reunion at this point.

I'd be down with that.

I know this is a joke but a Hootie and The Blowfish reunion just doesn't make sense. They just broke up last year. And Darius Rucker's country music career has been surprisingly successful but in ten years when the '90s nostalgia boom is in full swing, I expect them to play summer sheds alongside other innocuous '90s top 40 acts.

Damn, Hootie and The Blowfish mentioned in two threads in one week? That must be some sort of record for here. I would start a thread but I don't think anybody here (myself- the innocuous '90s top 40 rock guru included) has heard any of their albums besides Cracked Rear View.

And what's with all of the bands with dead singers reuniting in the past five years? First, The Doors (though they actually soldiered on for two albums after Morrison died in the '70s), then Queen (though I must say they put on a heck of a fun live show), then Blind Melon, and now this. Really, how much money are these bands being offered to slightly tarnish their legacies?

Guest Czech please!
What would you call the sub-genre of music that Sublime inspired? It seems to incorporate elements of singer-songwritery nonsense, reggae, hip-hop, and surf rock. It's generally performed by suburban white stoners in shorts and flip-flops. It isn't quite stoner rock, it isn't quite frat rock. I call it coconut rock.

Pacificrap

This will no doubt delight the douchebag bros who sang "Date Rape" at karaoke every week in college. Fuckin' dreadful song.

I'd be down with that.

And what's with all of the bands with dead singers reuniting in the past five years? First, The Doors (though they actually soldiered on for two albums after Morrison died in the '70s), then Queen (though I must say they put on a heck of a fun live show), then Blind Melon, and now this. Really, how much money are these bands being offered to slightly tarnish their legacies?

Alice in Chains also reunited a couple of years ago with a new singer to replace Layne.

Billy Cox is still alive right? The Jimi Hendrix Experience are certainly due for a reunion tour.

And I understand that Lenny Kravitz is available, so that's 2/3rds of the equation right there. You pair them with the Who with Dave Grohl on drums and Mike Watt on bass and I'm sure there are plenty of boomers who'll shell out $600 a ticket to see that.

I'm personally hoping for a Beatles reunion with Eric Clapton and Jeff Lynne taking the place of John Lennon and George Harrison.

I really don't know why McCartney and Ringo haven't hooked up with Daltrey and Townsend yet. They could probably charge a cool thousand for tickets to that.

I just read today that Ringo and Paul are reuniting to play some Transcendental Meditation benefit at Radio City next month. I didn't know boomers still went for that shit.

I've heard it called Surf-abilly (like rock-a-billy).

Sublime was actually inspired by a group called The Ziggens, who pre-dated 'em. Nowell's cover of "Big Salty Tears" is an ode to Sublime's major influence.

Sublime actually compare pretty favorably to one-time proteges Slightly Stoopid, whose music is so relentlessly awful that it makes me wonder why I ever liked music in the first place. They're a real favorite of my sister and her husband, so I get a heavy dose of that shit on a regular basis.

Even worse than them is the somewhat dissimilar but no less reprehensible Kottonmouth Kings. My brother-in-law sometimes goes into this whole thing about them winning the (I guess) prestigious Cannibus Cup, as if that's going to be the key piece of missing information that's going to finally convince me of their brilliance. They might be worse than ICP.

alternative ska

Even worse than them is the somewhat dissimilar but no less reprehensible Kottonmouth Kings. My brother-in-law sometimes goes into this whole thing about them winning the (I guess) prestigious Cannibus Cup, as if that's going to be the key piece of missing information that's going to finally convince me of their brilliance. They might be worse than ICP.

Wait, they grew a strand of weed that won one year? Or is this the "Stoneys" which have been given to anyone from Dave Chappelle to Horatio Sanz...

Guest Czech please!

My friends growing up like(d) lots of terrible music, but one instance regarding the Kottonmouth Kings stands out. The one guy says "here, check this out, I think you'll like this" and on comes this terrible white-guy rap that goes

SUBURBAN LIFE

AIN'T WHAT IT SEEMS

SUBURBAN LIFE

THE AMERICAN DREAM

SUBURBAN LIFE

AIN'T WHAT IT SEEMS

SUBURBAN LIFE

THE AMERICAN DREAM

What made them think I'd like that? That's all I've ever heard from the Kottonmouth Kings, luckily. Too bad I can't unhear all that Insane Clown Posse, Powerman 5000, and Static-X. And another thing, Static-X. My one neighbor dude says "Danny, check out my hair. I look like Wayne." and so I say "well who the hell is Wayne?" and he says "you don't know who Wayne is?" and he laughs at me and leaves. Hours later I find out I was expected to be on a first-name basis with frontman Wayne Static.