TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Celtic Jobber

Sublime Re-Unite After 13 Years...

Guest Czech please!

This was the summer of 2000, so I don't think Lil Wayne had reached prominence just yet. He was just known for the last verse on Juvenile's "Back That Azz Up." Being around people who were high all the time wasn't a clever move for me, was it.

The only people in my school who listened to Kottonmouth Kings or Slipknot or any of that shit were the poor white trash who lived in the trailer park on the outskirts of town. I refuse to associate with such people, so I've never actually heard a full song by either group.

Guest Czech please!

Oh, Slipknot too. Avoided that. This was white trash in a big expensive house. They broke an iMac by resting a beer can on the CD drive, and the older brother (the Wayne Static emulator) threw an iBook down a flight of stairs. Fascinating family. I'd like to write their biography.

Not sure if the Kottonmouth Kings have ever broken through, but Slipknot actually had a fairly sizable modern rock hit a few years ago. "Wait and Bleed" or "Watch and Bleed" or something along those lines. And the lead singer is in another fairly successful nu metal band (no goofy masks in this one) whose name escapes me at the moment. Slipknot is bad, but I suspect that they're leagues ahead of Kottonmouth Kings or ICP. As with BNL's "One Week," it's the white guy rap elements that make those two acts particularly cringeworthy.

It's a little unfortunate that my sister has such typical suburban stoner taste in music. She has these sort of hippie leanings (which I guess might just be due to the pot), but she usually just listens to Tool and Sublime.

All this talk of white trash culture has gotten me to thinking about those Fast and Furious commercials that are running right now. I was working in Texas when the first of those movies came out, and every Limp Bizkit-loving hick at my job was souping up his shitty car to go drag racing in the vast nothingness that surrounds Abilene. Seeing these new ads reminds me of those idiots. Also, does it seem like Vin Diesel has had some portion of his brain removed recently? The scenes in the trailer are obviously supposed to be dripping with tension because of some sort of poignant reunion, but the guy looks like he just woke up. "A lot's changed." "dimp." "You guys know each other?" "hep hep hep."

"Suburban Life" must be KMK's only song, because that's the only one I ever heard as well.

And I hope new Sublime doesn't make a dime. Not because I'm a huge fan of Nowell, but because this is the second time they've tried to find a Nowell stand-in. The terrible Long Beach Dub All-Stars, which makes Sublime sound like Radiohead, employed a similar tactic in getting a Nowell sound-alike to lead the group.

Full disclosure: I was really into Sublime for a year or two, then for some reason got really bored of it and never listened again. I guess 40 oz. to Freedom comes with an expiration date. And to think that during that time I might have picked up a Slightly Stoopid album had their label stopped smokin' bud and actually distributed albums to the East Coast. I guess I should be thankful.

"Suburban Life" must be KMK's only song, because that's the only one I ever heard as well.

And I hope new Sublime doesn't make a dime. Not because I'm a huge fan of Nowell, but because this is the second time they've tried to find a Nowell stand-in. The terrible Long Beach Dub All-Stars, which makes Sublime sound like Radiohead, employed a similar tactic in getting a Nowell sound-alike to lead the group.

Full disclosure: I was really into Sublime for a year or two, then for some reason got really bored of it and never listened again. I guess 40 oz. to Freedom comes with an expiration date. And to think that during that time I might have picked up a Slightly Stoopid album had their label stopped smokin' bud and actually distributed albums to the East Coast. I guess I should be thankful.

Long Beach Dub All-Stars had a couple of goodies. I've always thought songs like "Rolled Up" and "My Own Life" were pretty catchy & fun. I mean, they weren't reinventing the wheel, but they seemed to have fun playing together and making music, and the tunes were comparable to Sublime.

Somewhere Badfish is weeping (Sublime cover band that seems to get a ton of gigs..helped that Sublime got big as/after no one could see them live anymore)

I could do without either of them, but still interesting news!

Guest Vitamin X

Agreed with everything said here.

Slipknot is a terrible attempt at making more extreme metal acceptable to the mainstream Ozzfest types. Their first album was the only thing that was "eh", everything else kind of sucked. The drummer for that band is pretty good though, but I wouldn't mention them in the same breath as Tool or Sublime. Tool's a decent band, it's their fans that make it well, sort of insufferable.

I listened to tons of Sublime when I was in grade 6/7 back in the 90s. I recall liking it a lot back then.

I can't fucking stand Sublime now though. It's irritating because all the rock radio stations in British Columbia (at least around Vancouver/Victoria) play Sublime constantly. The ones from Washington state too. And it's always the same goddamn 5 songs over and over again. Maybe it's a pacific northwest thing, I've never heard the crazy amount of Sublime played when I've been down in California even.