TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Czech please!

Nineties Runoff

My dad insisted this was David Bowie for the longest time. Guess that's a compliment. Speaking of Bowie, "I'm Afraid of Americans" might not have been a bad selection if a NIN song or two had gotten in. Can't really argue for the inclusion of Bowie's NIN ripoff when NIN didn't get in themselves.

FUN FACT: there was a Robyn and a "Robin S" who each had a song called "Show Me Love." I prefer the Robin S one. It reminds me of something from Donkey Kong Country, with that bouncy little synth line.

also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZsfZdfzPoE...feature=related

mislabeled, it's shai and not boyz II men.

i distinctly remember listening to this one on "rick dees and the weekly top 40" with rapt amazement.

Definitely a classic, the acapella version is far superior to the original.

This was a staple of my high school days, even though the song came out about a decade earlier.

In a similar vein. Even as a kid I knew this was cool. A nice by-product of the '90s tournament has been my rediscovery of legit pipes. Too much Waits and Dylan, you lose apprecation.

In my freshman year of college, one of my neighbors would play this and "Crossroads" on repeat.

That was actually one of the first things I thought of when Patrick said he wanted to be a cavalry scout. Somehow, in the forests of a Central American dictatorship, that moment will come back to haunt him.

I've long had this great idea for a Wheel of Fortune "Before and After" Puzzle. Pat's hints would be along the lines of "it's awful," and the answer would be "Collective Soul Asylum."

Mr. Baron: Collective Soul's one entry into the tournament ("Shine") was, I felt, pretty representative of their level of importance to '90s pop culture. And Spaceman Spiff, the board's pre-eminent Pearl Jam enthusiast as far as I know, asked me not to include "Jeremy," so I didn't. You could argue that Pearl Jam warranted more than one entry (I probably would have elected to include "Last Kiss," which was technically their biggest hit and actually a pretty okay song), and could certainly argue that they were more deserving of a second entry than, say, Blink 182. I would actually be inclined to agree with you there. But everyone makes mistakes. That's why pencils have erasers.

Yeah but "Last Kiss" is a cover. We would have been sliding down a slippery slope if you'd have nominated that. What would have stopped Eric Clapton's popular acoustic rearrangement of "Layla" from getting in? You made the right call, Kinetic.

What would have stopped Eric Clapton's popular acoustic rearrangement of "Layla" from getting in?

I consider that to be a different sort of beast, because it's an acoustic reworking of one of his old songs rather than a cover. I certainly would have considered Mariah Carey's covers of "I'll Be There" or "Without You" had they come up. Or any other cover, for that matter. That none made it in was pure coincidence.

Don't know how this didn't make the cut.

Also, surprised to see no R. Kelly anywhere near the top 128.