TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Smues

Oh noes volcano I'm gonna die!

I knew I shouldn't have moved to a place originally called new Pompei

ANCHORAGE, Alaska -- Mount Redoubt has erupted with three large explosions, the Alaska Volcano Observatory said.

The Associated Press quotes geophysicist John Power as saying, "this is a fairly large eruption."

The eruption began at approximately 10:38 p.m., AVO said. An eruption cloud is estimated to be at 50,000 feet above sea level at present.

The first explosion occurred at 10:38 p.m., a second at 11:02 p.m. and a third at 12:14 a.m.

The Air Force says the ash cloud is expected to reach Anchorage by 2 a.m.

The National Weather Service has issued an ash fall advisory for the cities of Talkeetna, Willow and Cantwell, effective until 4 a.m. Monday. Ash fall is expected to be light.

A flash flood warning has been issued for the Drift River near Mount Redoubt.

At 9:32 p.m., AVO issued an update stating that seismicity at Redoubt had increased significantly. At 11:02 p.m. it issued a release saying the eruption had begun.

AVO raised the aviation alert level to Red and will send out more information as it interprets the data.

Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport remains open as of midnight.

Alaska Airlines has rerouted five flights bound for Anchorage -- two out of Seattle and one each out of Honolulu, Maui and Nome.

All airline passengers should check with their carrier for possible cancellations and delays.

Home Depot on Tudor Road and in Wasilla will open before 2 a.m. for anyone needing emergency supplies.

Decisions on school closures, if any, will likely not be made until around 4 a.m. Again, KTUU.com will send out bulletins as warranted.

Unrest at Redoubt began about six weeks ago with increased seismicity. AVO raised the alert level to orange, and it stayed there until about 10 days ago after a period of relative calm.

The alert level was briefly elevated back to orange after a minor eruption of steam that did not produce significant ash fall.

It was lowered back to yellow late Saturday evening when earthquake activity increased significantly, culminating in Sunday's eruption.

So after two months of alerts and being on the news all the time and etc. etc. it finally blows, and it appears it's not going to be that bad. If the winds stay as they are it'll mostly miss Anchorage, and even the places that get hit the most it's still being called just a light ash fall. I guess I won't die after all. But it will likely still be annoying, as we just got a bunch of snow and this'll mix with that and be nasty I imagine.

Of course now that I said that the winds will change and it'll blow again and I'll get buried and die. If I'm never heard from again assume I hung myself from a weight machine before the ash could choke me.

No, despite erupting two more times after I went to sleep the ash apparently went by us and won't hit Anchorage unless another eruption happens that heads this way. Mutation denied.

Remember if you have to stop a lava flow, knock down a giant building to divert the flow. It worked for Tommy Lee Jones in Volcano.

And if you come by a lake filled with sulfuric acid, just jump into the nearest wooden speedboat; it can handle it. If you have to wade the last few feet to bring the boat in, let grandma do it.

And if you come by a lake filled with sulfuric acid, just jump into the nearest wooden speedboat; it can handle it. If you have to wade the last few feet to bring the boat in, let grandma do it.

Dante's Peak right? Been forever since I've seen that movie. Doesn't grandma die?

I should have known the volcano wouldn't cause major problems, because it wasn't on Nicolas Cage's list of disasters in Knowing.

They say the underground Volcano in Yellowstone park will blow sooner rather than later. Wouldn't want to be living anywhere near there any time soon.

They say the underground Volcano in Yellowstone park will blow sooner rather than later. Wouldn't want to be living anywhere near there any time soon.

Yeah but that's a SUPER VOLCANO!!!!!!!!!death!!!!!

http://exitmundi.nl/volcano.htm

So, we'd run away, right? Hmm. If only it was that easy. An even bigger problem than the lava itself is the ash. 64,000 Years ago, a supervolcano made a mess of what is now the US. Of the current 50 states, 21 were covered with a layer of ash, at some places was over twenty meters thick!

Well, who cares, you might think - we'd just dust it away. But it isn't that simple. Volcanic ash is not like the ash you find on the barbecue: it is made of tiny pieces of rock. If it falls on your roof, your house can collapse under it's weight. If it gets into contact with cars or airplanes, they will break down or crash. Even worse, if you inhale it, the ash will mix with the liquids in your lungs and form a cement-like substance. You'll literally drown in conrete!

So you'd take a boat to another continent, right? Wrong. Apart from lava, volcanoes spew out a deadly brew of toxic chemicals. There are sulphurous gases that turn all rainfall into a blistering downpour of pure sulphuric acid for years to come. There are all kinds of chlorine-bearing compounds, that break down enough of the ozone layer to turn the Sun into a real killer. There's carbon dioxide, the greenhouse gas that not only nibbles at the ozone layer, but also causes long-term global warming. And last but not least, there's soot. A super eruption will darken the Sun, and gradually push the Earth into nuclear winter. For many years, or even centuries, we will have to survive in darkness and cold.

Ok, we may be smart enough to escape from the lava and the ash, dodge the acid rains, survive the nuclear winter and protect ourselves against the killer solar radiation afterwards. But plants and animals definitely are not. We'd find ourselves in an increasingly empty world, as one species after another goes extinct. In the end, even the toughest survivalist would starve to death.

In fact, 74,000 years ago, humanity almost did. In those days, a supervolcano erupted in Toba, Sumatra. Quite a lot of scientists believe this is what pushed humanity to the brink of extinction: it is a well-established fact that in those days, humanity suddenly was reduced to a slim total of some ten thousands of men.

Alright -- but that was a long time ago, you might argue. Well, here's some bad news. Geologists agree that another supervolcano will definitely show up sometime somewhere in the future. It's a bit inconvenient no one knows where it will happen -- or when.

But that's not even the worst part. If you still want to have a good night's sleep tonight, better stop reading here. For actually, the next Magmageddon is due to arrive any day now.

At this very moment, a well-known supervolcano broods its ugly plans right under beautiful Yellowstone Park. On average, the Yellowstone supervolcano erupts once every 600,000 years - but the last time it erupted was 640,000 years ago. Oh, and by the way: in parts of Yellowstone Park, the ground has gone up seventy centimeters during the last century.

The one causing troubles up here thankfully it's a SUPER DE-DUPER MEGA VOLCANO OMG but it has erupted like 9 times now and while we still haven't gotten ash in Anchorage the lower Kenai Peninsula has gotten plenty, and it's fucked up air travel pretty badly.

Nah. You'd probably die no matter where you live in the Western Hemisphere.

Just as well I live in the Eastern most of the time.

http://exitmundi.nl/volcano.htm

So, we'd run away, right? Hmm. If only it was that easy. An even bigger problem than the lava itself is the ash. 64,000 Years ago, a supervolcano made a mess of what is now the US. Of the current 50 states, 21 were covered with a layer of ash, at some places was over twenty meters thick!

Well, who cares, you might think - we'd just dust it away. But it isn't that simple. Volcanic ash is not like the ash you find on the barbecue: it is made of tiny pieces of rock. If it falls on your roof, your house can collapse under it's weight. If it gets into contact with cars or airplanes, they will break down or crash. Even worse, if you inhale it, the ash will mix with the liquids in your lungs and form a cement-like substance. You'll literally drown in conrete!

So you'd take a boat to another continent, right? Wrong. Apart from lava, volcanoes spew out a deadly brew of toxic chemicals. There are sulphurous gases that turn all rainfall into a blistering downpour of pure sulphuric acid for years to come. There are all kinds of chlorine-bearing compounds, that break down enough of the ozone layer to turn the Sun into a real killer. There's carbon dioxide, the greenhouse gas that not only nibbles at the ozone layer, but also causes long-term global warming. And last but not least, there's soot. A super eruption will darken the Sun, and gradually push the Earth into nuclear winter. For many years, or even centuries, we will have to survive in darkness and cold.

Ok, we may be smart enough to escape from the lava and the ash, dodge the acid rains, survive the nuclear winter and protect ourselves against the killer solar radiation afterwards. But plants and animals definitely are not. We'd find ourselves in an increasingly empty world, as one species after another goes extinct. In the end, even the toughest survivalist would starve to death.

In fact, 74,000 years ago, humanity almost did. In those days, a supervolcano erupted in Toba, Sumatra. Quite a lot of scientists believe this is what pushed humanity to the brink of extinction: it is a well-established fact that in those days, humanity suddenly was reduced to a slim total of some ten thousands of men.

Alright -- but that was a long time ago, you might argue. Well, here's some bad news. Geologists agree that another supervolcano will definitely show up sometime somewhere in the future. It's a bit inconvenient no one knows where it will happen -- or when.

But that's not even the worst part. If you still want to have a good night's sleep tonight, better stop reading here. For actually, the next Magmageddon is due to arrive any day now.

At this very moment, a well-known supervolcano broods its ugly plans right under beautiful Yellowstone Park. On average, the Yellowstone supervolcano erupts once every 600,000 years - but the last time it erupted was 640,000 years ago. Oh, and by the way: in parts of Yellowstone Park, the ground has gone up seventy centimeters during the last century.

I shouldn't have read the last part. I can't go to bed now.

Smues: grandma does die. she gets burnt up in the lava, Darth Vader style, pushing her family to the edge of the lake, which is filling with lava, in the boat they were in. She does it because she's the oldest, and has lived a full life. Grandma gets mad respect for that shit. The scene's actually really fucking sad, especially if you're close to your grandma.

Fuck ever visiting yellowstone...