TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Big Ol' Smitty

National Security & Defense

yeah, and that's the reason most people in the military don't think a draft is a good idea either. i just think it would be prudent for our nation to institute mandatory service, and hopefully a large contingent of those warm bodies are future grunts like me.

So I think we're in agreement that "Hey, let's pick random guys for the military" = Bad Idea, "Make some sort of national service requirement so that, at least, the most willing will choose the military" = Good Idea?

yeah, probably. :)

it's general principle behind why the marines are more elite than the army (boom, pat): you've got a bunch of guys that absolutely, positively want to be there and money has very little or nothing to do with it. there are no gigantic bonuses, no massive tuition assistance, no 2 year contracts -- just a bunch of hard, redneck SOBs that are there because they love their country and they want to protect it at any cost. if you start adding in a bunch of malcontents that would rather be playing xbox, you're diluting the force.

so while, to me, draft vs. national service initiative isn't necessarily a tough question, the ability to steer able-bodied young men towards the armed forces would still be somewhat of an issue with any national service initiative. i think that comes down to education, though; outright propaganda probably isn't the most effective way to do it, but somehow, our country needs to do something to make its citizens proud of it again.