TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The Sweet 16 & Elite 8 Thread

Any night Duke loses by 23 is good for me. Fuck Duke.

I often wondered why Cowboy liked Duke so much myself, considering his location. I might have only been there one year, but at least I went to North Carolina...

I'm not sure where this 'Duke doesn't graduate athletes' thing comes from.

2009 sweet 16 team graduation rates

Note that Duke is tied for the top rate of the 16 schools. Thinking maybe they had a problem graduating other atheletes outside of basketball or something I kept reading and while their basketball graduation rate is 89%, their overall student athlete graduation rate is 97%. So how exactly is that a bad thing?

Orlando, FL – March 25, 2009…If the Sweet 16 for men’s/women’s basketball teams were based on Graduation Success Ratesi, then the complete seeding would be 

(team’s overall GSR is in parentheses after the school’s name):

Men’s      Women’s 

#1. Duke (89%)     #1. (tie) Connecticut (100%)

#1. (tie) Villanova (89%)    #1. (tie) Ohio State (100%)

#3. North Carolina (86%)    #1. (tie) Stanford (100%)

#4. Xavier (82%)     #1. (tie) Vanderbilt (100%)

#5. Purdue (77%)    #5. (tie) Iowa State (93%)

#6. Pittsburgh (69%)    #5. (tie) Pittsburg (93%)

#7. Gonzaga (67%)    #7. Arizona State (90%)

#8. Kansas (64%)     #8. Purdue (89%)

#9. Michigan State (60%)    #9. Baylor (88%)

#10. Memphis (55%)    #10. Michigan State (85%)

#10. (tie) Oklahoma (55%)   #11. Louisville (80%)

#12. Syracuse (50%)    #12. California, Berkeley (71%)

#13. Louisville (42%)    #13. (tie) Oklahoma  (69%)

#14. Missouri (36%)    #13. (tie) Rutgers (69%)

#15. Connecticut (33%)    #15. (tie) Maryland (67%)

#16. Arizona (20%)    #15. (tie) Texas A&M (67%)

And the formatting doesn't work to paste the chart showing overall student athlete graduation, but the jist of it for Duke is that they graduate 97% of their student athletes (highest of the sweet 16 teams), 86% of their black basketball players (tied for highest) and 100% of their white basketball players (tied for highest).

So unless I'm missing something huge (which i never deny is possible) Duke is graduating kids just fine, so complain about the media love or something, not the academics please.

Well the first round of games tonight sure was boring. (Yeah yeah SYR/OKLA has 8 minutes left, it's not going to redeem itself in that time.) I still want Gonzaga to get curb stomped, so I have to hope for Kanas/MSU to be good.

I'm not sure where this 'Duke doesn't graduate athletes' thing comes from.

2009 sweet 16 team graduation rates

Note that Duke is tied for the top rate of the 16 schools. Thinking maybe they had a problem graduating other atheletes outside of basketball or something I kept reading and while their basketball graduation rate is 89%, their overall student athlete graduation rate is 97%. So how exactly is that a bad thing?

Orlando, FL – March 25, 2009…If the Sweet 16 for men’s/women’s basketball teams were based on Graduation Success Ratesi, then the complete seeding would be 

(team’s overall GSR is in parentheses after the school’s name):

Men’s      Women’s 

#1. Duke (89%)     #1. (tie) Connecticut (100%)

#1. (tie) Villanova (89%)    #1. (tie) Ohio State (100%)

#3. North Carolina (86%)    #1. (tie) Stanford (100%)

#4. Xavier (82%)     #1. (tie) Vanderbilt (100%)

#5. Purdue (77%)    #5. (tie) Iowa State (93%)

#6. Pittsburgh (69%)    #5. (tie) Pittsburg (93%)

#7. Gonzaga (67%)    #7. Arizona State (90%)

#8. Kansas (64%)     #8. Purdue (89%)

#9. Michigan State (60%)    #9. Baylor (88%)

#10. Memphis (55%)    #10. Michigan State (85%)

#10. (tie) Oklahoma (55%)   #11. Louisville (80%)

#12. Syracuse (50%)    #12. California, Berkeley (71%)

#13. Louisville (42%)    #13. (tie) Oklahoma  (69%)

#14. Missouri (36%)    #13. (tie) Rutgers (69%)

#15. Connecticut (33%)    #15. (tie) Maryland (67%)

#16. Arizona (20%)    #15. (tie) Texas A&M (67%)

And the formatting doesn't work to paste the chart showing overall student athlete graduation, but the jist of it for Duke is that they graduate 97% of their student athletes (highest of the sweet 16 teams), 86% of their black basketball players (tied for highest) and 100% of their white basketball players (tied for highest).

So unless I'm missing something huge (which i never deny is possible) Duke is graduating kids just fine, so complain about the media love or something, not the academics please.

They must have hired someone worth a damn in the academic field. The numbers I saw from a couple years ago (in a class, so that's the only exposure I had) are a complete 180. And so what if I was wrong, Duke is a big faggot. That's right. I likened Duke to something I can call a faggot.

I hate the Jayhawks. They win when I want them to lose and lose when I want them to win.

Kansas losing hurts me big time in the yahoo league, but oh well I'm fine with MSU moving on. And while I hate UNC them drubbing Gonzaga still brings a smile to my face.

The Gonzaga drubbing wasn't surprising to me considering that they had little answer in the post for North Carolina. I knew that if WKU advanced we would get drubbed in a similar fashion had we advanced out of the 2nd round.

Okay, Arizona wasn't much of a challenge. Pitino in the Sweet 16 is just lethal, so any "expert" who thought that game would be close is nuts.

I have to admit though....Michigan St. worries me. I don't know why they do, but it seems like U of L never plays worth a crap against anyone from the Big 10. If Northwestern showed up in Indy tomorrow U of L might find a way to lose to them 56-55. Still, after that awesome destruction last night we just can't lose to this lethargic MSU team. I don't want to hear these lame "OMG Spartans are in Detroit for the Final 4!" stories.

Here are predictions for the next round:

Villanova 72, Pitt 63. Just not feeling Pitt in this tourney. They keep playing with fire and Nova is on a major roll.

Missouri 85, UConn 84. I had Mizzou in my bracket so I have to keep the pick. Of my FF teams I have the least confidence in this one however.

UNC 82, Oklahoma 77. Could be a close game but in the end I don't see the Sooners having quite enough.

U of L 75, MSU 65. MSU will ugly it up with the Big 10 snooze deal, but surely the Cards won't be denied.

I've got Pitt/---/OU/Louisville in my bracket since Memphis tanked.

However, I'm going to go with 'Nova (by 11), UConn (by 5), Louisville (by 13) and unfortunately my least favorite team in the NCAA, UNC (by 7). Call it a Big East bias, but I just think they're all better than they're opponents though I wouldn't be shocked if UNC won it as the only non Big East team in the Final Four just to spite me.

If Missouri wins tonight then I actually have a chance of winning all my brackets.

I seem to be the only person I know who had them going to the Final 4.

I can no longer win the yahoo bracket thanks to Misery. At this point I'm just hoping for Big East domination and anyone other than UConn or UNC winning.

How many times is a team going to lose in this tourney because they don't stop the ball on this kind of situation? I can think of Pitt here, Illinois and maybe one other team, I want to say it was Marquette before the endline stepping incident shitted that finish away.

How many times is a team going to lose in this tourney because they don't stop the ball on this kind of situation? I can think of Pitt here, Illinois and maybe one other team, I want to say it was Marquette before the endline stepping incident shitted that finish away.

When you pressure full court like that, once you get by the first surge, it's open court.

When you pressure full court like that, once you get by the first surge, it's open court.

Which is why it's such a baffling choice to use the full court press. Just lay back near the foul line and STAY IN FRONT OF YOUR MAN, forcing them to take a 30 footer to win at the buzzer instead of a layup or dunk.

Western Kentucky was the other team (versus Gonzaga in Round 2).... :(

I had Nova in my Final Four. However, my bracket went south thanks to the West Region because I had Memphis coming out of there.

Louisville looks just about done right now. So much for a repeat of the '85 Final Four.

I guess I shouldn't have underestimated Michigan St.'s motivation in this one. Of course there's the obvious that the Final Four is in Detroit, but MSU's also trying to keep the streak alive for Travis Walton (in the Izzo era, every 4-year senior has made at least one Final Four). Also Louisville losing officially ends my chances of winning the TSM bracket, best I can finish is like 3rd.

I had Louisville over Pitt in my finals, but I only did a money bracket since I didn't have internet access at the time I did my bracket. Oh well. It's a curse to be my national title pick, I've never gotten any participant right in my 7 years of picking brackets.