TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cheech Tremendous

Magazine Subscriptions

Currently, I have subscriptions to GQ, Esquire and Details. I graduated to this group of magazines once I realized that I had outgrown Maxim and Stuff (otherwise known as my 18th birthday). GQ and Esquire are both great for the articles and male advice. Details is hit and miss.

At times in the past I've been a reader of Rolling Stone and The Source, but I find that neither satisfies my musical interest like they used to. Occassionally I'll grab a Rolling Stone if I'm at the airport and or I am intrigued by an article. In fact, there is a biting article on Artie Lange's downward spiral this month that was fascinating. The author didn't pull any punches whatsoever.

I've never been one to subscribe to sports magazines. The internet has basically killed that market dead.

So, what, if anything, are you guys reading nowadays?

Rolling Stone is pretty much it for me, right now. And that's only because the 'rents got me an absurdly long subscription some years ago. I read it mostly out of habit these days but there's an occasional really good article in there like Cheech said.

I loved Radar for the little while it was around. I started to subscribe like three issues before it went belly up. Shit sucked. Now I've got a subscription I don't want to Men's Health and Fitness!

Somewhere along the way I acquired a subscription to Men's Vogue. I think it had something to do with Mrs. Tremendous' subscription to regular Vogue. Anyways, the magazine blew chunks and usually ended up directly in the recycling pile on the way back from the mailbox. Unsurprisingly, it went belly-up and they replaced it with Conde Nast Portfolio, which I have yet to read.

Are there any decent music magazines left out there? I've never even tried Spin, but I've heard less-than-great things.

I subscribe to Fight!, GQ, and Money.

I won't get in to Fight!, because I'm guessing most people don't care about a MMA mag. It's extremely well done and probably the best magazine I've ever subscribed to, but it's not exactly going to be a hit with the target audience here no matter what. Good magazine, though.

GQ is good. I've gotten a lot of good fashion tips from it and the articles are usually pretty good. It pisses me off, to an end, because most of the great stuff I see in there I will never even WANT to afford. But it's overall good because I try to match what I see on the cheap.

Just subscribed to Money, as personal finance is my new obsession. Haven't gotten an issue yet, though.

this is a pretty recent development, but i can't stand magazine writing now and its stupid mix of superficial reportage, bad jokes, and pithy one-sentence excuses for arguments. every sentence just screams "deadlines! space constraints!" and it leads to all sorts of bad shortcuts. i've tried in the last year to read 2 full-length books by magazine writers:

http://www.amazon.com/Accidental-Revolutio...8192&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Joystick-Nation-Vide...8227&sr=8-1

and i couldn't finish either of them, because the sentences were so compressed and dumbed down that it was impossible for the authors to sound like they were making an insightful point, even when they were making an insightful point.

My family got a ten year(!) subscription to newsweek a couple years back, and its probably the one thing I read on the regular.

Otherwise, i pick up issues whenever it interests me. usually Rolling Stone, FilmMaker, and mens health

Looking at Magazine subscriptions and can't help but notice that New Scientist 12 month sub is $200+...

What the hell do you get for that much? Obviously there's web excess and stuff, but how big is the magazine itself?

My great aunt's last wish was for me to get a subscription to National Geographic. I don't really know why.

£15 for a years subscription - I had to double check it as it seemed so cheap, but its true.

I love print magazines, but all of them are so damn specialized these days, and the ones that are more generalized are so awful or have generally outdated information (especially considering how the net runs these days) that it's difficult for me to justify paying for a subscription. Generally speaking, I tend to just have a magazine or two for bathroom reading material- I think I've been getting Blender for free for a bit now, which, while I don't care much for their reviews, at least let me know about the new music out there and have some decent interviews here and there.

Blogs have really replaced the utility that magazines provided me with, and they're free. The only subscription I (don't) pay for is Google Reader, which will aggregate them into one place for me to read.

I get Sports Illustrated. I enjoy it. My parents get Time and sometimes I flip through it when they're done to see if there's anything interesting.

I had a subscription to EGM up until the buyout and cancellation of the magazine. I think I still had about 2 or 3 more issues coming. Nothing else coming in at the moment though.

Merged this thread with the old magazine thread.

The only thing I have to add is that I recently got a subscription to Forbes... yet to receive my first issue.

I had a subscription to EGM up until the buyout and cancellation of the magazine. I think I still had about 2 or 3 more issues coming. Nothing else coming in at the moment though.

Same here, except I had about 2 years left.

So I checked out New Scientist. Its made from that horrible paper that's a step up from being grease proof/tracing paper, its no thicker then your standard magazine, and its £3.25 an issue. I can't work out why/how they want to charge £200+ for a 12 month subscription.

I subscribe to Offcial Nintendo Magazine. I used to get Retro Gamer too, but it went through a rubbish patch.

As soon as I cancelled my subscription they released an issue with articles on Resident Evil and the Mega CD. Bastards.

I don't think so. ONM isn't directly affliated with Nintendo as far as I'm aware. It's part of the Future Publishing umbrella.