TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
YourKock'sReallyGreat

NBA Offseason chatter

Then how did they win 65 games!? They only played good teams 17 times? Do you understand math at all?

About as much as watching a 67-15 Dallas team in 2007 get blitzed by Golden State in the first round, mostly because of a coach that knew the blueprint defensively to beat them and followed it to near-perfection.

And I am not the one who is being desperate enough to wager name changes and bans without the consent of the opposing party. All you've shown me is the record. I've watched the games. Have you? What did you see to make you think that they are going to go deep in the postseason. Just trying to have a discussion here.

It's called backing up what you say. It's what people who actually believe the shit coming out of their mouth do.

How about they went through the West last year without Bynum and a team that was no where near as tough as the one they have this year? The bench stat is absurd considering THEY BARELY NEED A BENCH, and there's no team in the west who's entire depth accounts for the talent and ability of LA's starting 5. Fisher is bound to be a big veteran force in the playoffs like he is every year, and comparing the folding chair that is the Dallas Mavericks to the Jackson/Kobe Lakers is just stupid.

A discussion is one thing, saying Utah sweeping LA is almost certain is idiotic, and taking useless stats and examples from losses while completely writing off everything else that's led them to being 10 games better than everyone in the west, and damn near 20 games better than the team you think is gonna sweep them, is showing you're opinion is worth the same as some 14 year old girl picking teams based on the color of their Jersey.

Shit you talk about giving up 100 and how that never works in the playoff's, you forget Utah ACTUALLY HAS given up over 100 a game, LA's at 99, and the only team with a better point dif than LA is Cleveland. So if you usually score 10 more points than your opponent, it's kind of irrelevant how many points your giving up.

You know, for once I agree with good ole Battlenuts.

Also take in account that one of the big reason the Laker bench suffered was that Lamar Odom and Trevor Ariza, who came off the bench in the beginning of the season, were starting most of the second half of the season. You lose two guys who were the main contributers off the bench, of course its going to drop off.

Also your assertion that the Lakers were 1-4 against the Blazers, Nuggets and Jazz is false. Collectively against those possible WC opponents the Lakers were 7-4 against those teams, the only losses were on the road. Meaning that neither of these good teams couldn't beat the Lakers on their home floor. Oh, I guess thats were home court kicks in.

The Lakers won 65 games in a tough conference and were 10 games better than the next. Losing to Boston in the Finals last year is irrelevant, and like I said before do you think any team is going to shoot lights out from 3 (which is a low percentage shot) for 4 out of seven games. In the playoffs, you win from the inside, not outside and Lakers are vastly superior in that department. That was the difference last year against the Celtics and in all other Finals before that. Name a team that has won a Finals without a strong inside game?

It's called backing up what you say. It's what people who actually believe the shit coming out of their mouth do.

How about they went through the West last year without Bynum and a team that was no where near as tough as the one they have this year? The bench stat is absurd considering THEY BARELY NEED A BENCH, and there's no team in the west who's entire depth accounts for the talent and ability of LA's starting 5. Fisher is bound to be a big veteran force in the playoffs like he is every year, and comparing the folding chair that is the Dallas Mavericks to the Jackson/Kobe Lakers is just stupid.

A discussion is one thing, saying Utah sweeping LA is almost certain is idiotic, and taking useless stats and examples from losses while completely writing off everything else that's led them to being 10 games better than everyone in the west, and damn near 20 games better than the team you think is gonna sweep them, is showing you're opinion is worth the same as some 14 year old girl picking teams based on the color of their Jersey.

Shit you talk about giving up 100 and how that never works in the playoff's, you forget Utah ACTUALLY HAS given up over 100 a game, LA's at 99, and the only team with a better point dif than LA is Cleveland. So if you usually score 10 more points than your opponent, it's kind of irrelevant how many points your giving up.

The Celtics bench embarrassed the Lakers bench, which is why they won the title last year and put up a 39-point beatdown in the clincher. But playoff play is not important, I guess. And Portland's bench is a large reason why they beat the Lakers twice this year (I think they outscored them by 5 or 6 points in each game, would have been more but Ariza took out Fernandez)

Giving up more threes than all but two teams in the league is a useless stat, considering that's pretty much how they lost all the games they played, and how most of the games they won ended up being so close.

Again, how is comparing me to a female a valid basketball argument? I'm surprised you haven't gotten a warning for this. I'm trying to keep the conversation civil. The best you've done is question my manhood.

As for Utah, I think they are more physical than the Lakers. If they pound the ball inside and draw fouls (40+ free throw attempts in the last game), and get the Lakers guessing, it opens up their outside game. And they will have Okur back who can hit threes, like the one he hit to beat the Lakers in Utah earlier in the year. And Deron Williams is a far better point guard than Derek Fisher. The Lakers have not been able to stop him. I have reasons why I think Utah can win every game.

The point difference is actually closer to 6 since the All-star break. Which means that opponents are keeping games closer than normal.

Also your assertion that the Lakers were 1-4 against the Blazers, Nuggets and Jazz is false. Collectively against those possible WC opponents the Lakers were 7-4 against those teams, the only losses were on the road. Meaning that neither of these good teams couldn't beat the Lakers on their home floor. Oh, I guess thats were home court kicks in.

I'm going with teams that I think can beat the Lakers. If the playoff order was Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio without Manu, I'd say the Lakers get beat by Cleveland in five. But these three teams are healthy now, and can play good defense or tough basketball. I can see them stealing one in LA far more easily than the Lakers winning on the road.

And home court does not mean anything to the dead LA crowds. I think the Lakers win there so that they don't get booed when they lose, or because it's so quiet that they play nice and calm.

And now you're just getting ridiculous again.

The Celtics bench embarrassed the Lakers bench, which is why they won the title last year and put up a 39-point beatdown in the clincher. But playoff play is not important, I guess. And Portland's bench is a large reason why they beat the Lakers twice this year (I think they outscored them by 5 or 6 points in each game, would have been more but Ariza took out Fernandez)

Would have BUT WASN'T. The lakers would be 0-82 if they lost every game, but would be is irrelevant to what actually is. Stop falling back on would have been and start working with reality. The Celtics embarrassed LA because they scored at will in the paint when it mattered most. That comes down to toughness, and the Laker's are much tougher than they were last year. Of course they only faced the Celtics last year because THEY BEAT EVERYONE IN THE WEST. How is that not clicking, they ran through the west last year, and they're better this year.

Giving up more threes than all but two teams in the league is a useless stat, considering that's pretty much how they lost all the games they played, and how most of the games they won ended up being so close.

What the hell are you talking about? SECOND BEST PPG/A IN THE NBA. They're wins weren't so close, they were by a greater margin than every team in the NBA but the Cavs. If it was such a problem they would of lost a lot more games, by a lot more points. It's not, they didn't, the end.

Again, how is comparing me to a female a valid basketball argument? I'm surprised you haven't gotten a warning for this. I'm trying to keep the conversation civil. The best you've done is question my manhood.

Because nothing you've said has more merit than a girl picking teams based on the color of their uniform. I already explained this.

As for Utah, I think they are more physical than the Lakers. If they pound the ball inside and draw fouls (40+ free throw attempts in the last game), and get the Lakers guessing, it opens up their outside game. And they will have Okur back who can hit threes, like the one he hit to beat the Lakers in Utah earlier in the year. And Deron Williams is a far better point guard than Derek Fisher. The Lakers have not been able to stop him. I have reasons why I think Utah can win every game.

If they do this and if they do that and what you think DON'T MATTER. What's happened for 82 games this season does matter, and since you can't seem to acknowledge anything other than the imagined and you're own obviously useless opinion, there's really no more point discussing it.

You can't back up what you're saying in anyway, you clearly don't believe it yourself since you weren't even willing to change you display name when I was willing to blow my dog on video in fairness. This is just becoming a joke.

So you're saying that Houston, Dallas and San Antonio, teams went a collective 1-9 against the Lakers, are going to all of a sudden beat the Lakers in the playoffs? And the Lakers each beat of these on their home floor.

Crowd noise or lack of really doesn't play a big factor. Staples Center has never come across loud on TV, but I've been to Lakers games there live and it gets pretty loud in there.

Anyways, I let my team do the talking. I ready for the games to start. Thats what really matters anyways.

So you're saying that Houston, Dallas and San Antonio, teams went a collective 1-9 against the Lakers, are going to all of a sudden beat the Lakers in the playoffs? And the Lakers each beat of these on their home floor.

No, the Lakers would beat those teams, that's what I was saying. Artest cannot stop Bryant, Spurs do not have Ginobli to score, and Fisher is decent enough to neutralize Jason Kidd.

I was not double-posting. Those were two seperate points I made. Mike's post appeared while I was typing the response to Battlenuts, so I chose to respond to that seperately.

Any sort of betting in sports is stupid. It's how people lose money and a lot worse. I believe what I say. If I end up wrong in the end, whatever, I move on. I do not need to blow a dog or see you blow a dog to validate a point or show my conviction towards something.

I've managed to spark up more discussion in this board in two months than I've seen in years, which I'm content with.

Could you please stop with the personal attacks? This is at least the third time you have done so, and it brings nothing to the thread. Talking basketball in a basketball thread is not trolling.

Here are some predictions:

East:

Cleveland over Detroit in 5. Pistons can get 1 game at home but let's quickly get rid of the Pistons and move the Cavs on to something bigger.

Boston over Chicago in 6. Even without KG I think the Celtics win this series. The Bulls are just....mediocre. Lots of mediocre teams in the East after the top 3.

Orlando over Philadelphia in 5. I like the Magic quite a bit, though not sure this will be a mega breakout year.

Miami over Atlanta in 7. The Hawks are probably a better overall team but not by much. Not enough to counter Wade in a decisive game 7 if it comes to it.

West:

LA Lakers over Utah in 5. This series is getting an amusing amount of analysis on here. But why would anyone think the Jazz could WIN this series? That 6 game loss last year to the Lakers when they were actually a better team with a higher seed? Lakers will take the first 2 in LA, split in Utah, finish it back in LA. Next.

Denver over New Orleans in 7. I've never been a big Chris Paul fan going back to his days of hitting Julius Hodge in the nuts. This is a close series so when in doubt go with the home team to win it in game 7.

San Antonio over Dallas in 6. The Spurs are without Ginobili but the Mavs just don't seem to have it this year. If Dallas actually beat the Spurs in the first round I'd be surprised. Not shocked, but a bit surprised.

Portland over Houston in 7. Home court is key to this series since the Blazers are excellent at home and it's hard to imagine the Rockets taking one there. The Rockets never get past the 1st round these days.

Then how did they win 65 games!? They only played good teams 17 times? Do you understand math at all?

About as much as watching a 67-15 Dallas team in 2007 get blitzed by Golden State in the first round, mostly because of a coach that knew the blueprint defensively to beat them and followed it to near-perfection.

And I am not the one who is being desperate enough to wager name changes and bans without the consent of the opposing party. All you've shown me is the record. I've watched the games. Have you? What did you see to make you think that they are going to go deep in the postseason. Just trying to have a discussion here.

That's a miserable example. The Warriors had beaten the Mavs every time they had played. The Jazz lost the season series against the Lakers, including a game that meant something to the Jazz and was meaningless to the Lakers. It's not comparable in the slightest.

And I don't think he's desperate, he's just trying to get you to put your money where your mouth is. You've been talking a big game, but not willing to put a fucking user name on the line? Take a look at stipulations and see how they compare to each other. You've done little to nothing to actually justify your position, and you've continually ignored the arguments against it. You seem like the fool, not him.

Like i said every team has shown weakness during the year, hell the Cavs lost to the Wizards by over 10 late in the season. While they give up over 100 pts they are also one of the highest scoring teams as well. The only team in the West i can see giving the Lakers problems is the Blazers who for some reason play the Lakers really tough espcially in Portland, if those two teams played in the second round I could see it going to 7 with the Lakers winning game 7 in L.A. I can't see any other team going past 6 games with the Lakers in the West.

If the Wizards are healthy, and Flip Saunders actually smacked some sense into Arenas so that he actually passes the ball, then I would have the Wizards beating the Cavs in the first round next season, no matter the seed. The problem with that team is they are a bunch of blowhards who only care about beating Cleveland, and no one else. Going 14-68 or whatever is not going to get you into the playoffs.

Flip Saunders being able to slap sense into anyone is unrealistic. And you would have the Wizards beating the Cavs in the first round, no matter the seed? They haven't beaten Cleveland teams that were carried by LeBron alone, how do they expect to beat the guy when he has a truly good supporting cast?

I missed this earlier. Sorry about that.

It would be far more telling if Utah and LA had played four games instead of three, or if one of the teams won on the road with a full roster. All the season series showed is that the home team can win a game with players missing on the other side (Bynum in the Utah game, Okur in the LA game). The game was mostly useless for the Jazz too, since everyone in the West knew that they were going to have to beat the Lakers anyway. Better to get it over with in the first round instead of the second.

And a focused Washington team can beat Cleveland. The problem is Arenas. And I don't think Flip Saunders can save him, I just think that if he did, they could pull it off.

I've justified my stance with stats from the games. The only thing he's done is flip around a record that does not mean nearly as much as he thinks at this point. The first time a team loses four times in seven games, they are done, regardless if they won 70 games in the regular season. I think the Jazz and the Trail Blazers could do it with healthy rosters, and dominate in the paint if the point guards play well, which Williams has done.

When they get LeBron James in 2010, that very well could happen. Nate Robinson was 17-4-4 this season off the bench this season, which is a vast improvement over last year. Al Harrington just needs to stop picking up technicals when the Knicks have the lead late in the game. And Lee was averaging a double-double in points and rebounds.

Curry is expendable, but other than that, they have a decent shot of doing some real damage in a couple of years when they don't have to pay so much.

ESPN/ABC's coverage thus far has been terrible. Most notably, the OT game with Bulls/Celtics in a blatant attempt by ESPN to pull viewers away from ABC. Last time I checked, aren't they the same? At the end of the 1st quarter in the Cleveland game, they show a split-screen of the Boston game, with Chicago about to inbound with the game tied in OT and 26 seconds left. Right as Tyrus Thomas puts up the shot, they cut to commercial. Then, instead of updating the game back from break, they cut to a pre-taped interview with the Detroit head coach, then make no mention of the game until Mike Breen casually acknowledges it five minutes later. Then, of course, Mark Jackson and Jeff Van Gundy spend half the quarter talking about the game that everyone without cable did not see. I'm pretty sure that CBS (who seamless switched between NCAA tournament games) and NBC (who would have stayed with the OT game, then go to the Cleveland game) would not let this shit take place.

That was a hell of a game by Rose and the Bulls really pulled it out in the end.

Gotta love playoff basketball would have figured that even with Garrnet out the Celtics would go thru the Bulls pretty easy. I hope that Rose and Rondo keep their play up and this could be a great 6-7 game series

Predictions

EAST:

Cavs over Pistons in 4 : The pistons have just emotionally given up. Too many things went wrong for them this season. Otherwise they would have given the cavs a tough series.

Heat over Hawks in 7 : D-wade is not gonna have a monster regular season, just to lose to the superstar-less hawks. No, Joe Johnson doesn't count.

Magic over Sixers in 5 : The Sixers will be lucky to sneak one win in here.

Celtics over Bulls in 6 : Shades of last year as Celtics struggle to start the playoffs.

2nd Round :

Cavs over Heat in 5 : D-wade comes up way short in his attempt to get some revenge on LeBron for winning the MVP. Really, both of these teams are one man shows, but LeBron seems to get more people involved.

Celtics over Magic in 6: Perkins always does a great job on Howard and everyone else on the Celtics team starts coming out of their playoff funk.

Conf. Finals :

Cavs over Celtics in 5 : Boston busts out KG for this one. No matter. They get owned.

WEST:

Lakers over Jazz in 6 : The Jazz give it a good effort, but no dice.

Blazers over Rockets in 7 : Home court decides this one.

Spurs over Mavs in 7 : The Mavs give their fans one last heartbreak before turning into this years suns, next season.

Nuggets over Hornets in 7 : Paul can't quite do it all by himself.

2nd Round

Lakers over Blazers in 5 : Last series took way too much out of the Blazers. Greg Oden proves to be the Blazers biggest weakness, first against Yao, this time it costs them against Bynum and Gasol.

Nuggets over Spurs in 7 : Billups leads them past the semi's.

Conf. Finals

Lakers over Nuggets in 5 : This might as well be a sweep.

NBA Finals

Cavs over Lakers in 6 : Kobe tries to get it done by himself. But National Basketball Entertainment has decided it's LeBron's time.

Look at those Lakers giving up 100 pts on average to their opponents they will never win like that!

O wait I'm not Karc sorry buddy had to give u some shit there. The Laker bench played great today, can't expect that every game but if the bench plays even close to that thru the playoffs the Lakers are going to be hard to beat.

Magic-76ers is closer than I thought it would be too, I can't see the 76ers winning the series but if they do Shaq's comments about Stan Van Gundys teams being soft and badly coached may ring true

Look at those Lakers giving up 100 pts on average to their opponents they will never win like that!

O wait I'm not Karc sorry buddy had to give u some shit there. The Laker bench played great today, can't expect that every game but if the bench plays even close to that thru the playoffs the Lakers are going to be hard to beat.

The Jazz bench outscored the Lakers bench 37-33. Ariza started so that does not count.

The Jazz finally started driving to the basket in the second half, getting points in the paint and free throws. They cut a 22 point lead to 9 several times. They managed to foul out Pau Gasol, something that has not been done this season. Not sure why they didn't try to get Bynum out too, since he had five at that point.

Deron Willians had 17 assists and only 3 turnovers. Do that instead of jacking up bad shots and he cannot be beat.

Jazz did not have Okur who is their second best scorer. Lakers didn't have Mbenga, either, but seriously...

The second they get Okur back, they win four straight.

And if I'm an LA fan, I'm pissed that the Lakers give up 100. That means no free tacos. Seriously, stay classy, LA fans, booing the team that's about a win a playoff game because you want free food and they could not deliver. No wonder there are so many fat people in this country.

So the Jazz put up a great fight and still lose by nearly twenty. They cut it to 9!? Are you serious, what fucking significance can you take out of them being able to get the lead down to 9!? Okur or not, they should be glad they scored 100.

I can't wait to see how ridiculous these excuses get as this series goes on.

I think the Lakers were trying to torment Karc by casually beating down the Jazz at their leisure, while leaving just enough hope that the backdoor sweep is still within reach.

Denver just beat NO down there in the last game of the night, I thought Chris Paul would have more

Karc- Jazz didn't figure out the Lakers in the second half they just got to the line more and picked up points that way.

And my line up there about the Lakers giving up 100 pts on average doesn't mean ne thing if they average 113 points a game that was my point. Okur might raise the difficuilty level for the Lakers, if he even comes back for the series, is he I haven't heard ne thing, but they still finish it in 4-5 games

Just keeping lining up those excuses. Quoting people from FOX is usually the first sign of someone who really knows what they're talking about.

Jay Glazer scooped ESPN on almost every NFL story for the last two years. So unless you were being sarcastic, I agree with you that people from Fox have at least some idea of what they are talking about.

And I do not think Orlando is winning that series. Not after that choke job. They clearly need a closer, and it's not Hedo.

The Jazz's ability to get to the line is one of the reasons I think they can win this series. I watched them jack up bad shots and miss easy layups in the first half. That was not happening in the second half. Giving up the 113 is slightly misleading because the Lakers were shooting lights out (55 percent). Jazz made 39 percent from the field and still got 100. They just need to stick to the formula with Williams and getting fouls, get Okur back, and they have a good chance. Even without Okur, they still win their home games.

And really, Boston? A rookie coach goes into the Garden for the first time in a playoff game and wins? No wonder ESPN has backed off the Celtics bandwagon. Even if you aren't going back to the finals, at least act like you care. Specifically Paul Pierce, who couldn't hit a free throw to save his life. Certainly not his life in the playoffs. Yeah, and this guy screamed from the rooftops that's he's better than Kobe Bryant last year. Much as I think the Lakers are higly overrated, if Bryant is on the line in the same scenario, he nails both without breaking a sweat. Then, Pierce's bad shooting, the turnovers, and Ray Allen only hitting one shot the whole game. Combined with ESPN's BS at the end of OT, this angered way more than the Lakers-Jazz game. See ya, Boston.

And shame on the Hornets for trying bring out the thugs in Denver. With Billups there, it is not going to happen. He has a ring and will actually get those players to show up. Of course, if Iverson was still there, it's a four game sweep for New Orleans.