TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
George_South

Why the decline in tag-teams?

So....why are legitimate tag-teams all but extinct these days? Why exactly did this entire division just go away?

At best, we get the random pairing of two solo grapplers forming a temporary (i.e., for that one bout) team---but I'm talking about same color wrestling trunks, team finishers, team names, etc.

Where have the Midnight Expresses of the world gone? And WHY are they gone?

So....why are legitimate tag-teams all but extinct these days? Why exactly did this entire division just go away?

At best, we get the random pairing of two solo grapplers forming a temporary (i.e., for that one bout) team---but I'm talking about same color wrestling trunks, team finishers, team names, etc.

Where have the Midnight Expresses of the world gone? And WHY are they gone?

One reason is because there are no territories anymore. Take the Midnight Express, for example. They were, more or less, a random pairing of talent that Watts got in a trade from Lawler and Jarrett. Watts took a chance, put them together, and they clicked because Condrey and Eaton were both real good workers (Granted, they had been involved in other tag-teams before that). The point being, though, is that they traveled together (Along with Cornette) and had ample time to work together through all the spot shows and regular events. They were able to hone their craft because, well, they had other great teams (The Rock 'n Roll Express, who like the Midnights, were put together pretty much on a whim to be the alternative to the Fabulous Ones) to work with.

I'm guessing the WWE sees legit tag-team wrestling as another thing that is too "old school". They'd rather have a team like Rated RKO or Batista and Cena operate for a couple of weeks instead of investing a lot of time and effort into developing a full time tag-team. The irony is that they have had good tag-team wrestling up until recently with teams like Eddie and Chavo, Benjamin and Haas, and all the great tag-team work that the Attitude-era gave us (Hardys, Dudleys, APA, Edge/Christian, etc.)