TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TheFranchise

TNA Epics

I wonder what classic gems we're given tonight.

One things for sure.. It won't touch last weeks show.

Best North American match ever* is pretty impossible to follow.

*Blind spot for that particular match. Best I've personally ever seen.

And here we are again! Once again, TNA programming is sponsored by The Wrestler, on DVD and Blu-Ray!

'The Worlds Most Polite Wrestler' Mick Foley presents us.

AJ Styles and Christopher Daniels meet Americas Most Wanted!

BRADEN WALKER IS IN THE RING~!!!

Also later on in the night, Team 3D face 'two of the most prolific names in tag-team wrestling history' - I wonder who they'll be?

Walke... Er, Chris Harris is sporting somewhat of a moustache!

Hope it made the DVD.

Jesus, Gail Jim looks black.

Who is this?

A girl has just choke slammed Gail.

Who the hell is this woman? She's built.

01.jpg

Angels Wings! Elbow drop to break up the pin to.. the ref? Strange. Ref bump obviously. Storm hits Walker with the beer bottle. You know, back then, Harris looked GREAT, awesome physique.

Frog splash, BME, game over.

Styles and Daniels defeat AMW to win the NWA World Tag-Team Championship.

Second match, Legend One was..

Rick Steiner!!

Scott was taken out injured.

Okay..

Who's his partner?

The crowd are already chanting Animal.

Well kept secret I guess..

It IS Animal!

ROAD WARRIOR ANIMAL!!!

He was in pretty good shape actually. Tenay oversells Animals entrance.

Even Team 3D look in a good shape in this one.

Pretty boring match.

Team 3D defeat Animal and Rick Steiner.

And.. We are back!

We've had two matches already so I assume this is our main event!

Kurt Angle vs AJ Styles!

Last years Slamiversary!

TOMKO IS HERE!

Jesus, Angle's certainly put some.. muscle on the last 12 months.

Oh, it's Karen Angle.

NOW I remember this awful feud.

AJ Styles defeats Kurt Angle.

Not a great show this week, but still, something to have on in the background.

That's "Sirelda", aka Jamie D. After Gail Kim proved a constant advantage for AMW in that feud AJ and Daniels brought her in to neutralize Kim. She disappeared from TNA right after that feud ended.

The Dudleyz vs Rick Steiner/Animal match was SUPPOSED to be Dudleyz vs The Steiners in one of those "first time matchup between legendary teams" things. But a week or so before the match Scott suffered that near fatal throat injury in Puerto Rico so they just threw Animal in last minute. It was a nothing match that wasn't even supposed to happen but from the looks of that Slammiversary card there really wasn't much to speak of beyond KotM. That card features entries from the never ending EY vs Roode feud, the comedy Bob Backlund vs Alex Shelley feud (which at least was where the Guns more or less formed in TNA), the uncomfortable VKM vs Christy Hemme feud that had VKM as the faces for saying a woman's place was on her knees, and a Frank Wycheck match.

EDIT: And yes, Harris was tremendous back then. AMW would have great feuds with AJ/Daniels and LAX, break up, and then Harris and Storm would have an absolutely GREAT Texas Death Match just about 2 years ago that many called a MOTY contender and another really brutal and fun match in the KotM qualifiers. Which remains the hugely shocking part of how much he dropped in a year from June '07 to Braden Walker in July '08.

He got put into the King of the Mountain match after his Storm feud and it was a hard enough push and the match was in enough doubt that a lot of people thought there was a real chance he'd get the title. And he was booked well in the match. Then coming out of the match he feuded with Christian and was definitely in the main event mix.

Then he got sidetracked when he went into a feud with Dustin Rhodes/Black Reign, which probably wasn't intended to be a demotion but was cruddy enough to amount to it. That's when he started to pack on the pounds and seem to get lazy in the ring, and most fans seemed to figure he was unhappy that his main event push had ended up with him wrestling "Rat On a Pole" matches with the poor man's Goldust. When it was over he had lost a lot of stock thanks to the feud and his physical condition and TNA ended up sticking him on the sidelines. For the last few weeks he would get TV time to complain about his lack of TV time and push in some kind of quasi-shoot thing that resulted in TNA granting him his release.

His stock had definitely dropped from his flirtation with the main event to his release but certainly not close to the Walker levels. At that time most figured "He was getting lazy thanks to TNA's bad treatment so he'll get back in shape with WWE."

No show tonight.. Have they cancelled their show?

I remember hearing it was supposed to be Best of women's TNA matches (so probably alot of Kong/Gail Kim in other words) so I don't think it's cancelled. Maybe postponed or moved to a different time or something?

While Hogan's part was no more than that once video the ultimate payoff was Sting in what I THINK was his debut with the company. So as much as the Hogan thing was an abortion it actually did turn into something that mattered. My guess is you get Hart and is calvacade of old friends of Hogan (Jim Duggan and Rick Steiner to my memory) ultimately ending with Sting, and I assume the "big" match there. Sting/AJ vs JJ/Luger, I think. Certainly not my choice for a show but I guess its a notable enough part of TNA's history and lets them showoff their ability to get guys like Hogan and Luger to "appear" and maybe puts AJ over a little. But from what I've noticed I don't think TNA really has a clear ulterior motivation for Epics or they wouldn't be showing so many departed wrestlers, especially WWE players. I think one of the upcoming weeks is actually "The Best of Jeff Hardy."

Vince Russo does a run-in on Jarrett. Yes.

And he's beating the crap out of Jarrett with a chair!

He's got long hair!

HE JUST PUT JARRETT THROUGH A TABLE!

You know, for someone who didn't watch TNA in this era, this whole situation is dumbfounding.