TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
George_South

Kinds of matches you wish they'd bring back

There are two kinds of match stipulations I definitely miss and wish they'd have from time to time:

1. Loser-leaves-town for [insert designated number of days] match;

and

2. Hair-vs-hair match.

Any others that y'all miss?

War Games the top match on my list.

Loser-Leaves town matches worked well in the territory days because a guy could go to another territory and work there for a while, while the guy that won the match would get the beneficial heat. Then, when the loser would return for "revenge", there would be an instant money feud. It'd be kind of hard to pull that off today, unfortunately.

War Games the top match on my list.

Loser-Leaves town matches worked well in the territory days because a guy could go to another territory and work there for a while, while the guy that won the match would get the beneficial heat. Then, when the loser would return for "revenge", there would be an instant money feud. It'd be kind of hard to pull that off today, unfortunately.

Yeh, good point. Guess I miss the provincial aspect of the territory days.

What about scaffold matches? I miss those as well.

Dog-collar matches, too.

2/3 falls for me, which is what i think they should have done for Edge/Hardy. Have Hardy win the 1st fall really quick, then have Edge win the 2nd fall, then for the 3rd, have Edge get DQ'd or counted out so they can keep the feud going and have the blowoff at SS in a TLC match, assuming Jeff resigns by then.

2/3 falls for me, which is what i think they should have done for Edge/Hardy. Have Hardy win the 1st fall really quick, then have Edge win the 2nd fall, then for the 3rd, have Edge get DQ'd or counted out so they can keep the feud going and have the blowoff at SS in a TLC match, assuming Jeff resigns by then.

I was just thinking of the 2/3 falls match between Flair and Bobby Eaton. It was on either WCW Saturday Night or one of the clashes. Bobby Eaton was a pretty good worker and Flair made him look evee better that night. I was a 10 year old mark who honestly thought that Eaton had the chance to win the title. That kind of match could really elevate someone while maintining the heat of the winner/champ.

I was just thinking of the 2/3 falls match between Flair and Bobby Eaton. It was on either WCW Saturday Night or one of the clashes. Bobby Eaton was a pretty good worker and Flair made him look evee better that night. I was a 10 year old mark who honestly thought that Eaton had the chance to win the title. That kind of match could really elevate someone while maintining the heat of the winner/champ.

Yeah... the traditional approach in a 2/3 falls match was, if the challenger won the 1st or 2nd fall... he was technically but not officially the champion at that point since he had pinned the title-holder. It allowed them to save face in the instance where the heel champion would be winning it all in the end.

An even better, cliff-hanger style (Even though it'd probably tick off some fans in the process) would be the heel champ to win the first fall, the babyface wins the second, and then either a draw or DQ for the third. I know it's a cheap ending, but it allows for a mega-blow-off match because the face can go around saying he technically scored the last fall of the match, and the heel can deny as much as possible.

The same principle applied for the matches that were designed to go to 60 minute draws (And it can be applied in a 2/3 context as well): The champion doesn't have to be pinned and can coast his way through the match, but like the Bockwinkel/Hennig match, for instance, it turns into an example of the champion not being able to beat his opponent... thus the face leaves with major heat, even though he didn't get a win. He can brag that he took the best wrestler in the world to the limit, and the best still couldn't pin his shoulders to the mat. Simple, but effective.

Re: 2/3 Falls

The Briscoes are notorious for using the 2/3 Falls gimmick over the last few years in RoH. It's a tool that was often used to put over how dominant of a team they are (usually winning two straight falls, leaving no requirement for a third), with a few used to put over new challengers to the RoH World Tag belts (either by having them beat the team in that gimmick, or at least get a fall in).