TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
muda345

Who gave the Best/Worst promo

Who in your opinion was the best and worst at giving promos in wrestling history

Best: Ric Flair

Worst: Ken Patera, with Tugboat coming in a close second

There have been a ton of great talkers in the business... some of the elite:

-Ric Flair, Dusty Rhodes, The Rock, Steve Austin, Jim Cornette, Bobby Heenan, Shawn Michaels, Ted DiBiase, Randy Savage, Jake Roberts, Michael Hayes

Of the obvious names not mentioned, I always found Bret Hart's promos from 96 onwards to be top notch. Even his build up to WrestleMania 12 was pretty awesome, even if it was face/face. Of course, 1997 came and he excelled even more.

Yeh, you guys already covered most of the best talkers. Although I was always partial to Arn Anderson's work on the mic. Guy always made me feel like it was for real.

As far as the worst on the stick, Tracey Smothers. That stuttering, bumbling moron was the best (read: the worst) when he was in Smokey Mountain.

If I absolutely have to fill the arena, I want Jake Roberts cutting the promo. Paul Heyman's pretty damn good on the stick and I loved Kurt Angle's mic work during the Austin feud.

Agree that Bret's promo's from 1996 and onward were great. There was just something real about the way he talked that made you think, this is how this guy would talk if what was going on was real.

If I absolutely have to fill the arena, I want Jake Roberts cutting the promo. Paul Heyman's pretty damn good on the stick and I loved Kurt Angle's mic work during the Austin feud.

What was so great about Jake Roberts is that he never (or very rarely) ever raised his voice in a promo. He got it over without screaming, unlike a lot of other people.

I would say Foley cut some great promos in his day, Austin is always hilarious and may be the most popular guy in the business, The Rock practically sunk as Rocky Maivia then he took over on the mic and became a Legend. Santino Marella I think will be one of the greats someday soon, his mic skills and comedic timing are amazing.

Sid is awful at promos, Vaders promos are rarely more than WHOS THE MAN ARG, though I love that about him, so I am not sure if it counts. Benoit is probably the worst I have heard on a mic.