TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Lightning Flik

Info On GBA's Mythri

Guest Lightning Flik

Ok. I somewhat stupidily brought up in another thread (100 reasons GBA > PS2) Mythri. Now then, when I didn't receive a response about the game, I thought everyone had heard something about it and so thought nothing of it. Then, a few post later, some people thought I meant Mythril instead of Mythri and thusly are confused.

So instead of trying to explain what Mythri is about in another thread and totally bring it off topic, I decided to make a thread devoted to Mythri so as for questions concerning the game. Hence, this thread.

Considering the kind, caring person I am, I'll save people some time and just outright put stuff up here about the game and that.

Please note: I do not have any connection with this game, and only heard about it by the off chance. So please refrain from asking me silly questions that I'll have no way of answering.

War rages across the planet Gaia. Fear and hatred creep through city streets on soldier's armored heels. A few desperate individuals fight for control of their own lives, but darkness moves among them. The power of Magic spreads: a bastion for those who desire power, meaning, or control.

Luna gazes silently on its sister sphere, unable to judge or interfere, as its fate also hangs in the balance. Two worlds tied by fate, marching toward mutual destruction, neither able to accept the one power capable of shaping destiny.

The Gravity Well between worlds swallows all things. Light, memories, and time itself are forgotten without remorse. But nothing can truly be destroyed--not as long as someone can recall it.

And in the midst of it all, a lonely farmer gazes into the stars above his fields; oblivious as legends and stories place the world's only hope into the hands of he who has none.

The Selling Points Of The Game: (<--was added in by Lightning Flik)

An epic role-playing adventure, now in the palm of your hand!

Detailed manga-style cinematcs tell an engrossing story, spanning over 40 hours of gameplay.

Innovative battle system, defend your characters or rush the enemy in an all-out attack!

Sweepingly powerful musical score.

Need To Know Stuff: (<-again title added by Lightning Flik)

Developer:

Team XKalibur

Release date:

TBA

Genre:

Role-Playing

ESRB rating:

Pending

Players:

Platform:

Game Boy Advance

NGC/GBA link support:

No

Peripherals:

None

Screenshots: (<--you guessed it, added in by Lightning Flik)

mythris1.jpg

mythris2.gif

mythris3.gif

Release Date: (<--one more, Lightning Flik)

May 2004

Apparently, I also missed the fact that Team XKalibur (Mythri's publisher) has a website:

http://www.teamxkalibur.com/

Also for your listening pleasure is Mythri's Theme Song (From Team XKalibur's Site):

http://www.teamxkalibur.com/mythri.mp3

Also some songs before Mythri went from a Gameboy Color to Gameboy Advance (From RPGamer.com):

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/other/gba/myt.../mp3/mythri.mp3

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/other/gba/myt...i/mp3/clash.mp3

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/other/gba/myt...3/bloodshed.mp3

Also one track from E3. I'm guessing this is probably the first song I posted up (From RPGamer.com):

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/other/gba/myt...3/mythri001.mp3

Oh heck some preview art as well:

Kageru_Promo.jpg

Kageru

Abel_Promo.jpg

Abel

The Progression Of Mythri Becoming An Actual Game (As Told By RPGamer.com):

Details on a New RPG for the GBC 

Pokémon aside, Nintendo's Game Boy Color's RPG offerings have been few and far between during the last few years, with must-have role-playing titles even more rare. American developer Team XKalibur hopes to help change this situation with their upcoming Game Boy Color RPG, Mythri -- a traditional Japanese-style RPG in the same vein as such titles as Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior. Despite the inherent similarities to these classics of old, Mythri features many unique aspects that help it break the mold, such as anime-style cutscenes, dynamic real-time magic spells, and much more.

The world of Mythri features the two planets Luna and Gaia, which orbit each other in balance. The two ancient "SourceGems," Mythri and Arcana, keep each other in check, and the destruction of either would cause unrecoverable catastrophe. Mythri follows the story of Kageru, a manic depressive farmer, as he and his companions travel through over 50 different environments.

Mythri uses a turn-based combat system with the usual selection of special attacks, magic spells, defensive strategies, and more. What makes battles unique, however, is the game's implementation of magic. The amount of time a character spends casting a spell, which is controllable by the player, directly corresponds to the effectiveness of the spell. Players must be careful, though, because a strong blow taken while casting a spell may break a character's concentration and dissipate the spell. Mythri's battle system gives players plenty of strategic options, such as position customization to let other party members to protect spell casters. Different characters have their own unique talents, too, such as one character's ability to turn enemies' skills back against them.

Despite its exciting features and the fact that it is an American-developed game, Mythri may not see a release any time soon. Currently, the game's developer, Team XKalibur, has not yet found a publisher for the title, which puts all release announcements on hold until the situation changes. Mythri certainly has a lot going for it, so let's hope that an RPG-friendly GBC publisher such as Ubi Soft will pick up publishing rights soon. Stay tuned to RPGamer for any new developments on this new Game Boy Color RPG.

by Andrew P. Bilyk

Help Mythri Find a Publisher 

In a world of countless Tomb Raider clones, a flood of movie- and cartoon-licensed games not worth the CD or cartridge they're printed on, yearly sports titles that don't seem to get any better, and the current plethora of monster-training games, originality in video games has become a rare sight indeed. Even the once-barren RPG market has become saturated with too many titles that just don't offer anything new. Game Boy Color developer Team XKalibur is working to break this stagnant mold, but they need your help.

Last month, RPGamer brought gamers a first look at Team XKalibur's Mythri, a unique anime-style RPG for the Game Boy Color. The game certainly has a lot going for it, and would be a great addition to the rather bland Game Boy Color RPG selection. Unfortunately, as we reported earlier, the game is still without a publisher. According to Team XKalibur's website, www.teamxkalibur.com, "Some of today's publishers believe that in order to be successful, a game needs to be based on a popular franchise, a cookie-cutter 'me-too' title, or involve catching tiny monsters."

In response to this, Team XKalibur has created an online petition to help convince publishers that Mythri would be a worthwhile investment. As RPGamers, you can help Team XKalibur out and prove that there is a demand for Game Boy Color RPGs. Read about Mythri, take a look at some screenshots and character art, and listen to some music samples. If you like what you see, and you think you might be interested in purchasing this fantastic-looking title, head on over to Team XKalibur's website and sign their petition.

RPGamer would like to urge each and every one of our readers to sign Team XKalibur's petition. Mythri has so much potential, and it would be an absolute shame if the game never saw a release. The fate of Mythri may very well lie in your hands -- make your voices heard!

by Andrew P. Bilyk

Team XKalibur Closes Mythri Petition Drive 

For the past few months, RPGamer has been following the progress of an upcoming Game Boy Color RPG. Given the relative scarcity of RPGs for the system, and the still greater rarity of top-notch releases, word of a potentially groundbreaking new game should be enough to perk any RPGamer's interest. That game is Mythri.

Mythri's developer, Team XKalibur, conducted a fan petition drive over the past several months to help convince publishers to bring it to store shelves. The drive has now closed, but over 4,000 fans have signed the dotted line in recent weeks. Furthermore, according to Team XKalibur, several publishers are currently evaluating Mythri for publication. These companies may be skeptical about whether the gaming public will buy a game styled in Mythri's old-fashioned, "classic" RPG manner. According to the developers, it's up to fans to contact publishers to demonstrate their support for Team XKalibur's creation--and while the official petition is no longer an option, Team XKalibur's web site provides contact information for a number of companies, and suggestions for helping to promote Mythri.

New and old fans alike can check out RPGamer's healthy supply of Mythri media, including screen shots, MIDI and digital music, and character artwork. Thanks to Team XKalibur's work, RPG fans everywhere are getting the chance to make their voices heard in a meaningful way to the companies who publish their favorite games; and every fan who speaks out in Mythri's favor brings this unusual, but promising new game that much closer to becoming a reality.

by Bill Johnson

Mythri Finds A Publisher 

Several years after we first told you about Mythri and its quest for a publisher, a publisher has indeed been found. Variant Interactive, an relatively new face to the world of gaming, has scooped up Mythri and intends to publish the game in December of 2003. Meanwhile, the game will now published on the Game Boy Advance rather than the Game Boy Color. No word on whether or not this will in turn mean upgraded graphics for the game, but Team XKalibur, Mythri's developers, told us that new media would be available soon.

For those of you who may have forgotten, or are just too lazy to click the above links, here's the skinny on Mythri. It's an epic RPG in the Japanese tradition, concerning a manic depressive farmer named Kageru and his quest to save both the worlds of Luna and Gaia from obliteration. The game utilizes manga-style cut scenes, and features an impressive 40 hours of gameplay. Mythri will use a standard turn-based battle system, but where the game stands apart from the pack is its magic system. Now that Mythri has a publisher, it looks like everyone will have the opportunity to try this homegrown RPG for themselves. We'll be bringing you more Mythri coverage as soon as it's available to us, so be sure to check back with us soon.

by Justin Harwood

And just for those who are wondering, RPGamer heard about Team XKalibur first and foremost and have supported them (along with myself) the way. Hence why you have RPGamer on this thread so much.

Well there you go. I probably have now cause a headache for the whole board, but I'd rather get the word out about this game. As it should be good. Also, thought the rating is pending, from what I've gathered on Mythri's own board is that there is enough "adult" concepts that will probably make sure that the rating might end up above E.

And that's it for the stuff on Mythri. Digest it well. And of course bitch about the excessive amount of bandwidth I've used with this post.

Guest J*ingus

Was anyone else weirded out that apparently nobody knew that J.R.R. Tolkien invented the idea of mythril, a really cool magical metal, and instead were attributing it to folklore, NES games, or whatever?

Guest Lightning Flik
Was anyone else weirded out that apparently nobody knew that J.R.R. Tolkien invented the idea of mythril, a really cool magical metal, and instead were attributing it to folklore, NES games, or whatever?

I do know where it comes from (the term mythril that is), but everyone was kinda glossing over the fact that I had no l and attributing that as an err on my part.

Hence this thread.

Guest J*ingus

Ya, I know, and I'd never heard of Mythri either, so thanks for the pointer. I just thought it was weird how many video game nerds here apparently never read or saw Lord of the Rings.

Guest Lightning Flik
Ya, I know, and I'd never heard of Mythri either, so thanks for the pointer.  I just thought it was weird how many video game nerds here apparently never read or saw Lord of the Rings.

:) Just spreading the word of Mythri.

:huh: Really? A lot haven't heard that Tolkien did that?

You've gotta be kidding me. Tolkien is the MAN who set down pretty what is the accepted standards for the fantasy worlds. The Dwarven, Elven, Orcs, and a lot of other races were mostly modified to his standard that he set down. He also created a language for most of the races like Dwarven, Elven, and I do believe Orc as well.

It's just a shame he never got to create the sequel to Lord Of The Rings. He was planning one, but died before he could get them off the ground.

Also, apparently on Mythri's boards is that the battle system will be an "engagement system". What that means, I have no idea. That's about all that's being released about anything right now.