TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest FrigidSoul

Madden 2004 Owner's Mode

Guest FrigidSoul

I can't be the only one wanting to gloat over my team. I took the Pats and in the first year traded away to Arturo Freeman from the Dolphins and Jevon Kearse from the Titans. I won the Super Bowl and noticed the Bucs didn't resign Warren Sapp so I traded away Ted Washington for picks, signed Sapp and now have 3-4 with the D-Line being Kearse, Sapp, and Seymour. Could you imagine facing that line in real life?

Guest FrigidSoul
Um... Yah. Pretty easy I'd say. I've got Terrell Owens, Randy Moss, Chad Johnson and Kelly Holcomb.

...:D free agency is lovely when you make a 20 million profit.

Do you have the Salary Cap on? It seems hard to believe you would have those 4 offensive players unless you really suck elsewhere. My defense is killer but my O-line pretty much sucks mega-nuts. I also have McGahee as my RB (traded a 2nd rounder for him) so my running game isn't great although I do expect it to be better with time

Um... Yah. Pretty easy I'd say. I've got Terrell Owens, Randy Moss, Chad Johnson and Kelly Holcomb.

...:D free agency is lovely when you make a 20 million profit.

Do you have the Salary Cap on? It seems hard to believe you would have those 4 offensive players unless you really suck elsewhere. My defense is killer but my O-line pretty much sucks mega-nuts. I also have McGahee as my RB (traded a 2nd rounder for him) so my running game isn't great although I do expect it to be better with time

Um... I didn't say I didn't suck elsewhere. My defensive core IS the Texans after all. My RB and FB suck, and well... Besides my offense, I suck.

Thankfully, I blitz at the right times in games and get the affordable sack that ensures me getting the ball back and going up by 14.

And yes, I got rid of most of the dead weight from there (coughCarrcough) and huge contract sums.

I signed most of them to small deals though to make sure they'd stay.

Guest FrigidSoul
My RB and FB suck, and well... Besides my offense, I suck.

Get McGahee with a 2nd rounder

My RB and FB suck, and well... Besides my offense, I suck.

Get McGahee with a 2nd rounder

Heh. Sure. If I can, I'll have to see where he's at.

I'm kinda amazed though that if you get rid of all of the Texans big costlies, and that, you CAN make 20 million dollars. Wait two-three years for that to happen though, doesn't happen right away.

It was funny cause now I've got like a great team. Well offensively. Defense is a little weak, special teams is a little meager, but I win games.

I like my team cause my team is like super great at offense. My point average was 27.8 over the span of the last season I played (my fourth). I never got held to less than 20.

Heheh... I still lost a few too many games though. Went 10-6, wildcard birth. Got smoked in semis against Oakland Raiders. I lost 46-44. Stupid FG killed me.

I think both teams had like 400+ yards offense. It was sick. I mean, the d did nothing.

Oh well, always next season. :) And I got 4th pick (trades are always good) in the first round and the 20th I think.

Guest FrigidSoul
I'm kinda amazed though that if you get rid of all of the Texans big costlies, and that, you CAN make 20 million dollars. Wait two-three years for that to happen though, doesn't happen right away.

Did you update the Roster before starting your Franchise? I mean with your rosters you should have released Bosseli since he retired and then lowered his attributes down all the way so nobody else would consider picking him up. That right there would have saved you big money if you didn't do it. I updated my rosters fully even creating some of the more notable left off players to specs I got online and renamed all the players that weren't in the Players Union but were on the game...I'm a freak like that heh

Guest FrigidSoul

Speaking of my killer defense I just got three straight interceptions, 2 by Roosevelt Colvin which were both returned for TDs and one by Ty Law...he was stopped though so my offense has to actually take the field lol

Lines pretty much dont matter to me. The best player on my offensive line is rated 79 and the best on my d-line is rated 75. I've focused on Half back(Clinton Portis), WR(Plaxico Burress, Randy Moss, Hines Ward), I traded for Aaron Brooks, a more mobile QB than what I had and he's developed a ton in two years. On defense my line is built with decent run stoppers, they cant rush the pass well though. The outside line backers are mostly for coverage, but one that I drafted this year is pretty fast, so I blitz him sometimes, the middle linebacker is more of a pass rusher. I spent a lot of money on defensive backs, and I'm getting around 2 INTs a game on All Madden with the sliders right in the middle. This formula seems to be working well so far.

Yeah, the pancake problem is fixed.

I play as the Steelers (big surprise) and I've managed to keep the core of the team together and win the Super Bowl in my first year on All-Pro (I'll probably switch to Madden next season, because I'm winning games way too lopsided). My secret to combating Pittsburgh's atrocious secondary was 1) Take out Burnt Alexander, put in Chris Hope (more speed!!!) 2) Start Pola over Mike Logan (he was green and let up some big plays, but it all worked out) and 3) Get pressure on the quarterback early and rely on special teams to help me get to a handy lead and then play cover 2. Chad Scott was the NFL's defensive MVP after returning an obscene 10 INTs for touchdowns, mostly while playing a cover 2.

I have the Bears, and I base my team around Rex Grossman, Anthony Thomas (made them studs through training) and my linebacking core, where I have Derrick Brooks and Rosie Colvin on the outside, and of course Urlacher in the middle.

I've also got this cb named Barton I drafted..99 spd, 99 ac, 98 kr...when he's healthy, he rules the school. Plus, he's got upper 70s catch with a 99 jump, so it makes up for the fact that he's 5'8".

I won a couple of Super Bowls by having Kiffin as my head coach, which resulted in some 85 Bears like win..fun fun.

Guest FrigidSoul
I won a couple of Super Bowls by having Kiffin as my head coach, which resulted in some 85 Bears like win..fun fun.

Does Madden let you Super Bowl Shuffle when you win with the Bears? *L*

Guest webmasterofwrestlegame

Living in the UK we are not that exposed to American Football and I am playing Madden 2004 while still learning the game, effectively. To give you an idea I have to have a sheet of paper explaining to me what the positions are.

I play with San Francisco and traded away Owens as I hardly ever pass as I keep getting picked off so much its not even funny. Yeah, I know - I must suck.

Still, in my first season playing on Pro level I have a 5-2 record.

Any tips on the game for me? I play 46 defence (hardly intercepted a thing in 7 games....) and I play a Run Heavy playbook. This basically means I win games by the odd field goal.

You should NEVER Play 4-6 because that is ONLY a run defense. Stay 4-3 or 3-4. You need your CBs covering people. Or do what I do.

Take the cowboys(with much free cap room), and trade for Vick and Moss. Then trade for a Seau and WIlliams, then throw a boatload of money into a good Defense Line. Moss is the fastest person in the game so Hail Mary passes from Vick(best arm in the game) is a easy touch down everytime.

Or if you really want to see how much a person can score in a 5 min game. Make a CAT with a few CAWs and go hog wild. The only team I made was my old highschool, of course only allowing the points they start you off with and working with those. Then I made a complete unbeatable squad, and faced on Madden against the 85 Bears. I almost lost because they are hard to beat.

Guest FrigidSoul
I play with San Francisco and traded away Owens as I hardly ever pass as I keep getting picked off so much its not even funny. Yeah, I know - I must suck.

Any tips on the game for me? I play 46 defence (hardly intercepted a thing in 7 games....) and I play a Run Heavy playbook. This basically means I win games by the odd field goal.

I guess if you weren't going to resign Owens then trading him away was a good thing. Of course it would have been better to probably trade away Jeff Garcia for Carson Palmer as it appears Carson gets really good really fast. From there build up your O-Line. I can't stress this enough though...get McGahee from the Bills for a 2nd overall pick and he'll be ready in the second year plus he'll be an explosive back signed for the next 4 years at a reasonable price. That allows you to trade Hearst if you're using the 49ers for Picks or upgrades in weaker spots

The 46 Defense is shit as was previously stated. Depending on what you have you should go 4-3 or 3-4

4-3 if you have two good run stopping DT and some fairly good pass rushing ends. Your line-backers will should have 2 good coverage and one good run stop/pass rush

3-4 is good if you have an excellent DT and 2 Above Average DEs. All of your LBers will need to be good at the Pass Rush because with the 3-4 its basically sending a mystery LBer in as the 4th rusher thus getting the other team off guard. Its always pretty good at the run but it'll usually open up different spots in the middle of the field making your pass defense weak unless you have 2 good safeties.

And there ya go

While not exactly related to this discussion, in my franchise just now I played a 9-9 team in the AFC championship. At first I thought oh, a .500 team is making the playoffs now, then I realized a .500 team would be 10-8 at the AFC championship, so this was a 7-9 team with a chance to go to the Super Bowl. This game is pretty close to the NFL.

Guest Flyboy

People play with Owner Mode? Talk about an overrated mode.

Right now, I'm in my third season with the Rams after winning 2 Super Bowls. I traded away Warner and #1 Round to Oakland (and a 77 OVR FB) and Faulk and a #3 rounder for a 80 OVR CB. I've drafted Vontez Duff, Kellen Winslow, and some other good/great college players.

The trade deadline has come and gone so I'll make moves for Palmer and McGahee after the season is done. I let Owens go and got R.Lewis from the Ravens. I also got M.Stratchan.

I am now 11-3 and (I think) certain for the playoffs - I am two games ahead of Seahawks and there are two games left.

I am will be changing my defence to a 4-3 straight away.

Thanks for tips.

Guest FrigidSoul

Right now, I'm in my third season with the Rams after winning 2 Super Bowls. I traded away Warner and #1 Round to Oakland (and a 77 OVR FB) and Faulk and a #3 rounder for a 80 OVR CB. I've drafted Vontez Duff, Kellen Winslow, and some other good/great college players.

I'm a poor man, if you wish to mail me your copy of NCAA 2004 so I can do the draft the right way I'll be most appreciative *L*

Also with Owner its better seeing how well you can keep your fan base, get good players, still make money, etc.

Guest Flyboy
People play with Owner Mode?  Talk about an overrated mode.

Right now, I'm in my third season with the Rams after winning 2 Super Bowls.  I traded away Warner and #1 Round to Oakland (and a 77 OVR FB) and Faulk and a #3 rounder for a 80 OVR CB.  I've drafted Vontez Duff, Kellen Winslow, and some other good/great college players.

I'm a poor man, if you wish to mail me your copy of NCAA 2004 so I can do the draft the right way I'll be most appreciative *L*

Sorry, bro, but my NCAA ownz me.

Guest MikeSC

Of course, if you don't mind cheating, you could just create a guy, make him a 12 (lowest you can go), sign him for 7 years (and for next to NO money), THEN jack his stats up to 99's on everything after he's signed. You'll have a perfect player for what you'd pay for the worst player in the game. It also works vice versa, so you can create a perfect player, give him an obscene contract without signing bonuses, trade him to somebody for draft picks or whatever, and then drop his stats down to nothing. They'll have a player with a rating of 12 and they spend nearly $10M a year on it.

My offensive starters cost me less than $9M a year and they're all 99's.

That is --- if you don't mind cheating.

-=Mike

...No, I don't really mind cheating

Guest El Satanico

Those don't sound good trades to me.

Warner and a #1 for a FB?

Faulk and a #3 for a middle of the road CB?

Meh. Sometimes you have to move money. With my Houston team, I'm thinking I'm in a rebuilding stage here soon after this recent clash with the Raiders, so I'll probably be doing exactly that.

Guest Flyboy
People play with Owner Mode?  Talk about an overrated mode.

Right now, I'm in my third season with the Rams after winning 2 Super Bowls.  I traded away Warner and #1 Round to Oakland (and a 77 OVR FB) and Faulk and a #3 rounder for a 80 OVR CB.  I've drafted Vontez Duff, Kellen Winslow, and some other good/great college players.

I hate Warner with a passion, and I've brought Bulger up to the best QB in the league. I forgot to mention that when I traded Faulk, I got Duce Staley who I have brought up to the 2-Time MVP. So, yeah.

Guest El Satanico

Oh hell I don't have a problem moving high priced players for picks to make room for younger players. I'm just saying that it seems like he could've gotten more in return.

Speaking of this...flik why do you have 3 star WRs. Big money for a 3rd WR when you have Moss and Owens as 1 and 2 is a waste of money. Get a cheaper 3rd WR and spend that money on defense.

Oh hell I don't have a problem moving high priced players for picks to make room for younger players. I'm just saying that it seems like he could've gotten more in return.

Speaking of this...flik why do you have 3 star WRs. Big money for a 3rd WR when you have Moss and Owens as 1 and 2 is a waste of money. Get a cheaper 3rd WR and spend that money on defense.

Uh... Well, let's say I had cash to burn, so burned it.

Most of them are/were up at the end of the season I was playing into anyways. So I figured what the hell? Ya know? Just cause I could.

You know, pull off a New York Yanker.

Sorry to Yankees fans.

Well having learnt more about the game and taking the advice here, I started again with the 49ers and am 6 - 0 on Pro level (a level I have consistantely struggled with). I have made no trades and rely on Owens just outpacing people to get the long ball from Garcia.

Quick question though - on offence I always choose my own plays. On defence I choose Ask Madden about 50% of the time - I haven't really noticed if it is better than the defence I choose. Is Ask Madden an ok option on the defence?

Guest Flyboy
Quick question though - on offence I always choose my own plays. On defence I choose Ask Madden about 50% of the time - I haven't really noticed if it is better than the defence I choose. Is Ask Madden an ok option on the defence?

I can't help you since I pick 96% of my plays. Oh, and Pro level? Pussy. :P