TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MrRant

A good reason to own guns in the home

Woman opens fire on intruder

A man is wounded as she defends her home with two handguns.

By M.S. Enkoji -- Bee Staff Writer

Published 2:15 a.m. PST Saturday, February 7, 2004

Firing nine rounds from two handguns, a 53-year-old Rancho Cordova woman fended off an intruder Thursday night after he crashed through her sliding glass door.

William Kriske, a 47-year-old parolee, was treated for a gunshot wound to the arm, then taken to jail and arrested on suspicion of burglary and resisting arrest, according to Sacramento County Sheriff's Sgt. Lou Fatur.

"It was one of those nights. I have a few holes in my glass out front," Carolyn Lisle said Friday. "That's OK, I don't think he'll be back," said Lisle, who emptied one .357 revolver at the intruder before she retrieved a second one and he crashed through another window to flee.

"I was trying to miss my furniture. Priorities, right?" Lisle said.

Lisle, shaken but spirited, recounted her night that started as a quiet evening of TV with three friends and two dogs in her living room.

At about 9 p.m., a noise at the sliding door prompted a male visitor to get up to investigate, but Lisle dashed to a back room to get one of her guns.

"I knew it couldn't be good," Lisle said.

When the intruder shattered the glass, Lisle's three guests fled from the house. Lisle stood her ground and opened fire.

"He was like a mosquito hitting the window. Every time he turned around, poweee," she said.

Lisle wasn't sure the intruder was alone so she nervously watched her back as she squeezed off rounds.

When she emptied one gun, she still hadn't hit him. And he wasn't gone.

"He was still in the garage, flitting around," she said.

She went to get another gun -- "I like to be prepared," she said -- and waited to see his next move. After tearing up the garage, he finally broke out through a garage window, but he veered toward Lisle's front door. She fired again, hitting him at least once.

The bleeding intruder ran across the street and tried to hot-wire a motorcycle, but its owners, already armed to come to Lisle's aid, chased off the would-be thief, she said.

She said one of the men yelled after the retreating burglar: "And that's just our womenfolk."

A California Highway Patrol officer stopped the suspect a short distance away and sheriff's deputies arrested Kriske.

Lisle is still puzzled why someone would break into a well-lit living room with four people and two dogs.

"It was like he was out to hurt someone," she said.

Fatur said a prowler had been reported moving through neighborhood back yards at about the time Lisle's house was invaded.

Lisle, who said her guns are registered, will not face criminal charges, Fatur said. California law allows someone to use deadly force whenever a reasonable person believes an intruder poses a threat to kill.

Lisle is the second homeowner in the Sacramento area this year to use deadly force against an intruder. In January, a Sacramento man shot and killed one of two armed intruders who broke into his home. He wasn't charged.

Studies done to determine whether gun ownership deters crime have only stirred more controversy because of the way statistics are gathered and analyzed, and the way people recall their experiences, said William Vizzard, chair of the criminal justice department at California State University, Sacramento.

"We tend to see ourselves as heroic rather than idiotic," said Vizzard, who is also a 30-year law enforcement veteran.

Vizzard, who has studied major research and written on gun issues, said two of the most prominent surveys differ dramatically in results, showing anywhere from 150,000 people a year to 2.5 million who claim success in thwarting crime with a gun.

"The answer is, no one can say for sure at the end of the day that the presence of a firearm doesn't increase your risk of getting injured, nor does it reduce your risk," he said.

Lisle is pretty sure where she stands: "You need protection in this day and age."

A retired state worker who once worked as a correctional officer, she did admit that she hadn't been to a shooting range lately: "After last night, I might go once in a while."

http://www.sacbee.com/content/news/...p-9159238c.html

Guest Salacious Crumb

Ohio just signed a concealed weapons bill into law. So it'll be good to see the mugging rates go down here.

Guest stardust
A retired state worker who once worked as a correctional officer, she did admit that she hadn't been to a shooting range lately: "After last night, I might go once in a while."

Good idea. Geezus, she fired off that many rounds and only managed to hit the guy once. She REALLY needs to go the range and brush up on her aim.

I'd like to set my alarm system so it plays "Natural Born Killaz" whenever someone breaks in, and the last thing they hear is Dr. Dre and Ice Cube and a gun being cocked.

Guest El Satanico

So she's one of the small percentage that has the guns fire for the reason she bought them and she didn't end up killing a family member or innocent bystander, big deal.

Frankly I'd rather have half blind old women killed than to have them wildly firing rounds off.

Guest Salacious Crumb
and that brings the number of good reasons up to '1'

Actually the mugging rates in states with concealed weapons laws goes down. The number of registered guns used in crimes is also very small.

and that brings the number of good reasons up to '1'

Actually the mugging rates in states with concealed weapons laws goes down. The number of registered guns used in crimes is also very small.

i wont argue about this...im very jaded when it comes to handguns, so im going to be biased.

last year there was a triple homicide near madison wisconsin. i knew two of the dudes. it was with the victims own handgun. it was by far the most impactful thing to happen in my life so far.

Copyright 2003 The Commercial Appeal, Inc. 

The Commercial Appeal (Memphis, TN)

August 16, 2003 Saturday Final Edition

SECTION: METRO; Pg. B2

LENGTH: 76 words

HEADLINE: 9-YEAR-OLD BOY SHOT BY PLAYMATE DIES

BYLINE: Sherri Drake

BODY:

A 9-year-old boy who was shot in the stomach by a playmate died Thursday, police said.

Edgar Velez, identified in earlier reports as Hector Valez, was shot July 30 at 1561 Duke.

Three children were playing in the home when one located a weapon and began handling it. The weapon fired, striking the boy.

The Shelby County Medical Examiner ruled the death accidental.

Officials have decided not to file any charges in the shooting at this time.

NOTES:

METRO & MID-SOUTH BRIEFS

LOAD-DATE: August 17, 2003

Another good reason to have guns in the house.

Copyright 2003 The Commercial Appeal, Inc. 

The Commercial Appeal (Memphis, TN)

August 16, 2003 Saturday Final Edition

SECTION: METRO; Pg. B2

LENGTH: 76 words

HEADLINE: 9-YEAR-OLD BOY SHOT BY PLAYMATE DIES

BYLINE: Sherri Drake

BODY:

A 9-year-old boy who was shot in the stomach by a playmate died Thursday, police said.

Edgar Velez, identified in earlier reports as Hector Valez, was shot July 30 at 1561 Duke.

Three children were playing in the home when one located a weapon and began handling it. The weapon fired, striking the boy.

The Shelby County Medical Examiner ruled the death accidental.

Officials have decided not to file any charges in the shooting at this time.

NOTES:

METRO & MID-SOUTH BRIEFS

LOAD-DATE: August 17, 2003

Another good reason to have guns in the house.

oh yea...the swell reasons just keep pouring in... :(

Copyright 2003 The Baltimore Sun Company

All Rights Reserved 

The Baltimore Sun

September 29, 2003 Monday FINAL Edition

SECTION: LOCAL, Pg. 1B

LENGTH: 725 words

HEADLINE: Boy, 4, fatally shoots sister, 5;

Prince George's Co. child also wounds his brother

BYLINE: Michael Dresser

SOURCE: SUN STAFF

DATELINE: LANDOVER

BODY:

LANDOVER - Prince George's County police were seeking an explanation yesterday of how a 4-year-old boy found a loaded handgun and fired it once - killing his sister and wounding his brother.

Kimberly Brice, 5, was pronounced dead Saturday night of a gunshot wound to the upper body, according to police spokeswoman Cpl. Diane Richardson. A 7-year-old, Gregory Thigpen Jr., was wounded by the same bullet and was in serious condition at a Washington area hospital.

The accidental killing of a child shocked residents of Palmer Park, a lower-income neighborhood blocks from FedEx Field.

A single bullet hole at the height of a small child's chest remained in the front door of the children's home yesterday as a grim reminder of another Maryland child killed by a child with a handgun.

Several such killings in the 1990s helped lead to passage of a law in 2000 requiring internal trigger locks on new handguns sold in Maryland as of Jan. 1. Police said there was no lock on the gun that killed Kimberly.

Four children but no adults were in the home when the shooting occurred about 8:30 p.m. Saturday.

The eldest child in the home, a 10-year-old girl, found the 4-year-old with the .45-caliber semiautomatic handgun and tried to shield the other two children from harm, Richardson said.

"Her first instinct was to get the other kids out of the house," the spokeswoman said.

However, the gun went off in the 4-year-old's hand, tore through the door and passed through Gregory before hitting Kimberly in the upper back, Richardson said.

The wounded children crossed the street and collapsed as the 10-year-old sister screamed. Neighbors summoned emergency crews to take the children to local hospitals.

Richardson said police were trying to determine yesterday where the adults at the address were at the time of the shooting.

The parents of the children, along with the 7-year-old brother, were named in an article posted on the Washington Post Web site. The parents are Gregory Thigpen Sr. and Jennifer Brice. The father was quoted as saying that he was at his job as a security guard when the shooting took place, and that the 4-year-old understood what happened and was "very remorseful."

Richardson said the child who fired the gun was too young to be held criminally responsible.

It will be up to the Prince George's County state's attorney to determine whether charges are brought against any of the adults living at the house, Richardson said.

Without providing details, she said some of the evidence pointed to accidental circumstances.

"We don't want people to assume that the person in charge of the gun carelessly left it lying around," Richardson said.

An atmosphere of stunned silence hung over the 2300 block of Tuemmler Ave., which had been crowded with television cameras Saturday night.

At the modest duplex bungalow where the child lived, a bicycle was chained to a fence by a weed-choked front yard. A sign was taped on the door yesterday afternoon saying, "No Media Trespassing."

Identical signs hung on the doors of a half-dozen homes nearby and several passers-by declined to comment. At least one resident called the police to complain about reporters' presence.

Earlene Gilmore, a 30-year neighborhood resident who lives a few doors away, said she did not know the family.

"Evidently they haven't been here that long," she said.

Monique Washington, another neighbor, said she didn't know the family but her children did. She said her 4-year-old son asked her whether the slain child was killed with a toy gun.

"At this age, they don't know what guns are," she said.

Washington said the shooting was "a shock to everybody."

"This is about the quietest street in Palmer Park," she said.

The shooting brought to four the number of children hit by gunfire in the county during the weekend. In a separate incident Saturday in Oxon Hill, a 10-year- old boy and an 8-year-old girl were seriously wounded, police said.

Police were trying to determine yesterday whether the victims, whose wounds did not appear to be life-threatening, were the intended targets in that shooting. Details were sketchy, but the shooting did not appear to be accidental, Richardson said. A 15-year-old girl at the home was arrested for failing to cooperate with police, but had not been charged in the shooting, she said.

The irony is that the 4 year old was a better shot than this woman.

Edited by Tyler McClelland

Guest Salacious Crumb

And you think banning guns is going to do squat? Criminals are going to get them regardless of the law and all you do is punish the law abiding.

HAH!

I love how you ignore two articles of mine which blatantly point out that if their parents hadn't owned the guns the children wouldn't have died.

watch your tongue dude....you never know when johnboy ashcroft could be reading

Guest Salacious Crumb
HAH!

I love how you ignore two articles of mine which blatantly point out that if their parents hadn't owned the guns the children wouldn't have died.

I'm not. If you own a gun you better damn well make sure a kid can't get ahold of the thing. It still doesn't mean every kid is going to go shoot himself just because the parents happen to own guns. People need to be responsible and lock them up if there are young hands about.

I'm not. If you own a gun you better damn well make sure a kid can't get ahold of the thing. It still doesn't mean every kid is going to go shoot himself just because the parents happen to own guns. People need to be responsible and lock them up if there are young hands about.

And after all, that ensures that these kids won't be able to get ahold of one at, say, the babysitter's house or when you're not home and they decide to go on a scavenger hunt through daddy's dresser.

Your argument about gun control is an entirely different issue. The topic, as Rant clearly framed it, is "why it's a good thing to keep a gun in your house." You're down the hall. Come back to us.

EDIT: fixed a grammatical error. Pardon.

I own seven privately registered handguns, two government-issued sidearms, and two privately registered rifles. My wife owns a small revolver. All our weapons are kept in our house, and amazingly enough, no one's dead yet. Sorry to interrupt your weepy ultraliberal circlejerk of worthless anecdotes. Wait, you say, that doesn't prove anything? That's just one household? Yeah. Exactly. And the same applies to your ridiculous hypermelodramatic stories. Over a hundred million households across the country have guns, and the number of accidents is vanishingly small in comparison - utterly meaningless statistically. The children of careless parents die in car crashes too. Let's ban cars next! How about charcoal grills? How about matches? They can set houses on fire and it's far easier for children to strike a match than it is for them to fire a gun. Let's ban matches. And lighters. After all, you little crybabies want to ban cigarettes too, so who needs lighters or matches?

You want my guns? Molon labe, fuckers. Molon labe.

Do you have kids with all of those guns in the house?

No?

Oh.

And for the record, you, too, are completely missing the argument at hand. I'm not saying we should ban anything. The topic you're posting in is: "A good reason to own guns in the home"

My counter-argument is: "It's not a good thing to keep guns in your house."

Your counter-counter argument is "RAR BLAH CHARLTON HESTON DON'T TAKE MY GUNS BECAUSE MY GOVERNMENT ISSUE WIFE HASN'T SHOT ME YET"

We're over here, Marney. Ya'll come back to us, too, y'hear?

Do you have kids with all of those guns in the house?

No?

Oh.

My eight year-old niece stays with us about three nights a week on average. She's got her own air pistol and we take her to the firing range at the NRA building once a week to practice with a real weapon. Her current ambition is to earn her NRA Junior Marksman badge before Christmas.

Next pathetic attempt at condescension, please.

you, too, are completely missing the argument at hand. I'm not saying we should ban anything. The topic you're posting in is: "A good reason to own guns in the home"

My counter-argument is: "It's not a good thing to keep guns in your house."

You haven't begun to argue. You've patronised people left and right, you've whined and cried like the limp-wristed sissy-boy you are, and you've drawn idiotic conclusions from anecdotal evidence. Prove that it's the guns rather than the parents that are at fault in any one of your stories. Prove it, or shut your yap.

Prove that it's the guns rather than the parenting that's at fault in any one of your stories. Prove it, or shut your yap

How many 4 year olds do you know that have enough of a sense of right and wrong to be able to understand that guns shouldn't be pointed and shot at their friends? If you teach the 4 year old (or under, for that matter) kid that guns can hurt people, etc., how developed is their sense of right and wrong that this should even MATTER to them?

Oh right, your superchildren understand it.

The obvious argument is that for every ONE of these stories (yes, the story about which this topic was originally intended), there's ten stories like the two I posted. Gee, that's a great ratio, isn't it? So yes, let's keep guns in our house so that, on the off-chance that someone happens to break into our house and threaten us, we'll have 1/10th of a chance of saving our family. When in reality, it's 10 times more likely that our kids will find the gun and shoot them/their friends than the aforementioned scenerio ever even happening.

But yeah, go NRA!

By the way, my interest in arguing this topic with you has already been far outweighed by the amount of time I've spent doing it. Peace, love, and violence, madam!

to all the heston fanboys out there....when someone you know is murdered with a handgun, or someone you know kills himself with a hangun, or when someone you know is accidentally killed by a handgun...your gung-ho gi joe attitudes might change.