TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Vitamin X

Best female vocalist...

Who is the best female vocalist out of these three?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the best female vocalist out of these three?

• Amy Lee, Evanescence
    • Cristina Scabbia, Lacuna Coil
    • Anneke Van Giersbergen, The Gathering

Guest Vitamin X

Just an interesting debate wondering who you guys might pick out of those 3, since they all seem to be in that kind of melancholic "goth" melodic metal thing.

It's America vs. Italy vs. Netherlands!

amysolo1.jpgCL04.jpghigh-2004-04.jpg

I can't fairly vote cause I haven't heard the other two. And I'm assuming anyone who has heard of the other two would vote for one of them...cause they obviously know the band well enough...I guess.

I like Amy Lee's voice though.

Lacuna Coil owns both of the other bands. The Gathering are decent, but Lacuna Coil are very good. And Evanescense fucking sucks.

Plus, it helps that Cristina is hotter than either of them (she's in the middle, for those who don't know).

Guest Vitamin X

All the Cristina Scabbia fans have voted and voiced their opinion...Wheras the Amy Lee fans stay quiet....

I myself have a difficult time gauging who I think is best between the three.. .Amy Lee's voice does strange things to me, especially on "October", the requisite "My Immortal", and "Everybody's Fool". Best examples of Cristina's work for those who aren't familair, check out two tracks from Comalies, "Heaven's A Lie" and "Angel's Punishment". From the Gathering, I recommend checking out "Rollercoaster".

There now you kids have homework if you haven't gotten a good sampling of all three vocalists, presenting me to my quandry.

Guest Vitamin X
Though I dont really dig the band...Amy Lee

I feel much the same way... Evanescence is just another crappy nu-metal band without Amy Lee. I'm not judging based on the bands, only the vocalists... In which case, I STRONGLY agree with CoreyLaz's opinion that Lacuna rocks both their worlds.

Anneke is a far better singer then both of them. I think she may lose points with people who know The Gathering do to the general stinkiness of their last couple of albums. Hypnotic eyes and bangin body coupled with a strong singing voice that is quite distinct = my pick.

For most people, Scabbia is the embodiment of pure sex within hard rock/metal, and I don't entirely disagree with them. A strong vocalist to back up a creative goth rock band. Nobody can reasonably argue the sentiments that Evanescence is coming from the tracks that Lacuna has already been while garnering big money's support. Lacuna would probably get a better spot if they were from north america.

Amy Lee seems visually like a 'OMG SHE'Z SO HOTT" or " who the fuck hit that poor young woman in the face with a shovel?". Like the rest of her band, her voice also has big money's support in that she seems highly processed in studio, while live she sometimes seems to not have the power that is displayed on record. But she is the youngest of the group and I will give her time. I don't feel bad for listening to their album...since i downloaded it and all.

while an evanesence song is a big radio station flipper in my book id say lee is a better singer against the lacuna coil singer having seen them live

i only heard one gathering song on a sampler can cant recall it so ill reserve judgment on that singer

Anneke Van Giersbergen has a better voice than both of them(haven't heard THAT much of them, but from what I have heard she clearly has more range and control), but I think Amy Lee has the stronger voice just not as much control as Anneke does(still haven't heard these live performances where Amy's voice didn't sound good. Everytime I see her live it sounds good.)

I think that the fact that Lacuna Coil is a ungodly amount better as a band than the Gathering and Evancesence and Scabbia is smoking is why she will garner more votes.

I'd take it as Anneke, Amy, then Scabbia.

The chick in the middle bears a scary resemblence to Alanis Morisette.

Her voice actually kinda reminds me of Alanis if she were less bob dylan-y and more RAWK-y.

*ducks*

Guest Vitamin X

um04.jpg

That will get that blasphemic Morrisette reference out of your system.

um04.jpg

That will get that blasphemic Morrisette reference out of your system.

didn't change her voice...

*ducks again*

Guest Vitamin X

I was actually referring to LOTC's post, but I don't see the Alanis voice comparison AT ALL....

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Christina Scabbia makes me purr, but I can't stand any of their fey girly makeup metal. Lacuna Coil was especially crappy when I saw them live, with the entire band totally sleepwalking through the set, the male singer acting like a stooge, and her desperately busting ass to not suck, which wasn't enough to make up for everyone.

I've only heard more recent shit (and I use that term literally) from The Gathering, so she's out, and Evanescence makes me fancy getting a sex change, so they're eliminated as well.

Amy Lee.

I haven't heard any Gathering, and frankly, though I've listened to at least a half-dozen Lacuna Coil songs, Scabbia seems more like a backup singer to whoever the fucking dude is that sings most of their tracks.

If she sang a bit more, perhaps I'd be more impressed with Lacuna Coil.

But she doesn't so I'm not.

I was actually referring to LOTC's post, but I don't see the Alanis voice comparison AT ALL....

She really sounds like a ANGRY~! Alanis in songs like Heaven's a Lie.

Vyce - what song? Because I know most of the Lacuna tracks I've heard have had Cristina singing most of the song, with the male singer just coming in here and there.

My vote is for Anneke Van Giersbergen, The Gathering,

I've been a huge Gathering mark since I heard "In Motion Part 1" on a compilation back in 1996. I personally love everything they have done from Mandylion to Sleepy Buildings.

As for the other two, I like what Lacuna Coil I have heard, but quite frankly Evancesence just annoys the hell out of me.

Vyce - what song? Because I know most of the Lacuna tracks I've heard have had Cristina singing most of the song, with the male singer just coming in here and there.

I forget exactly. Some of the songs off of Comalies, I think.

Which, BTW, was pimped heavily by someone, I think on this board, and from what I've heard of it....I'm not sure why. It's okay, but honestly, I don't think it's better than "Fallen".

I want to like Lacuna Coil, but from what I've heard, I can only give them a thumbs in the middle.

Of course, Scabbia is pretty hot. I do own a couple wallpapers of her.

I don't know The Gathering, but I'm semi familiar with Lacuna Coil. However, I go with Amy Lee, because she has one of the best voices I've ever heard period, and I thought so from the first time i heard her voice while watching Daredevil in theaters.

Lacuna Coil are a fine band themselves, but... I like Lee better :)

Now if only VH1 didn't feel they needed to play "My Immortal" twice an hour...