TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Incandenza

Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots

Guest Incandenza

Though it isn't suppose to come out until tomorrow, I came across a copy of the new Flaming Lips album today, so of course I bought it. I haven't listened to it yet, but I just wanted to brag to the two or three people here that like the Lips that I have it now, baby!

I'll be posting my thoughts on it in this thread later on, possibly this evening. Until then....

Guest evenflowDDT

Dude, cool! How did that happen though... just a mistake by the store putting it on the shelves early?

Guest Incandenza

**shameless bump**

Initial impression upon first listen: It's the Lips' strangest album--excluding Zaireeka--to date. I like it, though based on one listen, it doesn't quite live up to the expectations set by The Soft Bulletin (but so few albums by anyone could compare).

**end shameless bump**

EDIT:

Dude, cool! How did that happen though... just a mistake by the store putting it on the shelves early?

I guess. I would've asked the clerk about it, but this was a mall record store, and only clueless jackasses work at mall record stores.

(I guess my bump is not so shameless now.)

Guest evenflowDDT

Yea, I can imagine you asking them about it...

"Hi, this album isn't supposed to come out until tomorrow."

"What are you talking about, dude? Dave Matthews comes out tomorrow, not this... Flaming Lips, what are they some kind of new band? Why not just by the Nelly CD, it's on sale for $16.99!"

Also, I see you changed your name to the proper spelling. Cool... now if you can get back to 1136 within a month you will be the ultimate p05t wh0r3... haha

Guest Incandenza
Also, I see you changed your name to the proper spelling. Cool... now if you can get back to 1136 within a month you will be the ultimate p05t wh0r3... haha

Dr. Tom has offered to get me my old post count back, so I'll be back in the saddle soon.

But back to mall record stores, I know I would have saved a couple of bucks if I had just waited until tomorrow and picked it up at Best Buy, but it's the new Flaming Lips, dammit! I can't wait!

Guest Incandenza

I don't think I'll get around to writing a full review of this record, but it's a damn good one.

Guest Kinetic

I'm midway through my first listen and have two observations.

1.) The production sounds great.

2.) This album is prog as fuck.

Guest Incandenza
2.) This album is prog as fuck.

Outside of the pompous-sounding song titles--which aren't new to the Lips--I don't see how it's any more or less "prog" than The Soft Bulletin. That album was about brave scientists and superheroes; this one's about robots.

Guest Kinetic

I'd only listened to it once and was kind of put off by "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots Part 1" because of the very odd and straightforward narrative lyrics. Having had the opportunity to listen to whole album a few more times, I'd take back the "prog" statement. The only song I don't care for much is "Fight Test." "In The Morning of the Magicians" might be the best song I've heard all year.

I'd give it a 9.0 on the Pitchfork scale. Right now.

Guest Incandenza

I like "Fight Test," and the only song I don't care for is "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots Pt. 2." I agree with you on the awesomeness of "In the Morning of the Magicians," however.

Guest Anorak

I always thought 'The Soft Bulletin' was ever so slightly patchy for an album everybody nominated the best of the year, kind of similar to Lambchop's 'Nixon' album which was similarly acclaimed but had about 3 nothing tracks out of 10. I do love those two albums though, bands as good as them need to be treasured but there's always more room for dissapointment if those kind of artists don't deliver the albums they are capable of.

Guest LooseCannon

I wish I could comment on this album, but I still haven't heard the official release. I don't know the song titles, but if "In the Morning of the Musicians" is the song I think it is, I didn't think it was one of the stronger songs on the album. My favorite is the one that begins "Do you realize you have the most beautiful face..." which is the first song on the version I have. The only track I didn't like was the one that has the Japanese girl screaming and the crowd cheering.

Guest Kinetic
I wish I could comment on this album, but I still haven't heard the official release. I don't know the song titles, but if "In the Morning of the Musicians" is the song I think it is, I didn't think it was one of the stronger songs on the album. My favorite is the one that begins "Do you realize you have the most beautiful face..." which is the first song on the version I have. The only track I didn't like was the one that has the Japanese girl screaming and the crowd cheering.

That would be "Do You Realize??" and "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots Part 2." In that order.

The album's really growing on me. I listened to it about eight times today and really think it's one of the better releases this year. Not as good as The Soft Bulletin, I don't think, but still really stellar.

Guest LooseCannon

Thanks for the song titles. Yeah it is a really good album. I listened to it over and over again for like two weeks when I first heard it. And then I got a little tired of it, for a little while. But, honestly I'm starting to rank it right up there with The Soft Bulletin. I still like The Soft Bulletin better, but I think if Yoshimi... had come first, I might've liked The Soft Bulletin less.

Anyway, I did some research and found the track order to my version on pitchfork:

01 Do You Realize

02 Are You a Hypnotist

03 Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots

04 Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, Part 2

05 Funeral in My Head

06 Up Above the Daily Hum

07 Fight Test (Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, Part 3)

08 Sympathy 3000-21

09 One More Robot

10 Ego-Tripping at the Gates of Hell

11 In the Morning of the Magicians

12 It's Summertime

13 All We Have Is Now

14 Approaching Pavonis Mons by Balloon (Utopia Planitia)

I know the end result has 11 songs, so I guess "Funeral in My Head" and "Up above the Daily Hum" were merged with other tracks, probably "Yoshimi...part 2," and "Fight Test" respectively.

But looking at the track order at amazon, I can say the concept is quite a bit different than what I was envisioning.