TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest pinnacleofallthingsmanly

Music Videos

I am a fan of Busta Rhymes and Michael Jackson. I like the way Busta Rhymes has more or less eschewed the scantily clad women videos and makes videos that are entertaining videos. I like the way he uses old movies from the 80s in a comical way. The last video he made uses Harlem Nights. I want to see him make a video where everybody is dancing like in the Cosby Show opening credits. That would be some funny stuff.

Guest CoreyLazarus416

Michael Jackson has the best videos, hands-down. Fuck all who think otherwise.

Guest dreamer420

Eminem has created some decent videos from his last album.

Foo Fighters "Learn To Fly" is the best ever though.

Guest TheyCallMeMark

We don't need to get that off track.

I am not one to spoil a good thread.

Or even this thread, for that matter.

I have never seen a music video that improved the listening experiance for me, except one. That's "November Rain" and the only part of that which really does anything for me beyond the song itself is Slash soloing in front of the church.

Guest Midnight Express83

Michael Jackson, Busta Rhymes, and Puffy have all made videos that changed the way Videos were made. Buy November Rain and Take on Me are two great videos.

Guest Kinetic

Michael Jackson videos were great once, until he decided that all of them had to be at least fifteen minutes long.  It worked once with "Thriller," but it's all been shit ever since.  

My personal favorite videos are mostly Radiohead.  "Just" is absolutely awesome and probably my personal favorite of all time.  "Paranoid Android", "Karma Police", "No Surprises", "Fake Plastic Trees", and the "Pulp Fiction"-esque version of "High and Dry" are all choice selections.  "Pyramid Song" was all right, but "Knives Out" was what one might refer to as BONZO GONZO, if one were so inclined.

As far as directors are concerned, no one is as consistently brilliant as Spike Jonze.  The "Buddy Holly" video will always have a place in my heart.

Guest Flyin' Squirrel

It's too bad they never get played, but Primus could always be counted on for a great video. "John The Fisherman", "My Name is Mud", "Mr. Krinkle", "Wynona's Big Brown Beaver" (it's all about the 'Duracell' suits), the list goes on. It's too bad that, collectively, they've been played about two dozen times on MuchMusic. Only "Beaver" got halfway decent airtime.

There are a lot of videos that I like, but I still think MJ has made the best videos hands down. My favorite all time video is Smooth Criminal. Watching MJ is like watching a magic show.

Guest Kinetic

Or a freak show.  Have you seen any pictures of the reunited Jackson Five at this point?  Everyone else looks relatively normal, which only serves to make Michael look even more gruesome.

Guest Anorak

Sabotage by the Beastie Boys is a classic video. Any video with some humour in beats a pompous or self-important one (eg. November Rain). A lot of Rap & R 'N' b acts need to get more original and less cliched videos and stamp their own authority on them like Busta Rhymes and Outkast.

Guest Kinetic

Yes.  The plague of Hype Williams Syndrome has destroyed rap videos.  It's all Bentleys, champagne, and ho's.

Guest Mr. Adam

Since "Buddy Holly" was already talked about, I'll put in a vote for any Fatboy Slim video but especially the one for "Praise you". That is just the simplest concept for a video while simultaneously being the most ludicrous. Spike Jonze being the front man for the group just makes it that much cooler.

Hey! I got some more B Boy moves for you guys! C'mon, look at my B Boy moves!

Guest The Man in Blak

/\/ine Inch \/\ails.

After that, I'd say Fatboy Slim, Radiohead, and Weezer (SUMO~!), but scratch MJ - he may have essentially defined the storytelling elements of the music video, but since Thriller, he's been very inconsistent.  For every Smooth Criminal or Black & White, there's a Remember the Time, Bad, or, recently, Ghosts.

Guest thevertex

Older Smashing Pumpkins videos are very good. Marilyn Manson always has good videos and is definately a part of any top 10 list. And you can't go wrong with STP as long as Weiland was on drugs.

Guest Kinetic

I forgot to mention it earlier, but the video for Blur's "Coffee and TV" is fantastic.  It follows the adventures of a lost anthropomorphic milk carton.  How could you go wrong?

Guest shlidgn90

my favorite videos were made by bjork and michael jackson. next to mj's old five minute classics, bjorks videos like "it's oh so quiet," and her video from the tank girl soundtrack(forgot name of song) was uber cool.

Guest MikeSharp12

Triumph by the Clan is the best video ever.  Everything was original about it, from Deck rapping while standing on the side of a building, to RZA rapping from jail (with wings that were made of a Wu symbol)... great, great shit.

Guest Kinetic

The Bjork video you're referring to (from Tank Girl) is "Army of Me."  And it is good.

Guest Kinetic

Ever read the book that a lot of that footage was based on?  It's called "Johnny Got His Gun" and IT WILL DEVOUR YOU WHOLE.

Guest Brush with Greatness

Spike Jonze makes the best music videos.

Buddy Holly

Sabotage

Da Funk

Praise You

Four of the best videos of all time.  Throw in the Bjork one if your a Bjork fan.

Guest saturnmark4life
It's too bad they never get played, but Primus could always be counted on for a great video. "John The Fisherman", "My Name is Mud", "Mr. Krinkle", "Wynona's Big Brown Beaver" (it's all about the 'Duracell' suits), the list goes on. It's too bad that, collectively, they've been played about two dozen times on MuchMusic. Only "Beaver" got halfway decent airtime.

Primus are pretty much my favourite band ever, Wynona's vid is fantastic but it's the only one I've ever seen. I like Rammstein's videos for Ich Will and Sonne and The Hives' vids off the new album.

Guest the Goon

some good ones:

Eels - "novocaine for the soul", "rags to rags", "last stop this town"

White Stripes - "fell in love with a girl" (animated in lego!)

Avalanches - "Frontier Psychiatrist"

most of the Smashing Pumpkins videos (esp. "33" and "Try Try Try"), radiohead, primus, tool, bjork (especially "bachelorette")

Mr Oizo - "Flat beat" (remember, the puppet headbanging?)

Metallica "hero of the day"

Weezer "buddy holly", hell anything directed by Spike Jonze

several Marilyn Manson videos, and a few of the NIN videos

Gandharvas "last day of spring"

David Bowie "little wonder"

Nirvana "heart shaped box", "in bloom"

Sepultura "ratamahatta" (another tool-ish stop motion vid)

Voivod "ants", "astronomy domine"