TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Downhome

Jerry Jarrett realizes the obvious...

Guest Downhome

Is it just me, or is this the most obvious news report in the history of Pro. Wrestling, from Dave Meltzer...

"Jerry Jarrett has apparantly realised that doing PPV without a TV deal isn't generating the fan base needed to support the company, so NWA-TNA may be looking for a TV deal."

...I mean, really, what is this? :D :o :D

Sincerely

...Downhome...

Guest Edwin MacPhisto

Heh...at least they're actively searching.

God, I hope someone like USA picks them up.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

Time to start that letter writing campaign.

With this product...I have no doubt that the company could break out with a TV deal.

Jesus...can you imagine getting X division on USA?

Oh boy.

Want now.

Guest Downhome

Seriously though, that report would be like seeing, "this just in, WWE RAW will be on monday night", I just laughed my ass off when I just read it.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

Hey...JJ senior took a shot at something different.

Business is down...and he couldn't find a big enough audience to get his idea to work right away.

But he must realize that his product is actually pretty damn good.

Free TV is the answer.

Please God...give me TNA on free tv...

Guest Downhome
Hey...JJ senior took a shot at something different.

Business is down...and he couldn't find a big enough audience to get his idea to work right away.

But he must realize that his product is actually pretty damn good.

Free TV is the answer.

Please God...give me TNA on free tv...

I wonder if when they get TV if their free TV program will be the quality of the current PPV's and then the PPV's will improve that much more, or if they'll give us for free a lower quality product, and keep the PPV's the same.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

Since they are a startup...and need to catch on.

I would guess that they would use TV like they do the ppv show at first.

If they got a deal...they'd need to impress people.

I can almost guarantee that week 1 would feature a 4 or 6 man X division match to get a buzz around them.

That's where the buzz for the ppv show started too.

If they got a TV deal...I would think they would redo their ppv plan as well.

A weekly ppv when you can already watch a weekly show for free wouldn't work well either.

I'd like to see them do a ppv every other month with real good storyline developments from the TV show.

That would probably be the most efficent strategy to start with...until they got a bigger following.

Guest Downhome
Since they are a startup...and need to catch on.

I would guess that they would use TV like they do the ppv show at first.

If they got a deal...they'd need to impress people.

I can almost guarantee that week 1 would feature a 4 or 6 man X division match to get a buzz around them.

That's where the buzz for the ppv show started too.

If they got a TV deal...I would think they would redo their ppv plan as well.

A weekly ppv when you can already watch a weekly show for free wouldn't work well either.

I'd like to see them do a ppv every other month with real good storyline developments from the TV show.

That would probably be the most efficent strategy to start with...until they got a bigger following.

If they want this to work, that is exactly what they will do. I guess we'll have to wait and see for now though!

Guest Jobber of the Week

I think they should do a free TV show one week and a PPV the other week. Keep championship matches and "suprises" on PPV, while putting buildup matches and wrestling matches on free TV, also keep some room for guys that the public can recognize (like Scott Hall, like him or hate him.)

I don't think this is THE most obvious report in history though. That will be when Jerry starts considering whether Russo is actually helping or degrading the product.

Guest J*ingus

Right now, any NWATNA show will probably end up being a mirror image of Jakked: a few jobber matches and a lot of highlights and recaps.

Guest WWF4Life

They've got no chance of a TV deal. What network would bother with a wrestling show when business in general is down? What mainstream stars have they got that would appeal to casual fans? Would their current fanbase be pissed that the PPV idea was canned after supporting them for months?

It's not going to happen, regardless of how many letters or petitions are produced.

Guest Nezbyte

Lets hope. Ive only seen what i can download and id really be happy if USA or Fox picked them up.

Guest SuperTonyJaymz

Doesnt Ted Turner have more power in his company now? He didn't want to give up WCW, he is a big wrestling fan... Jerry should give him a call.

Guest Jobber of the Week
Doesnt Ted Turner have more power in his company now?

No, AOLTimeWarner is losing money and going through restructuring, but if they're smart they won't boost Turner any. The guy actually made a comment infering that the 9/11 hijackers were heroes to die for their cause, and that blew up in his face real good.

I'd say he's just a figure nowadays.

Guest SuperTonyJaymz

Poor Teddy. Unlike most of execs, he actually was a wrestling fan, and actually worked hard to make the fans happy. Too bad he messed up.

yeah, the mouth of the south strkes again huh

Guest Your Olympic Hero

What simulator was that pic from, Jobber of the Week?

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

I would like to think that there is one TV exec who can look at Wrestling ratings and realize that what goes down must come up.

And that even the low rated wrestling shows top several networks.

If USA picked up NWATNA...how many shows on their lineup are going to beat it?

Monk? Get real.

Guest Tony149

Wrestling has always been a soild ratings draw. Just look back in the '80s/early '90s. Wrestling helped build cable TV much like they helped TV in the '50s.

Like Bps said and what a company like USA knows....you have a soild ratings draw that could produce huge numbers at any given time.

I'll make a bold prediction: if NWA: TNA ever got a cable TV deal...their first rating would be in the high 2's maybe low 3's.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

I agree with that assesment.

The combination of people who want to see it but will not or cannont order...and the people who will watch the first show just because they saw a commercial will lead to a big first week #.

Well...big for a start up anyway.

Guest TheyCallMeMark

I hope Fox picks them up... because I can't afford cable.