TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest bps "The Truth" 21

bps21's official NWA TNA week 6 preview

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

We begin with a note from Dave Meltzer:

“This is a pivotal week, and even more next week. If the look of the show comes across good enough and the wrestling comes through, they've made so many budget cuts that their break-even is not unmanageable. However, they have to maintain the audience they have because if it looks cheap and they lose audience in the process, it'll be tough. Based on what I've been told, the cuts are so significant that unless they tank, the losses wouldn't be out of hand. Changes include far less fly-ins, I believe no managers on this show, fewer TNA girls and no pyro, plus the move to the Fairgrounds in Nashville which is a major money saver.”

Let’s break that down.

Less fly-ins…that doesn’t affect me.

No Managers…I can live without the ones they have

Less TNA girls…good…give Russo less smut to work with

No Pyro…Oh well…I watch for wrestling not fireworks.

So the stuff they are saving money on so far…doesn’t affect my enjoyment of the product.

The big question will be how this all comes off in the new smaller arena. I know that the TNA guys have been working hard on getting the place ready…and it could result in a nice feel to the place. This element is the one that I would think could most adversely affect the company.

However, if these small concessions save the money needed for TNA to be able to hold out until they either catch on or get a TV deal…than I for one am all for it.

Regardless of how big the arena…or the lack of pyros…it still comes down in the end to Low-Ki vs. Red…IN A WRESTLING RING.

I almost look at this as a Godsend…as with the limited resources…Russo will have to concentrate on the in ring product…and then the fans win.

So…expect a new slimmed down look…but it’s all for the greater good of ensuring the companies further existence.

Some people will undoubtedly scoff at this and say “This is going to look so bush league” or what have you.

I look at it the opposite. I think it’s refreshing to see a company spend less money and try to refine the product they sell…instead of throwing more money at the problem and going out of business.

Jerry Jarrett is above all else…a businessman. And I think this is good business for right now.

Anyway…on with this weeks preview.

I’ll make a bet we don’t see any midgets or women’s matches this week.

Live and learn, Russo…Live and learn.

All right…I have not seen the first and third week of TNA (which bothers me so I’ll have to find a trader to buy them from just to have the complete collection of TNA history).

Why do I mention this? Because there are two people competing on this weeks show that I have NEVER personally seen compete before.

The first is Red who is making his NWA TNA debut…and the other is former pro football player Monty Brown, who wrestled on week 3’s TNA show (Which as I said…I missed).

I’ve heard a good deal about Red and from what I can gather from the posters on this board (and Meltzer who seems to cream himself at the mention of Red’s name) we could be in for a treat. A spotty treat…but a treat nonetheless.

Anyway…anyone who has seen week 3 and Monty Brown, or seen Red…if you could post your thoughts on them in this thread…I’d appreciate it.

Five matches and one angle announced for this week.

The angle is a sit down interview with Jerry Lynn and AJ Styles. I have made no bones about how much I love the Lynn/Styles feud up to this point…and I don’t expect to be let down this week.

There are so many ways that they can take this Lynn/Styles feud that I couldn’t even begin to speculate. Everything they have done this far has ranged from logical, to brutal, to fascinating…but it has always been entertaining.

I’d have to say my favorite thing about this feud so far is that…when you think about it…there is no clear-cut bad guy.

You have Jerry Lynn…a 14-year veteran who feels that Styles is trying to show him up.

And you have Styles…a somewhat brash young competitor who seems to like the spotlight a little too much.

It seems like Lynn is the heel…but I think this feud is a perfect example of Foley’s theory that the heel should always feel that what he is doing is justified.

I’ll refrain from further speculation on this angle…because it is the one angle in all of North American wrestling that makes me want to shut up and watch.

Matches:

Chris Harris and James Storm vs. Elix Skipper and Monty Brown

Harris and Storm are basically two singles wrestlers who probably would not have amounted to much on their own…even in TNA. So they were given an angle that would throw them into tag competition…and you know what…it worked.

No…they aren’t great. But they are solid. And they have potential. When last seen…Harris and Storm defeated the Johnsons in the tag title tournament…but were jumped backstage before they could compete in the finals (Thus allowing for Styles and Lynn to win the tag titles). It is still unknown who jumped them.

Elix Skipper we all know and love. Why he is teamed with Monty Brown…I couldn’t tell you. If I had to guess…I’d say Christopher Daniels couldn’t make it…as they teamed last week.

Monty Brown is a former football player…who will be making his second appearance with TNA this week. I haven’t seen him…and I hear his first match was very short. I would guess he is very green…and that Skipper will be doing most of the work (not a bad thing). Maybe we’ll get an illogical Russo serve setting up Skipper vs. Brown next week. Hmm…that sounds like it’s going to happen now…

Russo swerve aside…I don’t know…When Skipper is in it should be entertaining…and tag matches shouldn’t expose how green Brown is. So…I’d say a 6-7 minute basic tag formula match with Skipper hitting some impressive moves along the way.

Brian Lawler vs. Apolo

I dig Lawler’s heel turn. I dig Apolo’s look. But I don’t think they’ll be able to do anything special.

Lawler is a sound solid performer…but he can’t shake the WWE style after all this time…so you pretty much know what you’re getting when you have him in a match.

Apolo looks like he should have it all…but his one match I’ve ever seen (week 2 vs. David Young) was not very impressive. Perhaps it was an off night for both guys…as Young had a good match (so I hear) with Styles in week 3. Good for him…now it’s Apolo’s turn to do something. The guy looks like a star to me…he has to deliver like one now.

If he can…this could be a pretty good contest…although I don’t see it getting more than 6 or 7 minutes.

Low-Ki vs. Red

I know some people are looking forward to this more than anything else.

But I haven’t seen Red…so I’m looking forward to it for that reason.

All I know is Meltzer is very high on this match…because they have had great ones before.

It’s an X match…so it should get some decent time.

Sabu vs. Ken Shamrock

Sabu debuted last week in a ladder match against Malice for the #1 contender spot. He gets his title shot this week. The match is ladder and submission rules. Basically this means that the title can be won by climbing the ladder and grabbing the belt…or by making your opponent tap.

I figure the ladder is in there so that Sabu can spot off of it…and to give him a more believable chance of winning. This could play perfectly into the new angry Ken Shamrock that we saw in the interview last week. I’d like to see angry Ken Shamrock destroying Sabu with and off of the ladder…who wouldn’t?

Something about this match intrigues me…but I couldn’t tell you what it is. Part of it might be that this is one match-up that I never considered what it would be like on any level.

In a match like this…there is a very basic storyline that I would like it to follow. Remember Mind Games? When Foley was busting out wrestling holds and maneuvers…and HBK was hitting the high risk offense and dishing out the more brutal moves? That’s one thing I like that you never see anymore…a reversal of roles.

That being said…no chance of that happening here…as Sabu going for submission holds would likely make my head explode.

What I’d expect is a match given a good of time, some patented Sabu spots…and some Shamrock violence adding up to an entertaining possible train wreck.

AJ Styles and Jerry Lynn vs. Jorge Estrada and Sonny Siaki

THREE STORYLINES…ONE MATCH!

Storyline 1: As part of the Flying Elvises, Estrada and Siaki are waging war on the X division that they have been excluded from. Styles and Lynn are the embodiment of the X division.

Storyline 2: Last week Sonny Siaki began to show his disdain for his tag partner…and started to put himself over more than the Elvises. He left Estrada to get a beat down from the Dupps…and seems like he doesn’t like anyone but himself.

Storyline 3: Duh. Lynn/Styles. Feud. Of. The. Year.

It’s almost a case of which team will self-destruct first.

The storyline going in is top notch…expect this match to be given ample time to unfold…and it could result in a **** match.

Sounds good to me.

Expect 1 or 2 more matches to find there way onto the card.

People that should be around are:

Jeff Jarrett: He has to wrestle again sooner or later…but I’m betting later as a match with him in it likely would have been announced. He’ll probably be in an angle with Hall, furthering that feud.

Scott Hall: Not to wrestle…but he could be around to brawl with JJ.

K-Krush: Finds his way onto the card every week. Perhaps Norman Smiley will be looking for revenge…or maybe they’ll give him a promo or an angle…or a night off.

Blue Meanie: Debuted last week. Now would be a good time for his wrestling debut.

Malice: Hasn’t missed a week yet…will probably be there to destroy someone.

The Dupps: Also around all the time. Could be in an added match…or just to make fun of Goldylocks again.

The card looks solid with potential good/great matches in Low-Ki/Red and Lynn & Styles vs. the Elvises. If those two live up to hype, and Sabu/Shamrock and Apolo/Lawler are solid…it looks like 10 bucks well spent.

Guest J*ingus

A few of my own points.

The Venue: the Fairgrounds sports arena is about twice the size of the ECW arena, and you can cram up to maybe 2,000 people in there. It will probably look better than the bingo hall on camera, since the way the room is constructed the hard camera will be facing some HUGE bleachers that stretch way up to the ceiling.

Papering: the deluge of free NWA-TNA ticket passes that swept over Nashville for the past month has dropped down to the tiniest of trickles this week. Offhand, I'd say they were getting about a thousand paid each week, and a thousand people can fill up the seats in the Fairgrounds well enough.

Red: trained by Mikey Whipwreck, and it shows. Spot-fu machine, but that's not an insult, he's very good at it. He is a small guy though, about the same size as Rey Rey, and his charisma isn't where it could be.

Chris Harris and James Storm: these two men put on the best singles match that I've ever seen at the Fairgrounds a few months ago at a USA show. They're very good.

Sabu: does sometimes actually get down & wrestle when he feels like it. He's got the mat skills; he'd just rather do the insane spots, as that's what makes him money.

Shamrock: this match will be the test of just how committed he is to the NWA. Let's see if he takes the bumps or not.

Also, NWA Wildside wrestler Jeremy Lopez is set to wrestle a dark match against Memphis wrestler Kevin White, which should be pretty good.

Guest eiker_ir

i hope that with the change of the arena and lack of pyros and stuff, they don't look too amateurishhh or bad,´'cuz i think that a good presentation is important now that they're starting. and i liked their look, it reminded me of WCW around 97-98

:D

Guest Nezbyte

Red v. Ki will own. Give them 10-15 and it will be a awesome spot match. Red will do anything to get over. Much in the vein of ECW RVD minus all the fucking stalling.

Guest Tony149

Meltzer said in his Tuesday Obersever update on his site that Jeff Jarrett will vow to take the NWA Title and K-Krush will do an intervew about management holding him back.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

On top of what Tony added...I have found the following:

"Both Simon Diamond and Johnny Swinger will be appearing on the NWA TNA Pay Per View event tomorrow. It is not known at this time what role they will play but it is expected that they will reform their Tag Team from ECW.

- Jimmy Yang will also be appearing on the show tomorrow as he has returned from his All Japan tour. The last time Yang appeared in the NWA TNA was when he joined The Flying Elvises (Sonny Siaki & Jorge Estrada) in a 6-Man Tag Team Match to take on A.J. Styles, Low-Ki and Jerry Lynn during the debut edition of NWA TNA on June 19th."

Guest Dangerous A

Ki and Red have had a bunch of indy showdowns and know each other. If given ample time and no fucktards fighting in the stands in the middle of the match, the 2 of them should be just fine. BTW, Red looks to be all of 10 years old. Spot machine, but if they hit, could be a keeper in NWA-TNA

Guest GoldustandBooker4Life

Red's an amazing wrestler.. I saw him at an indy show a few weeks ago (QWA), when he and Mikey Whipwreck faced up against the SAT (I got Whipwreck's hat that he threw into the crowd!!!) It was Mikey's comeback match (One Night Only), and was actually a pretty decent match. The greatest spot was when Red dived off a 20 foot ladder through a table when Jose (Or was it Joel.. not sure) rolled off the table.. Red's definately got talent, and he'll be GREAT in the NWA TNA X division

Guest AxelSmash

Shut up about your Whipwreck hat. Does anyone give a damn you stole it from a 80 year old woman that it was given to? Just sell it, or frame it, or shut up with it and ge ton to your next "big moment".

Guest Vyce

Russo better not screw things up.

Cause otherwise, this show could be GOLD.

Guest Zack Malibu

With Yang on the show, I'm interested to see how the interaction between all three Elvises plays out.

Diamond and Swinger are great, and Diamond especially could wind up worthy of a top heel spot in the company. They're also a welcome addition to the tag ranks.

I'm interested to see how Jarrett will apparently leave the arena with the title. I'd venture to say he'd interfere, cause a sick bump, then climb the ladder and steal the belt.

Also, this is week 1 of the Sanders watch...how many will it take for him to show?

Guest converge241

Im not ordering the live show, but will order sundays airing with positve views from people here.

Last week's show makes me wary.

I hope Simon/Swinger get the tag belts at some point.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

My understanding of the Sanders situation is:

1. When he was cut he received a 3 month severence pay. Part of that deal is he cannont wrestle anywhere else for those 3 months.

2. TNA will have a spot for him as soon as he is able to go.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

4 hours away from the start of the Red vs. Low-Ki match.

BPS is PUMPED!!!!