TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jobber of the Week

Low-Ki developing a bad reputation

Guest Jobber of the Week

Stolen from 411, who stole it from Torch:

Low Ki is getting a reputation for having very stiff kicks in the ring, and it is causing some problems in the NWA:TNA X Division.

Low Ki, who is among the most over of the X Division wrestlers with the live crowd, is known for being stiff with his arsenal of kicks.

Some have expressed concern with working with him in the ring, and others who have worked with him so far will be reluctant to work with him again.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

hmmm...

I wouldn't want him to kick me.

For the most part his kicks are to the chest, with his opponent readying himself for the impact...

But I've seen him get in a couple shots to the throat (against Styles and Lynn...both in the week 2 title match IIRC) that looked pretty sick.

I wouldn't be surprised that people wouldn't want to work with him...and it would be worse if he hadn't worked with so many of the X guys before.

Could you imagine if they tried putting him against Hall or someone? He'd kill them.

Guest TheDames7

He's had this rep for a while, but guys like Daniels and Am Dragon still work with the guy.

He CAN pull his kicks, because I've seen him do it in a match with Sabu.

Oh, and the kick to the throat that he gave AJ in Week 2 made me CRINGE.

Dames

Guest J*ingus

I've never been Ki's biggest fan, and this is one of my main reasons. I just think that wrestlers put their bodies through enough shit already without guys like Low-Ki kicking them as hard as they possibly can, with no protection whatsoever. Look at Tajiri: he does the exact same stuff without killing anyone.

Guest TheDames7

I also believe in Bret Hart's motto: Wrestling is an art form and it should LOOK as stiff as possible without being stiff.

Dames

Guest Nevermortal

PUSSIES! On the other hand, I'd also hate to be kicked by Low Ki.

But then again, that's his whole persona, if he takes the kicks out, what does he do? I think he'll have to invest in a good set of leather pants so he can do the TAJIRI & TEST SLAP~! on them.

Guest Nezbyte

This is my responce: Fucking, D'uh!

He's known for his ultra stiff strikes. That's his main schtick! Watch the Me fomr "An Era Of Honor Begins," him and AmDag kick the FUCK out of each other AND Daniels.

Guest J*ingus

But think about this: these are wrestlers, for god's sake. Low-Ki has only wrestled the guys in the X Division so far, so they're the only ones who could be complaining about him. And think about it this way: you think that guys like Jerry Lynn aren't used to being hit hard? For this kind of rep to develop, there has to be some insanely hard, completely unnecessary stiffness going on.

Guest Retro Rob

I've seen Low-Ki wrestle in various East Coast Indies for about a year and a half now. He has fought guys like Xavier, Scott Andrews, Chris Daniels, American Dragon A LOT. If he was THAT stiff, I doubt Xavier would have agreed to work 20 matches with him. Xavier is not signed to a contract with an Indie fed, so he could just flat out say no when asked to work with Low-Ki. Maybe Ki` has been wrestling a little stiffer than usual for PPV and to get himself recognized.

Guest CoreyLazarus416

Here's my stance on it:

He's stiffing you, so stiff him back. That way, you're sending the message to him that you can go stiff as well, and you're putting on a brutal match for the fans.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

That philosophy would be interesting to see in practice...

but if someone Red's size decided to give Low-Ki a stiff shot to send a message...

Low-Ki would kick his head into the third row.

Guest Dangerous A

CoreyLazerus hit it right on the head. Just give it back. Stop being pussies. If someome takes care of you, then take care of them back. If someone stiffs you, you stiff them the fuck back. This type of attitude would not be accepted in Japan. There, it's stiff or be stiffed. Which is not to say they are right or wrong, but it's a reciprocal thing.

Guest razazteca

maybe its time to have a Shamrock vs Low Ki ME in a Lions Den Cage!!!!

or get Dan Severn to shoot on Low Ki

Guest The Man in Blak

Well, while it's nice and easy to say "just stiff 'em back", there's also the increased possibility of injury and, if the workers aren't as disciplined, a huge-ass shoot breaking out...which is something that Jarrett, the owner of a company barely scrambling to put together PPVs, probably wants to avoid.

Guest Mindless_Aggression

You can't just stiff a guy like Low Ki back. Namely because he's gonna stiff you back and it's gonna probably be harder than anything you can throw at him. Like someone above said (yes i am to lazy to go look) Ki would kick a guy like Red's head into Don West's lap. Causing West to say "How about that!?"

On a side note, If Ki's killing guys this badly, I'd LOVE to see some of them go up against Kawada. They'd be dead 3 minutes in. Hell Ki would be dead 4 minutes in at tops.

Guest CoreyLazarus416

Well, you CAN always just lock him in a chokehold and whisper to him "stiff me again, I get you hear and don't let go."

Eye for an eye...

Either way, they should stop complaining. "Ow, he hurt me! I got a bruise!" I understand serious injury could occur, but until it does, stiff 'em away Ki.

Guest Youth N Asia

You know how stuff like this gets resolved...

Bobby Heenan told this on his RF video shoot interview.

Andre The Giant and Warrior were doing house show matches...And in a spot Warrior hit Andre with an ultra stiff clothesline...Andre told him to tone it down...next match, same spot, Warrior hits him just as hard, Andre told him to tone it down...Next match, same spot...Warriors charging Andre ready to throw a killer clothesline, Andre throws out his fist and blasts him in the mouth..

Next match, same spot...Warriors throws a softer clothesline...Andre looks over at Bobby and says "He's learning"

Guest J*ingus

Yeah, not everyone has seven feet and five hundred pounds of bulk behind their punch.

On the other hand, who else would love to see a Lo-Ki vs. Hashimoto match?

Guest RickyB

I'll put a "very inexpirianced indie worker" view on this (since that's what I am!). (BTW i've just got back from Nottingham where i've worked a match, so i'm tired. If anyone was at the show then tell me what you thought of my match)

I've been stiffed a few times, and i've accidently stiffed people a few times. But the fact is, no matter who you are or who you are facing, you shouldn't expect to be stiffed. Maybe once or twice a match you can expect the odd puch to go astray or a kick to catch you a bit stiffer than usual - but you expect the guy to try and protect you.

I'll give you an example of my own to see if you guys understand why they are complaining:

I had probably the biggest match of my carrer so far with EWW (Engilsh Wrestling Warfare) a month ago. I was facing Mr C (a guy I trained with) in the opening match to sort of prove myself to them in the hope that they might use me again in the future. Mr C was in the same position as me and we both wanted to put on a good show so that they would want to use us again. We both ran over the match and since he used a lot of kicks and punches between his highspots I had to expect the odd one of two to go astray. So we went out, i'm obviously not going to go over the whole match. But the fact was that he was trying to get noticed. Fans pop at brutal shots and that's a fact. But it wasn't exactly a good expiriance for me when I got nailed full force in the face with a completely unprotected Superkick (I didn't put my hands up to block it because I trusted him to pull it, but he didn't), or when I was stiffed right in the face with a clothesline stiffer than the stiffest Bradshaw "Clothesline from Hell" that you've ever seen.

The point is, that whenever I get in the ring I know that i'm going to get hurt anyway, anyone who's bumped around a ring will tell you that. But I don't expect to leave the ring with a big headache and know that my head is going to hurt like hell tommorow because someone stiffed me with his kicks to make the match "look brutal". And, this isn't the same for the TNA guys, but I have work the next day - I can't go into work with a throbbing headache from the match the night before ;)!

But my point is that the guys who have to work with Low-Ki have every right to complain about his stiff kicks because they didn't go into the match expecting Low-Ki to intentionally hurt them. And trust me, getting an unprotected kick to the head isn't plesant. I'm not sure if their is anything that I can compare it to so that you can understand what I mean, but if you've ever walked into a lampost at a fast speed then you'll know what I mean!!

Wrestling is hard enough without people actually trying to hurt you.

Guest The Notorious CRD

I find Low Ki extremely entertaining but he's got to play nice with everyone else if he wants to get anywhere in this business. I really don't think he'll be worse off for it since RVD had the same problem upon entering WWE but was able to get it together without losing a bit of watchability.

Guest Mindless_Aggression

Low Ki and RVD's kicks are 2 completely different animals if you ask me. RVD doesn't kick you hard really, he just occasionaly misfires where he's aiming and blood results. Ki could probably draw blood from your chest if he really wanted to, he kicks that damn hard. I personally think he should just run to Japan, no one here is gonna be able to handle the man on a consistent basis, over there, they'll love him, fans and workers alike.

Guest Just call me Dan

Isn't Rick Steiner part of the NWA:TNA roster? Problem solved.

Guest RavishingRickRudo

Low Ki rules. Watch his matches vs. Homicide, they are STIFF AS FUCK. Low ki drills homicide, Homicide fires back. There is a difference between being recklessly stiff and knowing each others limits. If someone is complaining because the kicks hurt, well guess what? It's wrestling! Not ballet! Now, if they were complaining because they are getting injured and are not able to perform because of them, then thats a different story. I haven't heard of Low Ki putting anyone in the hospital with his kicks.

Guest TheDames7
Low Ki rules. Watch his matches vs. Homicide, they are STIFF AS FUCK. Low ki drills homicide, Homicide fires back. There is a difference between being recklessly stiff and knowing each others limits. If someone is complaining because the kicks hurt, well guess what? It's wrestling! Not ballet! Now, if they were complaining because they are getting injured and are not able to perform because of them, then thats a different story. I haven't heard of Low Ki putting anyone in the hospital with his kicks.

Oh man, i saw a Homocide - Low-Ki match at USA Pro in the Elks Lodge last year. SHIT, that was stiff. I'll never forget this one series....

Homocide is on the outside, Low-Ki goes for a suicide dive through the ropes, but gets caught in the ropes....Low-Ki is VERY hard on himself when it comes to blown spots. Homocide slams him on the floor to cover....Low-Ki gets up as pissed off as I've ever seen anyone....and punches a hole into an open chair.

Homocide gave him a Cop Killer so quick and so stiff, I though 'Ki was hurt....man, that match was awesome.

Dames

Guest Youth N Asia

Low Ki and Homicide have had some great mactehes in Jersey All Pro Wrestling as well

I think they have a match on an June show of 2001...an indy classic

Guest TheDames7

The first Low-Ki match I ever witnessed was at an NAWA show in Mount Vernon against Xavier. Ever since that match, I've been a huge fan. His ladder match against Xavier at the June 30th, 2001 ICW show I'd put against any WWE ladder match. His matches with Am Dragon were spectular and the 3 way earlier this year at ROH is MOTY so far. If he's been having such great matches for so long, why is it that these kicks are an issue now?

*Just to show off*:

damesandlowki2.jpg

Dames

Guest TheDames7
Damn, Dames, is everyone but Rey Rey taller than you?!

I'm taller than Quiet Storm!

meandquietstorm.jpg

Dames