TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest La Parka Es Mi Papa

Best artists to leave a band's solo career

Who left a successful band, and went on to have the best solo career?

My personal vote is either John Lennon or Ozzy Osbourne.

Guest LooseCannon

George Harrison's solo career was arguably as good as Lennon's, and whatever you might think about him, Paul McCartney's was probably more successful then either measured commercially.

Guest Kinetic

I'd say Neil Young, too. His solo work has totally overshadowed everything he did beforehand.

Guest Cerebus The Aardvark

I concur with Neil Young, Ozzy, and Peter Gabriel.

Morrissey is a possibility as well, although in retrospect, everyone generally (well, the people I've discussed it with) dotes on The Smiths and abhors his solo work, but commercially he was more successful.

And how can you forget Bjork?

And Kinetic, I take exception to your sig. *I* was talking about bukkake long before bukkake was cool!

Guest Kinetic

*slaps forehead*

Yeah, Bjork too.

I don't recall ever reading anything you said about bukkake. If you did support bukkake before me, though, I salute you. The general sentiment around here seems to be really anti-bukkake.

I'm not changing my sig, though.

Out of curiousity for someone who knows jack shit about Bjork, what band was she in?

Guest CoreyLazarus416

Some foreign band...

I definitely cast my vote for Ozzy.

Although I also kind of like Bruce Dickinson's solo work more than most of Maiden's stuff...just better lyrics and more raw guitars.

Guest redbaron51

as a diehard Maiden fan...I never really cared for Bruce's solo stuff but then i never cared for Blaze Bailey's material when he was replaced by Bruce.

Guest godthedog
Out of curiousity for someone who knows jack shit about Bjork, what band was she in?

the sugarcubes, a group i'm willing to bet almost nobody on this board has heard anything by (including myself).

and what about michael jackson?

Guest Cerebus The Aardvark
the sugarcubes, a group i'm willing to bet almost nobody on this board has heard anything by (including myself).

I had 2 Sugarcubes albums...Life's Too Good and Here Today, Tomorrow, Next Week, but they were lost when I moved back in '97; I probably loaned them to someone and just never got them back. They weren't great by any means, but they were fun and interesting listens.

I don't recall ever reading anything you said about bukkake. If you did support bukkake before me, though, I salute you. The general sentiment around here seems to be really anti-bukkake.

Well, I did all of my bukkake diatribes/essays back on Delphi and then on the Smarks EZBoard, so unless you were around then, you haven't seen me say anything about it. However, I am very pro-bukkake, mainly because I find it absolutely fascinating, along with every other facet of Japan's sexual subculture (aside from scat, which is a bit much for me).

I'm not changing my sig, though.

Fair enough. Just respect your elders, my boy.

That is all.

Guest thefrenchargel

Successful: Ozzy.

My favorite: Down, although they're more of a side project...*thread inspiration*

Guest BifEverchad

I'll go with some different ones that werent already posted;

Aimee Mann

David Usher

Dr. Dre

uh....can't think.

:blink:

Guest goodhelmet

artistically, i think you could argue john lennon and neil young were quite successful at achieving cult-like status on their own merits.

commercially, there is no question that micheal jackson and paul mccartney were the most successful.

Guest nl5xsk1

The stuff I've heard from the Sugarcubes (or Bjork's solo stuff) is all very good, and I dig it, but it isn't something that I'd recommend listening to from the first song to the last, all in one sitting. It's best appreciated if you have a bunch of cd's (or mp3's) on shuffle, so you hear a song here and a song there. Then, their music is quite good. Otherwise it tends to be a little "epic" for my tastes.

For the original question, I think that if we refer to the best in terms of being a financial and artistic success, I'd have to say Sting, who's made a ton of cash since the Police disbanded.

Guest Sebastian_the_Bastard

Chris Carrabba leaving Further Seems Forever and creating Dashboard Confessional.

I love you all!!!,

Sebastian the Bastard