TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest nikowwf

Bad Signs abound....

Guest nikowwf

This NWA lawsuit is bad.

This is not a company with unlimited funds. If it looks like they are going after the WWE as well (and they will, as for some reason weekly ppvs is not looked at as the problem, but PPV marketing is) then they will have a big cash drain on their hands, at a time when they need cash for the show.

This is the beginning of the end. Im kind of sad, as the cruiserweight stuff finally had a forum for it.

Sayonara NWA.

I sincerely hope im wrong, but this situation looks extremely negative to me.

Nikoa

Guest Jobber of the Week

I think guys like the midgets and crap wrestlers like Lawler are going to be canned before NWA goes down the gutter.

Guys are currently being looked at for pickup (like Sanders and the other WWE firings), with no signs of anyone being released. When it starts to happen though, THEN you panic.

Guest Tony149

The guy TNA fired also works for WWE's PPV team. From what I've seen people write (I belive Jerry Jarrett has an audio interview on 1wrestling), WWE might have been spying on TNA because TNA's PPV marketing guy works for WWE's PPV marketing team (and have meetings, which McMahon attends) or some shit.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

That's fine...but I miss the part where this is going to kill the company.

Jerry Jarrett wouldn't sue if he didn't have the resources to do so. He's a businessman...he has a lawyer. And he must feel that someone is going to pay.

Why is it that 2 or 3 people only post in this forum to say that time is running out...hell...isn't everyone who voted 2 weeks in the TNA poll already wrong?

Guest RobJohnstone

imo, from reading interviews, jarrett seems like he knows the business, and has the money to back it up. Any guy who has the bucks to bankroll a fed like he is doing, probably has a big time lawyer as well. With new pickups often, I don't see any signs of nwa tna dropping off ther map soon. As far as i'm concerned every week they show a ppv, the company gets more credible. Just think in a year or 2 when they start to turn profit and can afford better production and stage props, how good the product will be. :)

--Rob

Guest Vyce

I wouldn't count on them closing yet.

They'll last AT LEAST another 10 weeks, IMO, even if things go very, very badly.

Guest El Satanico

Yeah this is way too early to start making claims that the end is near.

Jerry Jarret isn't a stupid man. He isn't going to get into a long expensive court battle if he isn't confident he can win. Sounds like Jarret has evidence that the guy lied to them so i doubt it would even be a long battle.

Guest oldschoolwrestling

They've done a really good job with no promotion. Now that they realized there was a problem with their marketing guy, they can hopefully increase (or start) marketing better, and things will get even better. They already started cutting back on expenses that weren't needed anyways (women, pyro) so they should be better off because of it.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

The Torch says this could be one of the biggest wrestling stories in years...depending on what the guys motivations were to apparently attempt to sabotage TNA.

If it turns out he was getting kickbacks from his other employers (Vince) things could get ugly...and TNA could get some phat cash.

Guest Chuck Woolery

Ditto.

Jerry Jarrett has been in this business for a long time. He knows it, I'd guess, like the back of his hand. But he's also a very shrewd businessman, and also somewhat stingy, I'd assume. So, the real question here is this:

If Jerry Jarrett didn't think he had above an eighty percent chance of actually winning this lawsuit, what are the odds he'd go through with it?

Answer: Slim to none.

Jerry knows what he's doing, kids. He's pretty sure that he's going to win this lawsuit, and he's pretty sure he's going to get enough money to make it worth what he spends now. Plus, as someone mentioned (RetroRob, I think), he's getting a ton of publicity out of this. To the casual wrestling fan, the question is this: Why would Vince McMahon fear NWATNA?

Answer: Tune in every Wednesday night at 8 PM EST to find out!

- Mike Van Siclen.

And that is what I said.

Guest nikowwf

Jerry's not suing Vince. He's suing this hassman guy.

And this lawsuit is a VERY bad sign for NWA/TNA. This was a break even proposal at best so far, which now added legal costs.

How that is anything but an awful thing for NWA is beyond me.

Niko

Guest Tony149

I still don't understand how this is a bad thing.

It appears Jerry has an excellent chance of winning this case. He'll probably end up winning some money out of this to, which could include legal cost being paid for by the other guy getting sued.

If anything this is a good thing. This probably gets out in the papers -- which gives TNA free pub, Jerry wins money (maybe even huge money if WWE is somehow involved), and TNA can start their new marketing push and expand their budget again.

Guest the pinjockey

This could be huge if Vince is found out to be involved because this would most likely bring him up on a bunch of antitrust lawsuits as well. A basic monopoly in an industry is found to have tried to prevent another company from being built is a big no-no. I can't imagine that Vince would actually leave this type of trail back to him if he is involved.

Guest nikowwf

its bad because the costs are upfront and the potential benefit is not.

do you want nwa to spend their money on talent and making their tv show or suing people? thats the decision they will face sooner rather than later.

thats why its a bad thing

niko

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

Call me crazy...but 'll take Jerry Jarretts many years as a successful businessman over the people on the board running around with yet another reason why the company is doomed.

Man...the fact that they are in week 7 must be pissing some of you people off.

Guest nikowwf

Tis Over was too strong. I was pissed at the news at the time.

But to behave as if a person has to think everything is peachy and rosy or they are anti NWA is inane.

They are worried about breaking even in costs. Along comes a lawsuit centered around a person giving them incorrectly high buyrates.

So they were working with higher costs than they could afford because of this. (You can see why they want to get this guy so badly.)

So lets summarize

Revenues are LOWER than they thought.

Expenses were too high for a few weeks because of it.

Lawsuit is additional expense.

Yes, this is a good thing. =P Please - this sucks. My pointing out this sucks has no bearing on my opinion of the product.

Niko

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

And what did they do in response?

They cut costs.

To the point where they aren't going to lose more money than they can handle.

If this were anyone else...they would have thrown more money at the problem and been out of business next week.

Jerry Jarrett knows what he is doing...and if he enters a lawsuit...he has a damn good reason for it.

The lawsuit in itself doesn't spell any kind of doom for the company...in fact...I think its a positive.

They found a problem. They eliminated it.

Guest eirejmcmahon

The cost cutting has led to a negative reaction to the look of the product.

Now the company has said that they're rejigging the venue again this week, so we'll see if they've managed to make themselves look a little less "small time" on Wednesday night.

Guest gthureson

I think the point that as trying to made is this:

NWA is launching a lawsuit that isn't against WWE, but names it. Thereby increasing the likelyhood that WWE will put money into the defence (though likely not their lawyers) not to try and win it, which is unlikely cause it looks like a solid case so far, but to drag it out as long as they can and bleed NWA out of money.

Jarret might have lots of his own money. But does he enough to soak a long court battle over which the outcome is uncertain (reward-wise), while NWA is losing money as well?

Remember, the USFL won their court case against the NFL. They got a whole dollar for their efforts.

Just cause you win, doesn't mean it'll be a windfall, and the expense of it might end up doing you in if you can't the wrasslin' show to turn a profit.

At least, I think thats what the point was. I could be wrong.

Guest RedJed

Would Jarrett even have bothered suing Hassman and Associates at this point if he didn't have the resources and funds to do so? Probably not.

Hell, they must have had a nice chunk of change to even start in getting the company up and running. I think they got their bases reasonably by moving into another building, and with only two hours a week of TV, they can let go many more useless folks and still keep it rolling if it comes to it.

They are under a contract with In Demand ppv for a year, so they are around for at least that long. If they back out before then, they owe them 30 thousand per week. So again, if this was a serious financial blow to the company long term, Jarrett would have realized this beforehand and not sued at this point due to financial concerns. I'm sure this exactly was what he was investigating, so to speak, in the last few weeks.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

I must say...

for a company that's going out of business...

they do more long term planning than the WWE does.

Guest Mindless_Aggression

I'm gonna have to agree that Jerry Jarret knows what he's doing and certainly isn't jumping into this blindly. However, I think it could still turn out ugly, as best stated by gthureson...

"NWA is launching a lawsuit that isn't against WWE, but names it. Thereby increasing the likelyhood that WWE will put money into the defence (though likely not their lawyers) not to try and win it, which is unlikely cause it looks like a solid case so far, but to drag it out as long as they can and bleed NWA out of money."

If the WWE is indeed named in some form or another, then a whole new can of worms is open. Say what you will about Vince, but he's a very smart businessman. He knows how to put people out of business and i'm quite sure he'd have no problem bleeding the NWA dry. No idea why he'd be involved in trying to ruin them in the first place though, they don't pose a threat at all...I like the product too, but they're still charging 10 bucks on PPV for what usually turns out to be a very good match, a good promo and a bunch of other stuff that is hit or miss.

But now i'm just rambling.