TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Snappy Nappy Dugout

TV Guide's 50 Greatest Cartoon Characters Of All T

Guest Ravenbomb

Space Ghost is holding down Brak. DAMN HIM!

I'm suprised Shrek itsn't on there. Not saying he should be, just suprised he isn't on a magazine list for top 50 cartoon characters.

And where the hell is Tetsuo?

Yeah, it was messed up. But I fixed it.

Guest Snappy Nappy Dugout

I Was watching cartoons last night(Yeah, Laugh at a 26 year old watching a cartoon). And behind Rocko, They also forgot one of the best damn shows of all time. That's right...... you know his name.....

doug.gif

DOUG!!!

They can put a fucking mouse on the list, but they can't put DOUG? Boy does TV Guide sucks.

Guest starvenger

>As for the one post I saw mentioning Optimus giving Magnus the matrix. Remember he just gave to him telling him that one day a robot would rise. So Magnus was really only a transitional champion until Hot Rod stepped up to the plate.

I do remember it, but Magnus LOST the Matrix to the Decepticons AND got blown apart. He was lucky that Hot Rod bailed his ass out.

That's all I'm gonna say about that - this thread isn't about the wussiest cartoon characters...

Guest El Satanico
DOUG!!!

They can put a fucking mouse on the list, but they can't put DOUG? Boy does TV Guide sucks.

Eh Doug was alright but i was never a fan. Which mouse do you bitch about there were about 3.

Guest EricMM

CLEARLY Daffy was the best Loony Tune. You can make claims of Porky being the oldest, or Bugs being the most famous, but Daffy was the BEST. He did everything bugs did better. Plus he played the heel.

Anyways in terms of great cartoons not on the list, I'd have to say, who knows that any of the animaniacs should be above fscking rugrats? Anyone? Anyone? Beuler?

Goodnight everybody!! ;)

Ehhhhhh... nevermind.

My name is Dot. Call me dotty and I'll kill you.

You remind me... of a very young scrappy doo.

Come on, maybe it was the right show at the right time for me, but I loved that show.

There was a skit about a teenage girl who self destructed every time she got emotional. HIJINKS!!!

Guest Retro Rob

I liked Doug and Rocko more than most of the characters on the list. BTW, Unwritten Religion, your sig. is starting scare me. Just 4 more days...

Guest What?

.....Bugs Bunny #1?

Wile E. Coyote needs to be #1...Daffy #2....

And where the shit are the X-Men?

HELLO?! GREATEST SATURDAY MORNING CARTOON SHOW OF THE 90's!!

Guest Gamengiri2002

Homer is a personal number one, he invented a word, that's class.

Daffy got screwed hard. Anyone can play the straight man, it's the sneaky, accident -prone, arrogant ones who have talent.

Tom and Jerry out of the top ten is criminal in more ways than I am currently emotionally prepared to deal with.

Optimus Prime shouldn't have gotten on because of his pathetic defeat in the Transformers movie. Megatron owns and always has owned Prime's sorry ass.

Batman and Superman are not cartoon characters, i excuse the X-men on this same thought.

Moe Sizlak got shafted, he would be my # 50.

And for christ sakes, I'd take Voltron over fucking Josie and the pussycats.

And if Bart is put with Lisa and Wile E. is with Roadrunner, than Alvin should be with Simon and Theodore.

Guest J*ingus
And if Bart is put with Lisa and Wile E. is with Roadrunner, than Alvin should be with Simon and Theodore.

Preach on, brother. It makes no sense why they keep together some groups, but then break up the fucking Chipmunks?!

But speaking as an actor, it's a LOT harder to play the straight Bugs role than it is to be a Daffy-style troublemaking scene-stealer.

Guest EricMM

Right but Jingus we aren't talking about which is harder to do, we are talking about who contributed more.

Daffy duck did it all in Cartoons. The face, the heel, the face who acted like a heel, he evolved as a character, and he was funnier than Bugs. HE WAS FUNNIER THAN BUGS.

My friend has said that all the best cartoons are from japan. But Daffy Duck, Bugs Bunny, and Elmer Fudd own the shit out of Gohan, Spike Spiegel, and even Ranma Saotome. Sez me.

I just wish. I just wish SOO hard that cartoons that good were as prevelant today. It seems a crime that people back then saw more in theatres than we do today.

Guest danielisthor

The list is bogus and made up by idiots at TV Guide. As much as i love Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck, there is no way in hell 18 other characters (actually more since most are doubled up) that should rank higher than Mickey Mouse. Just look at what the mouse basically has created. 4 theme parks around the world(counting Orlando as 1 even though there is MGM, Epcot, D World and ANimal Kingdom), they own ABC, ESPN, 2 broadway shows, thousands of stores throughout malls across america.

Anything that is currently running on Nick shouldn't even be on the list or considered except Ren and Stimpy and RugRats.

Scooby Doo only ranks 22nd. WTF.

Guest The Amazing Rando

My god...this list fucking sucks...

No Rocko, No DAVID THE GNOME~!, No Optimus or Starscream, no Snake Eyes, no ANY GI Joe, No MASK(though I didn't expect that), Bart and Lisa TOGETHER, Beavis and Butthead too high, Pikachu WAY TOO HIGH, Daffy getting jobbed out, Tom & Jerry not being in the top ten for revolutionizing cartoon violence...

More on the Daffy/Bugs conspiracy:

Daffy had many cartoons that I just loved....

The Scarlet Pumpernickel

Duck Dogers

Robin Hood

etc

All Bugs had was making (insert any of his enemies) look like a sap...

The 5 Main Disney characters...Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Pluto, and Goofy should be on that list...well maybe not Minnie or Pluto...but the others should have been....being a disney mark I can say that Mickey/Donald/Goofy were and still are the shit....bar none!

Speed Racer was too low...and some of the cult cartoon should have been on that list...

Hong Kong Phooey, Wacky Races, (I'm glad Underdog made it), etc...

and Scooby gets the nod (very nice...but lower than PIKACHU!), and Shaggy doesn't....

I think TV Guide is written by WWE writers or something....cause this list is more fucked up than the brand extension...

Guest El Satanico
The 5 Main Disney characters...Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Pluto, and Goofy should be on that list...well maybe not Minnie or Pluto...but the others should have been....being a disney mark I can say that Mickey/Donald/Goofy were and still are the shit....bar none!

Mickey and Donald are on the list. Minnie, Pluto and Goofy don't belong on the list.

Guest MrRant

I am just gonna state again...

WTF IS TOM AND JERRY #50?!?!? HOW IS SPUNGE BOB BETTER THAN THEM?

Guest The Amazing Rando

I just don't know Rant...I just don't know...

and I know that Donald and Mickey are...and for one, Donald is better than Mickey...and Goofy does belong on that list...because he is my favorite and I wanted to see him there...

Where is The Ambigously Gay Duo on the list?

Guest AlwaysPissedOff
Optimus Prime shouldn't have gotten on because of his pathetic defeat in the Transformers movie. Megatron owns and always has owned Prime's sorry ass.

SACRILIDGE!

Megatron, AT BEST, was the thrid best character on Transformers. Starscream fucking OWNED his ass! And Optimus Prime was THE AUTOBOT, no one else could live up to the legacy of Optimus and at least he didn't kicked out of Astrotrain like the vaunted Megatron did!

Okay... methinks I got carried away there... heh. Maniacal ranting aside, I don't understand why SpongeBob Dickhead made this list and no Transformers did. I can understand no G.I. Joes' making it because there was never really one Joe that they focused on as being the real leader(like at times it was Hawk, other times it's Duke, and other times it's Flint). Oddly enough, if ANYBODY was going to make it from G.I. Joe, it'd probably have been Cobra Commander or Destro(Serpentor sucked BALLS).

Guest El Satanico

:grabs one of apo's empty bottles and breaks the end off:

damnit stop disrespecting Mr. Squarepants

Don't make me cut cha foo!

Guest MrRant
:grabs one of apo's empty bottles and breaks the end off:

damnit stop disrespecting Mr. Squarepants

Don't make me cut cha foo!

::Grabs APO's other bottle"

Come and get your cuts beeyotch.

Guest El Satanico

beeyotch?

come agane?

I don't understand this foreign tongue of yours could you please translate.

Guest MrRant
beeyotch?

come agane?

I don't understand this foreign tongue of yours could you please translate.

beeyotch - slang

Little crying bitch

:P

Guest evenflowDDT
There was a skit about a teenage girl who self destructed every time she got emotional. HIJINKS!!!

Her name was Katie Kaboom, and even though I loved Animaniacs, I liked her and Chicken-boo the least because they were one-joke characters. Chicken-boo was all right sometimes, but Katie Kaboom screamed of plot rehash, so I wasn't a fan of her at all. Anyway, yea the Animaniacs should have made it somewhere on the list.

Now, even though I'm a huge Daffy fan, I have no outright problem with Bugs being #1, because he's the one most people associate with Warner Brothers, and he's their most popular character, and he's been a part of a lot of classic cartoons (including one of the greatest of all time [in my humble, biased opinion] "What's Opera, Doc?"). I DO, however, have a problem with Mickey Mouse not being #2. Mickey Mouse MADE AN EMPIRE... you don't get more influential than that. If it wasn't for him, Disney would still be making menstruation cartoons and bad episodes of "Wild Kingdom" instead of being one of the top animation forces in the world (yes, I realize the menstruation cartoons and "Wild Kingdom" came after Mickey Mouse, but if it weren't for Mickey the company would have no place other than those... unique... animations/shows).

Also, you talk about Daffy Duck being "held down", well how about another Duck that got screwed... DONALD? Donald Duck is in the 40's, despite being the second most popular Disney character ever. Surely they could've swapped him with Winnie the Pooh, at least...

Finally, here are my picks on who shouldn't be on the list, and why (I haven't thought of who should be on the list yet, which is funny because I've had the magazine all week):

05. The Grinch - "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" is indeed an animated classic (I own it on DVD! :)), but as someone said earlier, that's it. I don't think one movie, no matter how great, qualifies you, because if that were so, I'd clamor for the Iron Giant to be added to the list. However, I can almost let this one slide (although not as high) because the movie did debut on TV, and it was a big deal on TV back when it was first released and it aired every Christmas.

07. Angelica Pickles - I have no problem with "Rugrats" making the list, as much as I dislike the show (I always have), it helped make Klasky Csupo a viable studio, as opposed to a failing one that would just be hailed for cult classic series "Duckman". Also, the "Rugrats" style of animation can be seen in all other Klasky Csupo series' since on Nickelodeon, like "The Wild Thornberries" and "Rocket Power". However, Angelica isn't even necessarily a full character in most episodes so much as a simple plot device, the babies' main obstacle. If you're going to add someone from Rugrats, add someone with character, like the main character Tommy or Chuckie.

09. Spongebob Squarepants - One word: B.S., plain and simple. If this show weren't so mysteriously popular, it wouldn't be anywhere. It brings nothing new to the table in regards to animation or plot or character. It's like a watered-down "Ren & Stimpy" that tries to be funny, but never quite is. In a few years, when "Spongebob" fever dies down, it will leave nothing more than a small number of fans, and anyone else who picks up this list and reads it will say "Who?", which leads me to...

18. Top Cat - I actually don't mind Top Cat very much, but as far as Hanna Barbera characters go, there are many that are far more memorable and enjoyable (I was always a Snaggle Puss fan for some reason). Top Cat is pretty average as far as cartoon characters go, breaking no new ground, and not really popular any more.

21. Gerald McBoingBoing - Who? Yea, I know who he is, I've actually seen a couple of his cartoons. Gerald McBoingBoing must have been a nostalgic childhood favorite of one of the TV Guide listmakers, because, like Katie Kaboom and Chicken-boo of Animaniacs, he was a one-joke character. Oh my God, he makes noises instead of talking! That's hilarious! Oh, wait, no it isn't! The fact that his cartoons aren't even shown on television anymore (unlike the other characters on this list, who all are) shows how versatile he is...

32. Tom Terrific - Who? See McBoingBoing, Gerald.

Guest evenflowDDT

Hmmmm.... I just thought of someone who could be on the list. How about the Pink Panther? His cartoons had jazz scores and a style that seemed then and now to be pretty art-house in nature, and has never been duplicated to my knowledge.

Then again, in the end I must remember, it's TV Guide, who should only be used as a Guide for what's on TV (but they're not even good at that all the time anymore!).

Guest J*ingus

They're idiots, and their opinion doesn't matter. That's the only answer. Seeking further will only drive you mad.

Guest evenflowDDT
They're idiots, and their opinion doesn't matter. That's the only answer. Seeking further will only drive you mad.

Yea, Jingus puts it best. TV Guide has proven with these lists that they don't do a lot of research, and just cater to their own demands.

Guest Bricks

Personally, I'd have Homer as Number One, but Number Two isn't that bad.

But I think the Ninja Turtles got screwed. They were like a national phenomenom for a couple years.