TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Vern Gagne

Passing the Torch

Guest Vern Gagne

People have said Rock vs Hogan is a passing of the torch.How in the hell is this a passing of the torch. Hogan was the biggest name in wrestling. Hogan of course wouldn't pass the torch, so Stone Cold took it from him.Just like in 1987, Andre the Giant was never the big time main eventer, if he would of beaten someone like Bruno Sanmartino, or Billy Graham back in 1983 than that would be Passing the Torch.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

It's not passing the torch.

It's sacrificing quality wrestling to take every nickle and dime your audience has before they turn you off for good...because you are shitty.

I touched on this a little in my first column:

Guest goodhelmet

"It's sacrificing quality wrestling to take every nickle and dime your audience has before they turn you off for good...because you are shitty."

LMAO

Everyone seems to be in agreement about wrestling being a business and money being the only important factor. Well, how does it make sense to invest your money in wrestlers who can't bring the goods killing the quality of your product? If Hogan goes over, then wrestling truly has died because he does not deserve a win under any circumstances. Passing the torch? That was Warrior-Hogan. This is Vince grabbing a quick hand of cash from us before we realize we wished Hogan would have stayed away.

Guest goodhelmet

hey man, that was a solid article and i agree with most of your points. But in the mid 80's Piper and Steamboat had already been around for a decade (minor bickering). But both time periods did see the emrgence of new stars while Sammartino was fighting meaningless matches in the midcard and Pedro Morales (a former champ) was a glorified JTTS. In the late 90's, guys like the Rock, Stone cold, DX were fresh and exciting and I honestly felt like I was watching new stars being created instead of what we are experiencing now, the refusal of wrestlers to hel pcreate new stars. Guys like UT and Austin (w/ major injuries) have to be shaking in their boots. They're  not getting any younger (a fact that they've acknowledged) and the roster is fighting for the spots. Bringing in more old guys to fill up more top slots just seems so counter -productive. And Vince is a genius, right?

Guest Flair5000

Nice column, bps. Although I feel it a little harsh to fire Jeff Hardy and keep Matt. Firing both would be much better :)

Guest Tony149
In the late 90's, guys like the Rock, Stone cold, DX were fresh and exciting and I honestly felt like I was watching new stars being created instead of what we are experiencing now, the refusal of wrestlers to hel pcreate new stars. Guys like UT and Austin (w/ major injuries) have to be shaking in their boots. They're  not getting any younger (a fact that they've acknowledged) and the roster is fighting for the spots. Bringing in more old guys to fill up more top slots just seems so counter -productive. And Vince is a genius, right?

Vince is a genius, but not Vince McMahon. I think the last 2 years proves which Vince (Russo) was pushing all the young talent and getting characters and angles for midcarders in the WWF. The fact that Kurt Angle, Edge & Christian are the only guys to get any sort of character development is kinda sad. The WWF had been riding the wave created in 1998. Now the wave isn't as big, and the water is running out.

Guest The Mighty Damaramu

Please....don't suggest anything to do with Vince Russo. The man is not a genius and if he returned. God TV would suck 10x worse.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

I'd keep Matt because he looked like he had potential as a midcard heel.

And I hate Jeff.

I hate the both of them! And I hate Lita even more! That stupid bitch.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

Don't get me wrong, I think that Matt sucks.

It's just that, during his short heel turn he LOOKED like he COULD be a good heel.

Nothing more.

Jeff is ghey.

Guest Flair5000

I hope you are using gay in the 'really poor' sense of the word, rather than passing judgement on Jeff's sexuality?

Actually, forget that, they are both really gay. :)

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

By the way...Since Hogan "passed the torch" at Mania 6...How did he get it back?

Guest Flair5000

He didn't. Rock will be passing the torch BACK to him at WM by putting him over. Oh yes.

Guest Tony149

I was just trying to find a way to use the word "genius" in my post. Although it probably wasn't smart to use it for Russo. Nice to know the guy name makes people get jumpy.

Hogan used his "creative control" card to get the torch back. Since he jobbed to it and Hogan wanted his win back.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

That torch has quite a history

Sammartino had it for a long time.

Backlund may or may not (read:not) have been screwed out of it

Hogan had it for a while

Hogan passed it to Warrior

Hogan took it back

Bret Hart got it by default

Vince screwed it out of Bret and gave it to Micheals

Micheals gave it to Austin

Austin IMO still has it today

For some reason HHH thinks he has the torch too.

Guest Tony149

When too many guys think they have the torch. There asking for backstage problems. Although HHH probably has a better claim, since he's banging Steph. Even though, IMO, Austin is the one with the torch.

Guest razazteca

just a quick question if Hogan had the torch in the WWF did it burn out in the late 80s, or did UnderTaker just find a new one?

Also in WCW did Bill Goldberg get the same torch from Hogan during the big win streak?

UT found his own torch. It was similar to Hogan's but not as good. But by gawd he held onto that torch....and still holds it to this day.

Guest razazteca

do you think Kane got burnt by the torch when he tried to grab it?  Being WWF for what a week?

sorry about the lame joke I could not resist

Guest Brian

It seems like Austin tried to pass it to Angle during the summer. Austin owes Rock a job big time, so that's where the torch is probably getting passed.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

Angle only won the title because of 9-11, and thus lost it back 2 weeks later.

HHH owes everyone jobs (Benoit, Jericho, Rock, Austin...)  I'd like to see him start returning those.

He can start at Mania by putting over Jericho.

Guest Brian

I'm not too worried about HH, but Austin's job to Rock is really glaring because it happened at two WrestleMania's and a BackLash.

As for the Angle thing, I'll still assert that Angle was due to pick up a win in that feud sooner or later, it just seemed like the time was right but the crowd wasn't ready for Angle as a face champ, especially that early in his run. It's not the first time they made decisions quickly and on the fly.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

I figure that if the NWO hadn't been hired we'd have seen Austin job to Rock at this years Mania.

They'll meet up sooner or later...and we know who'll win.

Guest Brian

They've already blown it though. They should have just done it at SummerSlam. After a while, it's not going to be as important.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

I thikn that more important than beating Austin...

If Rock loses to Hogan this year (and I doubt that Hogan was brought in to job his first big match) he will have lost 4 straight Mania Main Events.

Guest Tony149

The Rock is like the Buffalo Bills. They make it to the big dance, but "choke". The only difference is the Bills play in a sport that isn't booked.

Guest Risk

One of the big reason the WWF sucks is that unless the fans like you, you rarely get a clean win.  Teiple H should job cleanly to Jericho at Mania.  No Stephanie, no anything, he should tap out to the walls of jericho and lose.