TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest bps "The Truth" 21

The One and Only NWA TNA week 8 thread

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

"NWA TNA main event sizzles

by Dave Meltzer

[email protected]

This is the one show I'd suggest if you didn't see, that you should go out of your way to get the replay of. Not that it was show of the year, because the stuff that was bad was downright awful. But the main event was tremendous, the show was well paced and this was the first show that had the feel of an old-time regional territory that's alive instead of dying.

1. Flying Elvis's b Amazing Red & Jose & Joel Maximo. Storyline was that Sonny Siaki wanted to work the match by himself. Since he was the heel and they were three-on-one, crowd was dead because of the reverse lack of psychology. But they picked up at the end and did so many tremendous spots that it was very entertaining. Yang (looked tremendous) & Estrada both came off the top on Red for Siaki stole the pin, so to speak

2. Ron Killings b Ken Shamrock to win the NWA title. Half the world was fighting outside the ring when Apolo was supposed to superkick Shamrock when Killings moved (unfortunately he missed but it was the finish...so). Steamboat threw Shamrock into the ring and Killings got the pin.

Steamboat set up Jarrett vs. Apolo with the winner "getting The Truth"

3. Very long series of dreadfully bad stuff. In short form, they have a hardcore title with complicated rules. Both Dupps hold the title which is an old spittoon. They both ended up beating Ed Ferrara. The good news was that Ferrara was absent from the announcers desk the rest of the show. Bad news was Don West was talking more than in any previous week

4. Malice beat Don Harris in a first blood match. Slash interfered and he and Jim Mitchell juiced before Don did

5. Jarrett b Apolo with Steamboat as ref. Apolo used the german suplex. Both guys' shoulders were down but Jeff got his up. But guess what, it was a swerve. He's not getting a title match, instead next week (only match announced) is Jarrett & Killings vs. Styles & Lynn for the tag titles

6. Bruce b Taylor Vaughn in an evening gown match. Impossible to believe, but it was far worse than last week

7. Low Ki won the X title in a three-way over Lynn and Styles. Freaking awesome. Not as polished, but with all the incredible innovative moves, every bit as good as the three-way on the last WWE PPV. Tons of near falls. Ki pinned Lynn with Styles doing the spiral tap in the middle of it onto Lynn.

Show ended with Lynn fighting Styles and Jarrett fighting Killings. Granted, that makes no sense, but if they can deliver matches like that main event, they'll find a niche "

Guest the pinjockey

Basically I feel the same as everyone else. Opening match was cool and the main event ruled all.

One big difference, I actually got a kick out of the Dupp Cup rules part (campy good, I like stupid funny) but then once they started wrestling Ferrera I just wanted it to end.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

I don't disagree with that.

HAd it JUST been the rules as the segment...then that's fine.

But the match was terrible terrible overkill

Guest massivHEDtrauma

Low Ki vs. Jerry Lynn vs. A.J. Styles is match of the year thus far. They did some shit I've never even thought about before. It was just incredible. Couple that with the Killings title win and the SAT vs. the Flying Elvises, and the show was pretty damned good, even with all the other CRAP that was going on throughout. But that triple threat match, my God, that was quite the winner indeed. First ***** match of the year, in my opinion.

Guest the pinjockey

What was the big deal about the segment though that made Borash start boasting that there would be talk over the water cooler because they pushed the envelope too far or something along those lines. There was nothing really controversial or anything just a bunch of pointlessness.

Guest Vyce

Well Borash was right. He said hte Dupps would so something we either loved or really, really hated. Guess we know which, huh?

Jerry Jarrett, please take note.

You need a good deal more quality control on Russo's writing.

Other than that, I really, really liked the show tonight.

Opener kicked ass.

Truth / Shamrock wasn't as good as I'd hoped, but the very fact that they actually pulled the trigger and gave Truth the title made it up for me. They actually took the chance with Killings. How often do you see that, in the WWE? Oh, never. RVD is more over than just about anyone (outside of the rock), but it'll probably take him 2 more years, if he's lucky, before he gets the gold. If he gets it at all.

Jarrett / Apolo wasn't too bad.

And the main event fucking OWNED. Worth the 10 bucks alone.

God, I need the NWA to get two regular TV shows. Not so that I can keep from paying 10 bucks every week.....so that I can watch 4 hours of NWA every week, and never bother with the WWE again.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

I'll tell you...

If they could get half way decent writing to compliment what was in that ring today...then they have more than just something good going on for 10 bucks.

Guest cabbageboy

Sound comment about Killings getting the shot while the WWE screws around with RVD. Come to think of it, I'd like to see that match: RVD vs. the Truth. So far Killings has been great on the mic but I've yet to see him really tear it up in the ring.

I enjoyed the opener a lot, the Elvis gimmick is amusing but not overdone.

Good lord that main event was awesome. I was in awe of some of the stuff they were doing, all those 3 way spots were great. I will give it ****3/4 with the -1/4 going to a kinda weird finish.

The NWA is such a schitzo show. They somehow have some of the best stuff I've ever seen as well as the worst stuff in the SAME show! You can tell it's an uncomfortable mix of Jerry Jarrett and Russo booking.

I can understand Jarrett not wanting to book everything himself, what with all the lawsuit stuff he has going on. But Russo has brought more bad than good to the NWA.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

"Good lord that main event was awesome. I was in awe of some of the stuff they were doing, all those 3 way spots were great. I will give it ****3/4 with the -1/4 going to a kinda weird finish. "

I think this is how I will settle on my rating as well.

What was there was PHENOMENAL. Best 3 man I've ever seen...kinda like the HBK/Hall ladder match was to ladder matches IMO.

But the ending was funky.

Guest Tony149

The Jarretts' (and probably Russo) seem to read what the fans are saying online. So I wouldn't be surprise if some things get toned down or dropped.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

I also have to say...

I have been pleased with the amount of time they have given matches.

I have yet to see an X match under 10 minutes.

And matches like Malice/Harris or Malice/Apolo don't get past like 7.

That has been a plus IMO.

Not making the guys who can't go stumble through a long match...and letting the guys that can have the time to wrok something like the main event today.

Guest Showstoppa Icon
Not making the guys who can't go stumble through a long match...and letting the guys that can have the time to wrok something like the main event today.

WWE should take notice of that when they put a 20 min main event on and give the cruiserweights a 6 minute match. Let the ppl who can work go 20 mins.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

Damn straight.

I didn't even make the connection...but now I've had flashbacks to 25 minutes of HHH vs. Taker at KOTR.

Guest Kingpk

After re-viewing most of the show, I'm gonna change my opinion to a marginal thumbs up, but the crap was REALLY bad.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

No doubt about that.

Even I, the #1 TNA mark declare that Dupps segment to be THE WORST THING EVER.

But in ring...was good.

Come on Russo...write us a winner to go along with the guys busting ass out there.

Guest Showstoppa Icon

i thaught the 6man was a great match too, along of course with the main event, if they just cut out some of the crap(russo-esq skits) it would make the show a lot more watchable. But if they keep putting on matches like the 2 2nite ill keep buyin the shows

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

I know I said it as a part of the play by play...but I think people will be skipping to the end...

So I just want to say that I thought it was really classy the way they handled Killing's accoplishment of becoming the first EVER black NWA champion.

They mentioned it AFTER he had won instead of before or during.

The way they did it put the emphasis on Ron Killings the wrestler winning the title. And as an affect became the first black champion.

I really was afraid they would do an angle before hand and it would take away from what the man accomplished...because so much of the angle was racist in nature, at least at the beginning.

Well done IMHO.

Guest Showstoppa Icon

I agree with that but still it doesnt take away from the fact its still a racist angle. Jarrett comes out and says Steamboats a racist. Steamboat implies hes not. THen he screws Jarrett out of a title shot. Seems like theyre pushing for a racist angle. Im just wondering where theyre planning to go with it. I mean theres not really a good clean resolution aside from the possibility of turning Ron face. But that would still leave Steamboat as the racist. So im at a loss because of that.

Guest Ram

If you're a racist, I don't see why you'd be afraid to admit it. I mean, he obviously wasn't scared of getting his ass kicked. He went on and screwed over Jarrett afterwards, so hey.

They have to clarify if its racist or not for good, just so viewers know what is going on and why. It would be a solid angle and role for Killings if they clarified in simple terms that its about social class level rather than skin color.

And I really think "they" means the upper class company owners. I hope..

It makes sense for me, because when he was being "held down", it was because he wasn't groomed and conformed to the upper class' liking. He wasn't the model they had in mind. He could name a few other wrestlers who have been in and are in his place (and I would cry with joy if he mentioned RVD as being one of his people). He didn't come from rich family, the best city, and didn't attend the best schools and training facilities. He doesn't go to the best hotel in town to stay, and he doesn't eat at the best resteraunt. He is a middle class man beating the system. And he knows the truth.

Guest cabbageboy

That is a good point about the NWA letting the guys wrestle who can. I think it is curious that an old time promoter like Jarrett would have the most cutting edge thing in wrestling, the X division. The NWA seems at times like a weird mix of old school southern wrestling, cutting edge X stuff, and dated Russo car crash TV.

As an aside, why did WWE release Jerry Lynn? Going into SS, RVD has no feud or opponent....I could always use a cool RVD/Lynn match, especially with this mediocre card so far announced.

Guest Zack Malibu

I had to run out last night, but I did tape the show. I came home at 5:30 this morning and popped the tape in, rewinding only to the Truth/Shamrock match to see how it panned out.

I could have lived without run-in city, and I don't know, the crowd didn't seem REALLY into it to me.

I don't really like Apolo much, either.

Steamboat seems very heelish, and I think they need to walk on a fine line if they plan on a full turn, because I do NOT want that man's legacy ruined by stupid Russo booking.

Killings won, that's all that mattered. I'm just interested into seeing where they take him. He's gotten what he deserves, but I don't want them to just say "Killings is now the champion" without some type of motivation. Will he become a face now that he's "broken the barrier", or will he use his newfound glory to do what they did to him and hold others down?

The tag match next week seems like some type of mish-mash, but will get my order strictly on interest, curiousity and intrigue alone. Plus, while I'm not a huge Jarrett fan, it should be an excellent match with 3 of my favorite TNA stars.

And get rid of the Dupps, seriously. There's a reason why I released them in EWR, you know ;). Same thing with Taylor Vaughn and Bruce.

Cut down on that shit and you have one of the best PPV's of the year, bar none.

Guest Tony149

I'll like to see The Truth do whatever e wants. Like maybe have him go out next week and say once he won the NWA Title -- he got a phone call from the NWA telling him he was going to Japan to defend the title.

The Truth would then say "Hell no! They can't hold me back now. I'm the Champ and I do what I want, when I want."

Something along those lines.

Guest The Superstar

My favorite parts of the X Title match were the climax (hitting each other's finishers on each other) and the three way parts (Loki rollup on Lynn, who German Suplexed Styles, and Lynn sunset flip powerbomb on Styles who superplexed Loki) Innovation at its finest, only in TNA!

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

That Powerbomb superplex move was one of the greatest moves I've ever seen.

Guest BionicRedneck
Innovation at its finest, only in TNA!

Or Japan. :)

I havent seen NWATNA yet (I'm from UK) but i have seen Low Ki wrestle many times, and he is massively overated. What i have seen, his matches don't come close to *****.

Guest The Superstar

This was my first time seeing Low-ki, and I had the triple threat match rated as ****3/4. That's pretty close to ***** :)

Guest goodhelmet

Well, Dames is my partner in crime but I think he overrates matches. Having said that, I am looking forward to finding a MOTY and if this 3-way can come close to that, then I'll be a happy camper.

Speaking of 3-ways, I initially was not impressed with the 3-way from the first ROH show between Low-Ki, American Dragon and Christopher Daniels. After several viewings that match has grown on me like no other. It currently stands as my top MOTY candidate. Nothing in the WWF touches it. And the first few matches I've seen from NWA don't come close so it is possible this may beat it out.