TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jobber of the Week

[Long] Considering starting a game of sorts here

Guest Jobber of the Week

THIS IS NOT ACTUALLY HAPPENING YET. IT IS IN BRAINSTORMING RIGHT NOW. PLEASE GIVE ME FEEDBACK AND TELL ME IF YOU LIKE OR DISLIKE THIS IDEA.

I started thinking this up a couple days ago. Take the fun (or the shittyness, depending on what you think of it) of fantasy booking, mix in the appeal of those simulator games, add in inputs from a playerbase of Smarks, and see what happens.

In short, I am considering starting a WWE-oriented booking game... Well, it's not so much a game as a story we're taking parts in writing, but it'll be heavily managed by moi so as to not fall TOO far outside the bounds of fantasy.

Here's the concepts. Expect the finished rules to be this with some more stuff:

* The goal of the game is to see if the players can create a better storyline over the past year than the real-life WWE Creative. If we meet Present Day in-game (which we probably will), we will probably go on until a certain in-game date or until everyone gets bored of the game and quits. We'll see what happens. ;D

* This game doesn't compete with the Smark virtual wrestling leagues. One can play those games and this game if they want, but remember, it's a time commitment.

* A SIGN-UP THREAD WILL BE POSTED AT A LATER DATE. It will (hopefully!) be posted at a peak traffic hour when everyone has a fair chance to sign up and will contain the finished rules.

* The actual game will be taking place in the Fantasy Booking forum to keep crap from filling up this or the others.

* Ideally, we will have 8-12 people playing. Any extra sign-ups are considered on the Waiting List in case someone decides to quit the game. Too many will mean too much waiting, and playing does require some work (read on!)

---ME----

* I shall be the game's manager. My job is to send Private Messages to players who's turn it is to play, to manage and make additions and removals to rosters and so on.

* I reserve the right to disqualify parts of entries. You can do almost anything you want within the boundaries of belivability. Go ahead and give Funaki the World Title if you REALLY want to, although it doesn't help us get to the "Beat the WWE at their own game" goal. However, if you try and tell me that Bossman and Albert have a ***** ladder match as the main event of WrestleMania, I will laugh at you and the game will continue as though it never happened. I don't plan to be using this power too much, but chances are someone may be an asshole. ;)

--YOU--

* A player is given one month of in-game time to book matches and angles.

* Players are expected to divide this time up into shows of Raw and SmackDown. For simplicity's sake, we will pretend Heat and the other shows don't exist. House Shows will exist, but Players will not be booking them. Chances are you won't be hearing from House Shows much.

* When booking/writing, give us the overall angle the show was developing and what the important matches were. We don't need to know what Crash Holly is doing all the time or filler midcard matches, but if someone made a challenge for a PPV match or what have you, tell us about it. In other words, think "Reader's Digest version" here. :D

* No "End of the World" scenarios. Do not try to conclude the entire story. This means no "...and then the WWE went out of business THE END" style writing. At the same time, you are not allowed to hire or fire wrestlers. If you do not like someone, you are free to not use them. On the same token, do not blowoff every feud in the course of one month and leave the game in limbo.

* This is a team effort. You are expected to read at least the recent happenings before writing and continue the other person's storyline. Do what you like in terms of turning wrestlers, changing Champions, etc. However, leave some sort of storyline elements (feuds and the like) for the next person.

* THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT! For the most part, this game will be first-come-first-serve, with some exceptions. People who have been around for months and have hundreds or thousands of posts will be chosen over guys who have been around only two-weeks with a dozen posts to their name. At the same time, people with proper English skills are likely to be chosen over "ppl who ch00se 2 talk lik dis." Playing will mean a fair bit of sitting at your computer and typing. If you don't have the time or the skill to write mini-recaps of approximately eight shows and a Pay Per View, you WILL have trouble playing.

* Stupid board trends such as obvious levels of HHHate in your writing will obviously make the game more retarded.

Current plans are that the game will begin in December 2001, with the first player (who will be randomly picked) having to establish an Undisputed Champion by the end of the month.

Thoughts? Opinions? Rules suggestions? Does this sound like fun or too much work?

Guest HollywoodSpikeJenkins

Uhhh go for it.

*Plans on making Benoit World Champ....*

Guest El Psycho Diablo

Here's a question.

Is this going to be based somewhat on reality (such as: RVD would get a massive reaction) or way out there fantasy booking style? (entire crowds chanting "Go Benoit Go!")

Guest Ram

Sounds interesting, actually. You might need to clarify a few bits of information (i.e. when and how long a player would book).

It could work, but the hard part would be finding a dedicated player. I know there are some who would enjoy playing while its around, and others (like myself) who can't even live with a desktop wallpaper longer than two days. ;)

Guest Jobber of the Week

EPD:

Is this going to be based somewhat on reality (such as: RVD would get a massive reaction) or way out there fantasy booking style? (entire crowds chanting "Go Benoit Go!")

Crowd reaction is something a Booker can't control and thus does not play a part in this game. You could give Benoit the belt or job him out if you like, but hopefully whatever you do, you'll have some angles and circumstance for it. The first priority is keeping it interesting enough that the next person will want to play. Second priority is doing something more interesting than what WWE is doing, while using their same talent pool.

Ram:

You might need to clarify a few bits of information (i.e. when and how long a player would book).

Sure. I plan to make a random list of people that we'll go from top to bottom, starting at the top again once it's completed. People from the Waiting List will fill in wherever it's needed.

My current plan is that when it's your turn, I will send you a Private Message and you have 24 hours to reply, and another To Be Determined amount of time to write it and submit it. Failure to do so and I'll just move onto the next person. If you regularly miss or pass your turn, you'll be ejected and someone from the Waiting List will be contacted about joining.

Guest Vitamin X

Well I'm down for it, sounds like a fun and interesting idea.. Plus, other than college (and who needs THAT anyways?) I don't have much else to do. so I definitely don't have a problem with time commitment...

I'm game (poses and spits water)!

I did something like this last month, sorta. The scenario was thw WWE wetn out of business, so all the wrestlers were divided up into smaller upstarts, it was kinda interesting, but everyone disappeared after a month or so

Guest Mystery Eskimo

Sounds good. Keep me in mind :)

*Points to large number of posts* :P