TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest saturnmark4life

best in game music

Guest Smues
- City escape from Sonic adventure 2

Damn right... although "Live and Learn" was the best song in the whole game. :D

City escape was great, live and learn was ok, but it doesn't matter was the absolute shit. Honorable mention to the metal harbor zone music, I could listen to that on an endless loop for all eternity. My other favorite games music would have to have Chrono Trigger at the top. Only game I shilled out the cash for the soundtrack for. All the Final Fantasy games have great music, and Suikoden 1 and 2 both have bitchin soundtracks.

Guest -Cutthroat-

I liked All the Darknesss and e.g.g.m.a.n. I'm listening to it now....

Guest MrBiznatch

Final Fantasy VII Aeris' song literally almost brought me to tears every time they played it after her death in the game.

Mega Man 2 Flashman's stage has the coolest music.

All the Zelda games have cool music.

Castlevania Symphony of the Night....there were some awesome songs in there.

Guest areacode212

I've been playing Return to Castle Wolfenstein lately, and both the music and the sound effects are incredible. The music in the opening cinematic alone made me mark out for the game.

- All the songs from Marvel vs Cacpom 2 and Capcom vs Snk 2

Ok, I don't know about Cap vs SNK 2, but the music for MvC2 is HORRIBLE. None of it is fighting music and its all pop-ish which makes NO sense for that genre. The most annoying is the "I'm gonna take you for a ride" song that plays OVER AND OVER in the character selection screen. Some of the worst music ever.

Dames

Guest Leena

Squaresofts music is by leaps and bounds the best. My personal favorite is the music in Final Fantasy 4. The beginning crystal song is strong, yet beautiful. "Rydia", on the soundtrack, is one of the most beautiful songs ever. Its very simple, but it brings tears to my eyes every time I hear it.

Guest KANE

Do I have to reiterate? Ninja Gaiden and Battletoads in Battlemaniacs!

Or, if you're looking for recent games, Super Smash Brothers: Melee for it's updates of classic themes (Love the "Adventure of Link" Laberinth theme).

Guest chirs3

I've come to a very important conclusion:

You're all very very wrong.

FFVI = Best.

Just accept it and move on.

;)

Guest KoR Fungus

Yes, yes indeed.

And really, FF6 is always the right answer to any "best anything" question in videogames, so people should just stop asking. :)

Guest Leena

I prefer FF4 to FF6, sorry. :)

FF6 would be the better game, if the storyline continued, and the characters meant something past the halfway point.

Guest chirs3

Well "Bah" to you then. The focus on characters is what makes the game so darn cool.

But at least you're naming a Squaresoft title... unlike some others on this thread...

Guest KoR Fungus

Bah, the lack of linear plot development in the world of ruin was part of what made FF6 so great. Being force fed a story through linear events (ie all of FF4) gets boring after awhile. The world of ruin gave you freedom, but still advanced a great plot, which was wonderful. No other RPG has done it as well.

Plus, even if FF4's plot and characters were better, which they're not, it's still held down by the fact that the battle mode was garbage. No choice of characters all game? Yuck.

FF4 did have really good music though. Some of the character themes are really beautiful. My only problem with it is that some of the music sounds a little eight bit. FF6's sound is much more orchestral.

Guest Leena

The thing that really turned me off most about FF6, is how the enemies (mostly Kefka, I was really into his evil character in the beginning of the game) is forgotten. Then you're basically doing sidequests, that lose the focus of the game. I guess it just comes down to that I prefer more linear games.

I won't argue with the characters in FF6. The main characters were written well, but they could have just dropped about half of them. In FF4, I could relate with all the characters, knew everything about their personalities, and knew why they were fighting. No other game has done that as well imo.

I never said FF4's plot was better, as it had been done a million times in before in RPGs. (Although FF6 is eerily similar to the Breath of Fire series, too)

I should also mention that I'm talking about the translated hard Japanese version of FF4 emulated. The US SNES version is way too simple, and the Playstation version has too much slowdown. Both are poorly translated, also.

FF4 was originally made to be an 8-bit game, so that's why the music may sound a bit older, but I still consider every song in that game great. FF6 has great music, too. Infact, every Squaresoft game has great music.