TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest OSIcon

[SMW] Loss4Words

Guest OSIcon

Did this air on TV or is it the Handheld?

Also, why is this your second favorite tag match?  I just want to know why it is so great so I can decide whether to purchase it.

Thanks

Guest Loss4Words

"Did this air on TV or is it the Handheld?"

It aired on TV. I believe the air date may have been 04/16/94, but don't quote me on that. I know it was somewhere around that time.

"Also, why is this your second favorite tag match?  I just want to know why it is so great so I can decide whether to purchase it."

If you followed the Midnights v Rock & Rolls feud in the 80s, you will LOVE this match. The psychology is pretty deep here as they play off of a lot of those matches in small ways. Ricky Morton is, as always, your God and mine, and I guess I shouldn't be surprised since he's the best in-ring babyface in wrestling history. It's great because the heat is off the charts, the match goes long (don't remember exactly how long), there's blood, there's emotion, great action, great commentary ... pretty much everything you can ask for in a great tag team match.

Also, Cornette's promo after the match seals it as an awesome scene. That may have been the best interview Cornette ever did and if you have seen a lot of Cornette promos, that is really saying something. He just talks calmly about how he has fought the Rock & Rolls for ten years and that now, after ten years, he has no choice but to admit defeat. It's just chilling. Like I said before, it's after only the Midnight Express-Fantastics match from Clash I as my favorite US tag match ever. But, as a guideline of my favorites, here they are:

Jerry Lawler & Dutch Mantel v Bill Dundee & Buddy Landell - Memphis 05/86 - Texas Death Match - Goes 60 minutes with 27 falls IIRC. Classic finish.

Midnight Express v Rock & Roll Express - Superstars on the Superstation 02/07/86 - This match reads like a template for the entire feud.

Midnight Express v Southern Boys - Great American Bash '90 - The MX put forth perhaps their best performance ever and the Southern Boys are great here as well. See it to believe it.

Chris Jericho & Chris Benoit v Steve Austin & HHH - WWF RAW 05/21/01 - There are some criticisms of this match out there, so I rewatched the match and got just as much out of it the second time around as I did the first time. Great effort by all four and everyone is used in the perfect role here.

Midnight Rockers v Doug Somers & Buddy Rose - AWA 1986 - All of the matches they had were great, but the Las Vegas match where Michaels and Jannetty finally won the tag titles is probably my favorite.

Midnight Express v Ric Flair & Barry Windham - Clash IV 12/07/88 - This match was on my 8th birthday! Anyway, good work from all four and some minor pacing flaws, but nothing to get worked up over.

Shawn Michaels & Diesel v Razor Ramon & 1-2-3 Kid - WWF Action Zone 10/30/94 - Seeing this match will just frustrate you all the more when you see how little effort Nash puts out compared to his potential when he's motivated. The Clique obviously liked working together.

Heavenly Bodies v Rock & Roll Express - SMW 04/16/94 - Loser Leaves Town Cage Match - See above.

Midnight Express v Fantastics - Clash I - One of the wildest brawls I've ever seen, and every move means something. Only the Dusty finish keeps this from being perfect.

Hart Foundation v Rockers - SNME 04/28/90 - A sleeper pick. One of the best matches no one remembers. I guarantee you you've never seen Bret Hart work at this lightning-quick pace outside of this match.

Guest Tim Cooke

"If you followed the Midnights v Rock & Rolls feud in the 80s, you will LOVE this match. The psychology is pretty deep here as they play off of a lot of those matches in small ways. Ricky Morton is, as always, your God and mine, and I guess I shouldn't be surprised since he's the best in-ring babyface in wrestling history. It's great because the heat is off the charts, the match goes long (don't remember exactly how long), there's blood, there's emotion, great action, great commentary ... pretty much everything you can ask for in a great tag team match."

I need to see this match and the interview.  Though the MX/Fantastics feud is better than the RnR/MX feud :), I still like the idea of 10 years of build up to something as emotional as this.

*snip*

"Jerry Lawler & Dutch Mantel v Bill Dundee & Buddy Landell - Memphis 05/86 - Texas Death Match - Goes 60 minutes with 27 falls IIRC. Classic finish."

Haven't seen....

"Midnight Express v Rock & Roll Express - Superstars on the Superstation 02/07/86 - This match reads like a template for the entire feud."

Good match.....gotta love David Crockett's "overhyped face announcing"...

"Midnight Express v Southern Boys - Great American Bash '90 - The MX put forth perhaps their best performance ever and the Southern Boys are great here as well. See it to believe it."

The MX at their height.  Too bad their height ended up being the last days of their team in WCW.

"Chris Jericho & Chris Benoit v Steve Austin & HHH - WWF RAW 05/21/01 - There are some criticisms of this match out there, so I rewatched the match and got just as much out of it the second time around as I did the first time. Great effort by all four and everyone is used in the perfect role here."

I have said enough about this in the past that I will be good and keep my mouth shut :)

*snip*

"Midnight Express v Ric Flair & Barry Windham - Clash IV 12/07/88 - This match was on my 8th birthday! Anyway, good work from all four and some minor pacing flaws, but nothing to get worked up over."

Good match.  The first 5 times I saw this match, I thought it was the best thing I have ever seen.  Still terrific, though I have about 5 MX matches that I would take over this.

*snip*.

"Midnight Express v Fantastics - Clash I - One of the wildest brawls I've ever seen, and every move means something. Only the Dusty finish keeps this from being perfect."

Perfect match if seen in the context of their 2/88 one and the 4/26/88 re match.  It also doesn't hurt to see their original MS and WCCW matches.  Just a really neat homage to a great pair of teams being able to put on a match like this and keep a feud so great with it being stopped for 3 years.

Tim