TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Black Tiger

1/4/03

Guest Black Tiger

Throughout the whole G-1 Climax tournament whenever Tenzan's name came up, a comment about how beating Nagata for the IWGP Title on 1/4/03 would pop up.

Does anyone else agree that 1/4/03 ought to be used for Nagata to cement himself as a major player and worthy IWGP Champion? I think its the perfect place for him to come full circle and overcome the hell of 12/31/01. On

1/4/02 Inoki brought out Yasuda and went on about overcoming gambling debts to being a big money superstar. That's how I think it should be for Nagata on 1/4/03. Going from 21 second shootfight loss, to IWGP Champion and a big time player in New Japan.

Guest Your Olympic Hero

I think that on that card, Rick Steiner should win his first IWGP championship.

And before you all track me down and make me suffer a slow, painful death... I'm just kidding about RIck Steiner.

Guest PlatypusFool

I think Nagata should hold the IWGP title for a VERY long time, and yet continue to look slightly vulnerable, especially to Tenzan.

If they give Nagata convincing victories over a lot of people, building to him looking very strong on 1/4/03, but keep having Tenzan come close to taking the title, then they can work for the future.

What we must realise is that they must not rush. They are going to do an NJPW vs. MMA theme for the next few months it seems, which, if booked correctly, could revitalise NJPW and make the whole company look strong again. They need to give the whole thing time, keep Nagata strong, and build slowly to Tenzan eventually beating him.

Course, the worst thing that could happen would be for Nagata to lose the title to Frye / Fujita / Yasuda as a part of this NJPW vs. MMA thing... but that IS NOT going to happen!

Guest Black Tiger
Course, the worst thing that could happen would be for Nagata to lose the title to Frye / Fujita / Yasuda as a part of this NJPW vs. MMA thing... but that IS NOT going to happen!

No it won't happen because Inoki brought back the NWF title for the sole purpose of having a top belt for his shooters. The only chance I see of any IWGP titles going on shooters would be Yasuda and one of his masked boys knocking off Chono and Tenzan for the tag straps.

Tenzan is lucky because he's one of the few guys in NJPW who haven't been thrown into these wrestler vs shootfighter deals and comes out looking bad.

As long as Tenzan and Chono are buddies then Tenzan will NEVER get his big push. Because he'll always be #2. Tenzan will only get a big push when Chono retires, or they split up.