TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest redbaron51

Your favourite NES Game?

Guest redbaron51

There is about 3 games that I think Nintendo was the best:

River City Ransom: What The? Unbelievable, this game was probably the most violent game of its time (opinion). I mean pick up the chain and wacked it over his head.

Super Mario Bros. 3: Best Super Mario game ever, with the most challenging levels i've played, but the end? Horrible ending.

Paperboy: What better thing to do than throw papers at houses, break some windows, and lil dogs chasing after you. Oh yes a stunt park at the end.

So tell me what was your favourite NES games?

Guest teke184

Golgo 13: Top Secret Episode- Besides being a fun spy game, what other NES games involve the main character getting laid MULTIPLE times?

Defender of the Crown- Great strategy game.

M.U.L.E.- Great strategy game

Mike Tyson's Punchout- Probably the most popular game in the history of the NES not starring Mario.

Guest Kingpk

Track & Field II-  First game to give me blisters on a regular basis.  My brother tore it up in that game.

Mega Man 2-  The best of the NES Mega Mans

Super Mario Bros. 3

Guest The Man in Blak

Wow...there's so many games I liked from this period, so I'll limit it to five:

Base Wars

Bionic Commando

Life Force

Pirates!

Contra

This is five out of about 15, but these are the ones I found that I played the most.  :)

Guest DEEP THOUGHT

Maniac Mansion

The music, story, graphics...everything was great about that game.

Guest Brush with Greatness

We'll measure this by the games I still play fairly regularly on NesterDC.

Baseball Stars

Double Dragon 2

Mike Tyson's Punchout

Super Spike V-Ball

Maniac Mansion

Tecmo Bowl

I could live off those six games for the rest of my life.

Guest Will Scarlet

L'Empereur

River City Ransom

Dodge Ball

Maniac Mansion

Baseball Stars

Legends of the Diamond

Goal!

Godzilla

Godzilla 2: War of the Monsters

Guest El Hijo Del Lunatic

River City Ransom, all three Final Fantasies, Dragon Warrior, Super Dodge Ball, Tecmo Super Bowl, Dusty Diamond's All-Star Softball, Rolling Thunder/Code Name:Viper (they're basically the same game), Blades of Steel, Crystalis, Metroid, METAL GEAR~!, Super Mario 3, Swords and Serpents, and StarTropics are 16 off the top of my head ...

<pimp>

... but DieHard might be my favorite NES game of all time.  I don't think it was released in the US, so HUNT THIS ROM DOWN.  In addition to being UBER-hard, the attention to detail is outstanding.  You have a life meter for your feet, and when it dips below a certain level, you walk noticably slower.  How does the meter go down?  When you step on broken glass.  One floor is made up entirely of baddies and windows - glass goes EVERYWHERE.  It's kinda like they made Metal Gear into a shoot-em-up; if you're not good to begin with, you get your ass handed to you almost immediately.

</pimp>

Guest J*ingus

Let's get the obvious ones out of the way:

Castlevania 1, 2, & 3

Dragon Warrior

Super Mario 3

Contra

Legend of Zelda

Final Fantasy

(Mike Tyson's) Punch Out!

Metal Gear

Mega Man 2

Now, some lesser-known titles (even though most of 'em have already been named):

-Pirates!  What an awesome sort-of-RPG.  You sail around in the Carribbean in the 1600's as a Guess What, and do pretty much whatever you want.  Completely nonlinear, cool as hell.  Graphics and action weren't too great, but the game required strategy & long-term planning.  

-Bionic Commando.  The bionic arm is the single coolest accessory in all of gamedom, and I'm still amazed that noboby has copied it.  Plus, you get to see Hitler's head explode.  

-Guerrilla War.  Like playing Ikari Warriors on crack.  The single most violent, carnage-ridden, explosion-filled game of all time.  Flamethrowers rule.  And epilectics should NOT play this game!  

-Pro Wrestling.  I always played King Slender, went in and gave the opponent five or six backbreakers, and then pinned them.  It's really that easy with him.  And who else out there wants to see Starman vs. Rey Misterio Jr?  

-Low G Man.  Worth a look just for the BIGGEST HARDEST BOSSES OF ALL TIME.  Seriously, most of these guys fill up a few screens, and you have to sit there for half an hour stabbing them over & over again to kill them.  

-3D Worldrunner.  Forget 2001 or The Wall, this game right here is what you need to watch while stoned.  The gameplay isn't too great, but the Technicolor graphics and "what the fuck?!" music are somewhere way beyond simply "bizarre", edging into the realm of madness itself.  

-Kung Fu.  Beating up wimpy-ass purple jabronies is fun.  (Getting your ass kicked the 16th time by The Magician is not.)  

-The Goonies 2.  I don't know why #1 never came out for the NES, but anyway.  This had pretty much nothing to do with the movie, you're rescuing a mermaid (?), but it was one HUGE game, we're talking Metroid-sized levels here.  Also, your main weapon is a yo-yo.  That's right, you're gonna get a fucking YO-YO and you're gonna like it.  

-Spy Hunter.  THE GAME THAT NEVER ENDS.  Seriously.  I've hooked up the ol' game genie and played it for hours, and it never goes anywhere.  Worth a listen for some of the most annoying music in game history.  Also, your car has machine guns, out of which you fire what appear to be ice cream cones.  

-Ghosts & Goblins.  This game taught me that Satan and Lucifer are two separate, individual monsters.  Also that Satan is a near-immortal flying hellbeast, while Lucifer is a big pussy.  And that Ye Olde Knights wore tighty whiteys underneath their armor.  In all seriousness, one of the hardest games I've ever played.  Have fun in level 6, when the Red Devils swarm on you like so many mosquitoes.  

-River City Ransom.  I don't even know where to begin, except to say that this game offers the only nudity I've ever seen on the NES.  (Don't get excited, you sick Lara Croft fetishists, it's a guy's ass.)  Strange strange strange.  Feels almost like a season of Dragonball Z, minus the sci-fi aspects.  But once you pick up a pair of Texas Boots and that super-kicking magic book, the game is your oyster.  

-Maniac Mansion.  Completely unrelated to the even more obscure TV show by the same name.  The only game in history where you can fry a living hamster in a microwave, and then give the exploded remains to its previous owner.  (He kills you if you do that though.)  Funny as hell.  

-King's Quest 5.  Didn't remember that they made this one for the NES, didya?  The graphics were inferior to the computer version, but the gameplay was identical.  

-Desert Commander.  The ORIGINAL kickass strategy game.  Imagine a very primitive version of the Dune series, and you've got it.  

-Karate Champ.  The very first one-on-one fighting game of all time.  Also the worst one-on-one fighting game of all time.  Let's move on.  

-Guardian Legend.  If you're a fan of games that can only be beaten with a week's time to spare and a game genie, this one's for you.  Good gameplay, but it goes on and on and on for almost Spy Hunterian lengths before the final (impossible) conclusion.  

-Donkey Kong Jr.  Mario is the villain.  What more need I say?  

-Donkey Kong 3.  Not a great game per say, but worth it to see just how weird it is.  You play an exterminator, who fights Donkey Kong with his trusty poison spray-gun.  While dodging killer bees.  Yeah, it's weird.  

-Wizardry.  Normally I hate "endless identical mazelike dungeons" RPGs, but this one was of such quality that in won me over.  Just keep rolling the dice at the beginning until you get two or three Samurais, and you'll go far.  

-Shadowgate.  Invented a whole new kind of puzzle game, was also creepy as hell.  Deja Vu and Uninvited get honorable mentions here for the same reasons.  

I could go on and on, as you have probably guessed, but will wrap it up there.

Guest KoR Fungus

Bah I feel so boring listing the obvious ones, but whatever...

5. Super Mario Brothers 3 - Best Mario game on the system, but I liked SMW better.  Great game, I don't think I loved it quite as much as everyone else.

4. Mega Man 2 - Best NES Mega Man, easily.  They had to ruin it with the stupid dog after this.  Pure, simple gameplay at its best.

3. Dragon Warrior - Yup, the boring original.  Captured my imagination like no game before, and made me into a total RPG addict.  Awesome enemy design.  I imagine most people find it boring as hell now, but I can still play through it and enjoy it.

2. Final Fantasy - Awesome in every way, much better than FF IV imo.  Long, deep, great graphics for the time, great music and awesome ability to choose your own party that unfortunately hasn't been in any other FF game.  Grr.

1. Dragon Warrior 3 - RPG perfection, except for maybe a little too much leveling.  Excellent plot, especially for the time, with a great twist at the end.  Awesome mini-games.  Plus it's even longer and deeper than FF, or pretty much anything else released before or since.

Guest The Notorious CRD

In no particular order...

1.  Super Mario Brothers 3

2.  Tecmo Pro Wrestling

3.  Castlevania

4.  Wizards & Warriors

5.  Ironsword: Wizards and Warriors 2

Guest BADBATZ

My topic, awh yeah...

Well the usual would be SMB3, The Guardian Legend, Battle of Olympus, River City Ransom, Castlevania 3, Dragon Warrior 3 and 4, Golgo 13, Bio Senshi Dan, The Goonies 2, Little Ninja Bros, Baseball Simulator 1.000, Bandit Kings of Ancient China (hell, all the koei games), Baseball Stars, Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa, Blaster Master, Clash at Demonhead, Cocoron, Bionic Commando, Joy Mecha Fight, Earthbound Zero, Destiny of An Emperor 1 and 2, Fuzzical Fighter, Golgo 13, Legacy of the Wizard, Monster Party, Xexyz, and Metal Gear.

Also, the really cool thing about Guerilla War, is the fact that it's REALLY (in Guevara, the japanese version) about Che Guevara and Fidel Castro's takeover of Cuba! ¡VIVA LA REVOLUCCION!

Guest masked marvel

Im gonna limit myself too

Super Mario 3

Mike Tyson Punch Out

Dragon Warrior 1 (made me an RPG fan)

Final Fantasy

Double Dragon 2 (wasted so many hours on this)

Ninja Turtles 3 (me and my bro would spend hours)

Deja Vu (Very overlooked)

And one of the most overlooked, Gunsmoke. Nothing beats the simple joys of this game, from the characters to the music, its great.

Guest Annoyed Grunt
... but DieHard might be my favorite NES game of all time.  I don't think it was released in the US, so HUNT THIS ROM DOWN.  In addition to being UBER-hard, the attention to detail is outstanding.  You have a life meter for your feet, and when it dips below a certain level, you walk noticably slower.  How does the meter go down?  When you step on broken glass.  One floor is made up entirely of baddies and windows - glass goes EVERYWHERE.  It's kinda like they made Metal Gear into a shoot-em-up; if you're not good to begin with, you get your ass handed to you almost immediately.

I agree, this game is great.  I downloaded this from a rom site expecting a shitty side scrolling shooter and I was blown away.  It's probabaly one of the most accruate movie to game translations I've ever played.

You can click here to download a Japanese version of the rom.  I'll try to find an english version of it later today and post it here.

Guest The Electrifyer

I thought Metal Gear for the NES was pretty sweet. They did a lot with the NES with Metal Gear.

Guest The Great Wesuke

I was just gonna post here to give Maniac Mansion props... but I see a lot of people already have. It always surprises me how many people have played that game... no one I mention it to offline has ever heard of it.  Great, great game... definitely my number 1.  I'm surprised there has never been a sequel. I heard it is based on a PC game called "Invasion of the tentacle's" or something like that.

Also on my list: Punchout, Mario 3, Mega Man 2, Super Spike VBall, Super Dodgeball, Deja Vu, Contra, Excitebike, Demolition crew (you smash walls with hammers and go through mazes... anyone else ever played it?)

Guest BA_Baracus

Hmmm...

...may as well do some posting.

Mario 3, Maniac Mansion and Battletoads!

Guest midnight_burn

There were a hell of alot of good games of the NES, but definately among my favourites were the Mario and Megaman games.

Guest Annoyed Grunt
I was just gonna post here to give Maniac Mansion props... but I see a lot of people already have. It always surprises me how many people have played that game... no one I mention it to offline has ever heard of it.  Great, great game... definitely my number 1.  I'm surprised there has never been a sequel. I heard it is based on a PC game called "Invasion of the tentacle's" or something like that.

IIRC, "Day of the Tenitcle" is the PC only sequel.

Guest jimmy no nose

My favorite will always be Mike Tyson's Punch Out.  I still play it to this day on an actual NES console.  I need to get an emulator.

Guest teke184

You can get a copy of a good Nintendo emulator, Nesticle (yes, that IS the real name of it) from most emulation sites, although you'll have to look harder to find one with ROMs.

On the plus side, Punchout is one of the more popular ROMs, so it should be found on 75% of the ROM sites.

On the minus side, the emulation of Punchout is a bit buggy.  There's a lot of garbage on the screen and certain ones are more disrupted than others, but the actual gameplay works fine. The big pain in the @ss is that the password function comes up with garbage characters instead of numbers.

Guest O.G. NES Fanboy

So many titles, where do I begin?

(make sure to read the whole list, as it will bring back memories, and maybe remind you of some games that you forgot. It could even tell you a game that you have never heard of.)

Castlevania

Simon's Quest (one of my all-time favorite games)

Castlevania 3

Mike Tyson's Punch Out

River City Ransom

Blaster Master

Legend of Zelda

Super Mario Bros. 3

Double Dragon

Final Fantasy

Dragon Warrior

Dragon Warrior 2

Dragon Warrior 3

Dragon Warrior 4

Metroid

Bionic Commando

Contra

Rygar (great game)

Dick Tracy

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2

Mount Olympus

Faxanadu (great game)

Fester's Quest

Friday the 13th

Marble Madness

Ninja Gaiden

Guerilla War

Milon's Secret Castle

Gauntlet

Tetris

Karnov (great game)

Bad Dudes

Demon Sword (great game)

Adventure Island

Battletoads

Little Nimo the Dream Master

Caveman Games

Crystilis (great game)

Excitebike

Super Dodge Ball

Megaman

Megaman2

Megaman3

Megaman4

Megaman5

Megaman6

Robocop

Ultima

Ultima2

Ultima3

I'm sure that I am forgetting some of my favorites, however I'm sure that I named some that people forgot. This post brings back so many memories from my childhood.

Almost all the games that I listed can be found as roms here: www.emurater.com

Guest RavishingRickRudo

-Faxanadu (this + game genie = fun)

-Punch Out

-Mario 2, I said TWO~!  I enjoy the acid induced storyline/gimmick.

-Pro Wrestling (as mentioned earlier), I remember LOVING this game as a kid, the announcer at the bottom ruled all and whenever you hit a special move it went all letter box and shit.  The ROM just sucked IMO.

- ALL of the TMNT games.