TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Chunk

What is the greatest WWE/WWF match ever?

Lets here your answers on the following question:

In terms of entertainment and wrestling exhibited, what do you belive to be the greatest match to ever take place in the WWF/WWE?

I know its a tough one, and there have been many great matches over the years, but everyone must have one favourite that they believe to be the greatest WWE/WWF match of all time!

Lets here them ...

Guest BionicRedneck

Bret Hart Vs Owen Hart-WrestleMania X

There has been other matches on the same level wrestling wise, but this match had it all.

Guest El Psycho Diablo

Survey says most of the replies will be..

Austin/Hart from WM, or Austin/Benoit from Smackdown. *cough*

To be honest, I don't think there is one 'greatest match'. There are too many good ones for there to be just one.

Here's a tip. Anything with Benoit is gonna be rated an automatic **** a lot of times. Just goes to show you that one person's rating isn't going to work for another.

My advice is to watch matches yourself, and decide what your personal favorite is. Everybody's going to feel something different is 'the best', and it winds up going nowhere.

I'll start the ball rolling.

LADDER MATCH: HARDYZ Vs EDGE AND CHRISTIAN (No mercy 1999)

I know this is an odd one, and probably wont be picked by many others, but this match really really entertained me, and thats whats its all about.

It kinda brought ladder matches back and elevated the Hardyz to the big time, as well as being one of the most entertaining matches i have ever seen.

A whole number of high spots and a supprising and exciting ending made this an instant classic! (The No mercy PPV of 1999 even had a computer game named after it!)

Cheers

ChUnK!

Guest MaxPower27

Undertaker v. Mabel @ SS '95

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

I have about 5 (no particular order)

1-Owen v. Austin @ SumSlam '97

2-Angle v. Benoit @ WMX7

3-HHH v. Cactus Jack @ RR2000

4-Bret v. Shawn @ WM12

5-Bret v. Austin @ SurSer '96

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

Bret vs. Owen at Mania 10 gets my vote as well.

It's the best WWE match I've ever seen...but Austin vs. Bret from Mania 13 is my favorite match...

go figure.

Guest RickyChosyu

Bret/Austin from WM 13 defined the direction the company would take over the next few years, but as a match, it was flawed.

Therefore, Hart/Hart from WM 10 gets the duke. The only things that comes close to that is Hart/Austin from Survivor Series '96 and Benoit/Austin from the Edmonton Smackdown last year.

Guest BionicRedneck

That makes perfect sense bps. My favorite match ever is Bret/Owen but its probably not as good as some of the AJPW matches.

Guest RickyChosyu

Well yeah, obviously there's a difference between "favorite" and "best." My favorite WWF match is also Hart/Austin from WM 13, but that doesn't mean it was technically the best.

Guest RavishingRickRudo

It's not one the greatest, but I was watchin Savage/Warrior WM 7 again the other day, and it's a fuckin great match. Great surreal story (C'mon, you loved when Warrior was questioning his mortality and purpose and shit ;) ), a wonderful carry-job by Savage, drama, a definitive ending (not cheap shit, warrior beats Savages ass into the ground), and to top it all off the Miss Elizabeth tear-fest. Plus, Sherri is a fuckin tramp. I don't care how much clothing and how much make up you put on Terri, she isn't a TENTH of what Sherri was in the skank dept.

Guest RavishingRickRudo

I thought that Austin/Hart was 'technically' one of the best Wwf matches. I don't mean 'technically' as in they had a billion-and-one holds and counter-holds and transitions, but in terms of them telling a story, it was fantastic.

Guest BionicRedneck

Yeah.

Its the best all round WWF match. I mean it had a good build up, great heat, great wrestling, great storytelling, great (clean) finish and good selling of the knee by Bret. I think only Flair/Steamboat (WrestleWar), Kawada/Misawa (6/3/94) and Bret/Austin (WM 13) can touch that.

Guest RavishingRickRudo

The whole Austin/Hart feud should be a must for every wrestler to study, review, and learn from. Wrestling 101.

Guest RavishingRickRudo

I'd put the incredibly over-looked Bret/Piper WM VIII match above Austin/Hart WM 13 in terms of match, technique, and 'pure storytelling'. Austin/Hart had MUCH more influence though, which drastically increases it's "Greatness" factor. Plus Hart/Piper was way too short.

Guest Cubbie78

I just saw the HHH-Austin match from NWO 2001 for the first time, man that was awesome, I havent seen Austin/Hart or Hart/Hart in awhile, but that match became one of my all time favs very quickly....

Guest RavishingRickRudo

I didn't really like that match. Whether it didn't live up to the hype or I just didn't care about the storyline, I felt that it wasn't NEAR Austin/Benoit from Smackdown in terms of Wwf moty.

Though it did have a CLASSIC moment at the end where both HHH and Austin are laid out after a well-fought match and a beer can DINGS~! Austin right on the noggin.... Fantastic.

Guest Cubbie78

Well I might have liked it as much as I did cause I miss Austin so much, hehe...I havent seen Austin/Benoit-Edmonton since it first aired..sigh

thats not a bad one, but i think its hard for iron man matches to be classics, as an hour is just too long to

A)keep the match exciting

and B) not do something wrong, lol

ChUnK!

Guest BionicRedneck
its hard for iron man matches to be classics, as an hour is just too long to

Not really.

There have been several great hour long (or there abouts) matches.

Guest BigTim2002

Mark out Match: For me, it was Davey Boy vs. Bret at SS 92

Greatest Storyteller: WM 13: Austin/Hart

Best Technical Match: Benoit/Austin, Edmonton Smackdown, May 2001

Hardcore Match: Jack/HHH RR 2000

Holy Shit Match: For Me...don't get me wrong, all HIAC matches are guaranteed greatness...but the one match I watch and just go HOLY SHIT over, is one of my personal favorites. When TAKA Michinoku faced HHH as a surprise challenger on a 1999 RAW or a 2000 RAW, and I was absolutely JUMPING OUT OF MY CHAIR when TAKA hit the Michinoku Driver. Too bad there was interference.

Favorite Match, as in the match I can watch over and over again without me getting tired of it?

Steamboat/Savage-WM III, 1987. Go watch that match and tell me it doesn't stand up to any match put on today in the technical sense.

Guest RavishingRickRudo

Do you really want me to?

Tajiri/Psi from ECW TV in 2000 was A BAZILLION times better. Really, my jaw dropped, I was in awe, my knees got weak, GA DAMN that match was great.

Not to take anything away from Savage/Steamboat, but it sort of lost a lot of its appeal once I found out that the two had planned pretty much every spot before hand.

Guest BionicRedneck
any ideas where i can get the edmonton match, i think i missed it the first time around

Its on "Evolution Of The Crippler" Vol.3, which is an awesome tape, so try and find that

Trouble is i live in the uk, do you know if it was ever released in the UK? We kinda lose out on a lot of stuff over here, so i wouldnt be supprised if it wasnt?

Are there any sites around where you can d/l things like this that you know of?

Guest BigTim2002

Rudo, that had a HUGE blown spot.

Sure, it was cool (oh, and the Tajiri/Super Crazy Death Match was better than that) but 22 near falls, a great finish, GREAT HEAT...I just find it the better match.

Thanks a lot for the tip BIONIC REDNECK! Good to see someone willing to help, rather than jump for your throat the moment you say something they dont agree with, lol!

greatly appreciated!

ChUnK!