TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest ErekT2k

Dallas and Van Excel, win-win or lose-lose?

Guest ErekT2k

State your opinions. Nick Van Excel was traded to the Dallas Mavericks in a 7-way trade.

Though some people are jumping up and down in Dallas, I, for one, speculate that Van Excel will be a good addition. Here are my two main reasons:

Van Excel versus Del Harris

If anyone has been watching the Lakers this long, you would know that both these guys are from the Lakers. Former Laker Head Coach Del Harris *hated* Van Excel. These two had verbal wars and eventually Excel was shipped off to Denver and about a year later, Harris was fired. Harris landed in Dallas as an assistant and Excel just got shipped there. Will there past relationship affect their future relationship? I think it will. I think that old flames die hard and that these two will start another grudge at each other.

Van Excel is a shooter

I'm not clear on whether they're going to replace Steve Nash with Excel, which I hope they don't because Nash is way better than Excel. Excel has a past relationship of shooting, shooting, and more shooting. He's imitating AI and doing it poorly. Leader? Nope. Excel is in it for himself and it shows. If you put Excel in this Dallas team, will Excel cooperate or make Dallas into another Denver?

With those opinions, I think that the Mavericks have a 25 percent chance of beating the Kings or the Lakers.

Comment away!

Guest El Hijo Del Lunatic

Well, the plan is probably not to play Nick at Nite at the point so much.  The Mavs will probably now play Nash at the 1, Van Exel at the 2, Finley at the 3, Nowitzki at the 4, and LaFretnz at the 5.  Avery Johnson can back up at the point well enough.  Scary on offense?  You bet.  Scary on defense?  No way.  The Mavs had better be content to win games 130-128, because with that line-up, they aren't stopping anyone.  And believe me, I'm not wrried about players quibbling about shots; because at the pace they play, they shoot 85 times a game anyway.  

The other problem is that they become even MORE of a streaky team with the dumping of Howard and the addition of TWO MORE perimeter shooters in Van Exel and LaFrentz (who is basically Dirk Nowitzki as a shot-blocker).  They really don't have any inside scorers on that team (Wang ZhiZhi?  Eduardo Najera?  SHAWN BRADLEY!?  Certainly not Nowitzki.)

The only thing this does for the Nuggets, really, is clear out a shitload of cap space and bad attitude.  But they weren't doing so well with the direction Dan Issel was taking them anyway.

If the Mavs get hot, they can beat anybody and beat them badly.  But they can go cold, too.  I think the one thing they needed to do, if they were going to move at all, is consistency; I don't think they got that.  But ma-a-a-an, are they going to be fun to watch some nights.

Guest Vern Gagne

Van Exel is a cancer. Look at the problems he's caused in LA and Denver. He's had a poor attitude his entire career.He's never won anything in his life, and he's a inconsistent shooter. Plus how will he react to his minutes being cut.

Guest Eraser2K2

Jeez, go from one thread to the next, and I totally change my opinion on ya, El Hijo.  I totally agree.  Thats exactly what the Nuggets are going to do.  Im not sure if Van Exel will start at the 2, but it'd probably be the best way to go.  This was a much better trade for the Nuggets.  They got rid of a ton of cap space, and they weren't really going anywhere with LaFrentz.

As for the Del Harris situation, he had no problems with it, and actually spoke in favor of at least Van Exel's ability.

The Mavs won't beat the Lakers, Kings or Timberwolves in the playoffs though, so there isn't much to worry about.

Guest arejay

I think, as much as Mark Cuban tries to downplay it or shrug it off, that Dallas has an inferiority complex towards the Lakers.  Same as the Spurs.  Once the Lakers get focused, they won't be stopped this year. San Antone looked like a deer frozen in headlights last year.  And although I don't believe Dallas will fold like that and get swept, I just don't see them taking a series(5 or 7 games) from LA.  And that's not even coming from a fan.  

Dallas is an exciting team though. Dirk is the man, and what can you say about Steve Nash?  But with this trade, the person I see it hurting the most is Michael Finley. You know Dirk and Nash will get their shots, and now you have another gunner in Van Exel.  So Finley, A Johnson, LaFrentz, Manning, and Najera have to fight over the table scraps? Oh, and don't forget about Wang!

Guest The Electrifyer

As much as I hate to say it, I don't think Dallas will get any better from this trade. Like Verne said, Van Exel is like poison. Either it's gonna be Portland all over again, with too many good players and 0 playing time, or it'll be really, really good, but I doubt that. If Dallas wanted to make a big trade, they should not have gotten Van Exel, instead, they should have gotten a center that could contend with Shaq, Webber, Robinson, Duncan. They also need to focus on defense more. You might be able to dominate some team 130-110, but when it comes to the big boys, like the Lakers and Kings, defense wins the game.

Guest Vern Gagne

Speaking of Dallas. I can't stand when they show that idiot owner Mark Cuban when Dallas is winning, but when there getting their asses whipped like Tuesday against Minnesota(with no KG) we never see Cuban.

Guest Ripper

I don't see why everyone thinks Van Excel is a poison.  He might have been in La, but he was young...it understandable.  In Dever, he worked hard on the floor, and stuck by the team.....until.   You all can't deny that he was right, Denver was doing NOTHING to get better.  Every offseason, you could watch Denver just sit there, make no improvements of the team that did nothing the year before.  They had their franchise players, all they had to do was get the supporting cast and they made no attempts to do so.  You had La Frentz, Mcdyess, and Van Excel....what other moves did they make.  He was  a free agent and could have easily gone to a number of teams, but stuck by Denver because he saw they could be a few years away from being a impressive team.  But it didn't happen and he wanted out.  Plus it can't help when there is a coach there calling all the players crap, blaming one guy for a loss, and verbally assaulting them(the players were right to boycott that practice, they were just wrong to appologise for it.)  

I don't however think that he will be a good fit in Dallas.  he needs to start, but Adrian Griffin brings too much to the defensive end to bench him.  He will have to be in Timmys spot(who was playing great this year) and I am not sure how effective he will be.

La Frentz will be a perfect fit however.  He is a good rebounder, shot blocker and shooter.

Guest El Satanico

It would have to help at least a little. It can't hurt them. They got two players that can help the team for one mediocre guy that has never really done much of anything in his career.