TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest The Son of Sting

Halo?

Guest The Son of Sting

Is it really worth getting a X-BOX for this game as i keep hearing amazing things about it.

Guest Geiermann

I wouldn't buy an X-Box just so you can play this game.  It is really short and can get boring in the middle.  I managed to beat the game on easy level in less than a weekend.  Although the vehicles are really cool.

Guest Scotsman

Personally, I thought it sucked.  Rent an X-Box and Halo first....always rent before you buy.

Guest TUS_02

I haven't played it single player yet, but both co-op and death matches are lots of fun.

Guest dreamer420

I think Halo rules all.  The multiplayer is one of the best I have ever seen, and Single player is a little short but still awesome to work through.

Guest Jobber of the Week
I managed to beat the game on easy level in less than a weekend.  Although the vehicles are really cool.

Well gee, did you ever wonder why it was called "easy"? Did you notice when you selected that level that the game even TOLD you that "your final victory will leave you wanting more?" Saying it's short is one thing, complaining that Easy was too... Well, easy, is kind of a lame arguement.

Halo is good as a FPS. Go play the Legendary difficulty with a friend in co-op. GameSpy Arcade now lets you use matchmaking with it now too.

Also, someone made a QuickTime MOV doing some fancy stunts with Halo such as blowing people way high up in the air. Pretty crazy stuff. Unfortunately, I don't have anywhere to host such a large file. It's called halo_warthog_jump_high.mov if you see it anywhere on the file sharing networks, though.

Guest Army Eye

Yeah I saw that movie too.  It was great.  This is the link I saw it on but I don't know if it still works at all.. right now it's giving me an error but it's not a 404:  http://www.mythica.org/halo/halo_warthog_jump_high.mov

Geierman: nice job complaining about how short the game is after you put it on EASY.. Sheesh.  It's sad that your type is now the typical gamer who was brought up on the PlayStation

Guest Bruin

First of all, to a post above somewhere.. Halo is by no means short. Only if you play it only Easy will you think it's short because you can breeze through everything without a problem.

Secondly. Halo is worth it IMO. Halo is easily the best true FPS ever made. I can't wait until MS activates their internet support for the XBox either. I really want to go and play some CTF online right now. Not to mention that Co-op has been almost a completely ignored feature in every recent game, which is a shame since I always liked it.

Guest Mad Dog

One game doesn't justify buying a $300 system.

And buying an X-Box falls on what kind of games you like.  If you like RPGs I suggest you look elsewhere.

Guest Bruin

Actually, there are many RPGs in development out right now for the XBox, besides, I cannot stand it when people try to say a system doesn't have enough of a specific genre, or games in general because it's been out for 4 MONTHS!

Guest Geiermann

Of course playing a game on easy makes it easier.  But it does not mean that the story of the game is any shorter than if you were playing the game on the hardest difficulty level.  Playing on the hardest difficulty means that you just die more times because there are more enemies to kill you.  You still have to go through the same levels and accomplish the same tasks no matter what difficulty level you are on.

Also, I was not brought up on the Playstation.  I've never even owned a Playstation.  The last console the I owned was a Super Nintendo.  I moved onto the PC a long time ago.  The X-Box I used to beat Halo on was my brother's X-Box.

And finally there is no way that Halo is the best First Person Shooter ever made.  There are plenty of FPS games that are way better.  Let's name some: Deus Ex, Thief 1 and 2, Jedi Knight, Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon, Duke Nukem 3D, Return to Castle Wolfenstien(notice a trend here?).  Is there anyone out there that really thinks that Halo is better in any way, other than graphics, than Half-Life?

Guest Bruin

Oh WOW! Whats this, I get no respect because I don't have my post count from the older forum? Please, let me point out everything that was wrong just in your last paragraph alone..

And finally there is no way that Halo is the best First Person Shooter ever made.  There are plenty of FPS games that are way better.  Let's name some: Deus Ex, Thief 1 and 2, Jedi Knight, Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon, Duke Nukem 3D, Return to Castle Wolfenstien(notice a trend here?).  Is there anyone out there that really thinks that Halo is better in any way, other than graphics, than Half-Life?

First off, I grew up on the freaking FPS genre. I played through Wolenstein 3d hundreds of times when it first came out, and I was only 7. So please, don't try to belittle me with attempts of thinking that my opinions are pointless.

Okay, now lets move onto your list. Oh, and since you didn't quite read what I said before, lemme reititerate, I said "Halo is easily the best true FPS ever made." *

Deus Ex - This is much more of a RPG than an FPS quite frankly. It's basically an RPG with FPS elements.

Jedi Knight - Read above.

Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon - Tactical games, not true FPS.

Duke Nukem 3D - Quite possibly a rival, I'll give you that, but still not as fun IMO as Halo. (Notice, I'm not bringing up Technology issues)

RTCW - WHAT?! This game was insanely short, was a resource hog, tried to be realistic at certain points, failed miserably, then fell back onto Fantasy/Sci-Fi elements to keep it going. The only redeeming feature is the Multiplayer.

Half-Life - Even though I consider it a different type of FPS than Halo, why not. Quite frankly, I loved HL, I still play TFC a lot, but still, you cannot compare the two, it's like WWF and Puro to make a loose analogy. Halo has the graphics, the veichle support, and MUCH better AI for your commrades, and was designed for a completely different system than Half Life. Half Life has the story, the scripted sequences, and user community.

* = A true FPS is traditionally defined as an FPS that is more shooting and less thinking. Examples of such are.. Serious Sam, Doom, Unreal, Aliens vs Predator.. etc etc, you get the point.

Edit because I'm still getting used to the new board, and I forgot to define my asterisk from before. :P

Guest Geiermann

Using your definition of a true FPS you pretty much nailed it on all of those games.  Although I disagree with you on Jedi Knight.  It is not nearly the RPG that Deus Ex is.  I would place Jedi Knight as more similar to Half-Life.  

I guess that I am biased against true FPS games.  I prefer a game that has a little more thinking to it.  Running and gunning gets really boring after a while.  That's probably why I stopped playing Half-Life Deathmatch a long time ago.

I'll just stick to my RPGs and FPS/RPG hybrids.

Guest HANSgerman

Try hooking this thing up to the net and playing with 16 people like we did at this college..... INCREDIBLE!!!! It was the only time I played it though :(...