TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest kingkamala

Nostalgia PPVs

Guest kingkamala
And I could of bought Summerslam 1990 for 10 bucks at an old video store before it went out of business

You think that's bad I could have bought Smack 'Em Whack 'Em for eight bucks and since I didn't know what it was I bought Royal Rumble 93(Although Royal Rumble 93 is actually pretty good)

Guest cabbageboy

I don't get all the love for 1990. I don't think I liked a single show from that year. I suppose it is because I stopped watching from late 1989 to early 1992.

WM 6 is a show I saw like 2 years after it happened so I never had any attachment to it like I do to 4 or 5.

Summerslam 90 is easily the weakest of the first 5 years of the show. 1988 is a real fun old nostalgia show, 89 was bad ass and has a lot of cool stuff (and ZEUS), 91 has some of the best stuff ever and is wildly entertaining, and 92 is my fave show.

Besides, I always hated that opener on SS 90. The Rockers lost to fucking Power and Glory???

I like virtually all the 1988-89 stuff and the 1991-92 stuff.

Guest TJH

Summerslam 1991 was the first PPV I saw and I still own it and......

IT IS THE BEST FUCKING PPV IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest bravesfan

Howz bout Wrestlemania 8?

-The PPV debut of "HBK", complete with Sherri.

-The emergence of the Undertaker as a face.

-Piper/Bret in an IC title bout. My favorite match of Piper's career. Great psychology with the ring bell towards the end of the match.

-Flair/Savage for the World title. WOW.

-Warrior coming to save Hogan at the end of the PPV is the #1 mark-out moment of all "definitive wrestling mark-out moments" B)

A weak PPV considering some of the matches post-intermission (Owen/Skinner, Money Inc/ Natural Disasters, Martel/Tatanka), but my favorite in terms of nostalgia.

Guest kingkamala
Summerslam 1991 was the first PPV I saw and I still own it and......

IT IS THE BEST FUCKING PPV IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah actually I liked that better then Summerslam 90 when I was younger besides the main event and Bushwhackers-Natural Disasters match there is really not one stinker on the card. Bret Hart-Mr. Perfect was also my favorite match of all time up till two years ago(It still kicks ass thought)

Guest nWoScorpion

Shawn was HBK at RR 92. So the little ppv debut HBK at WM 8 got shot down.

Guest nWoScorpion
Summerslam 90 is easily the weakest of the first 5 years of the show. 1988 is a real fun old nostalgia show, 89 was bad ass and has a lot of cool stuff (and ZEUS), 91 has some of the best stuff ever and is wildly entertaining, and 92 is my fave show.

Besides, I always hated that opener on SS 90. The Rockers lost to fucking Power and Glory???

I like virtually all the 1988-89 stuff and the 1991-92 stuff.

1988 really sucked cept for the two tag matches (Demos/Hart, Bulldogs/Rogeaus). Considering the talent in the main event on ppv makes it sound good, but Andre kinda kills that quickly.

1989: CRAAAAP. Good Foundation/Busters, 6 man (not the fat asses/demos one) are good, Warrior/Rude decent, rest is mediocre-bad.

for 1990, Power & glory were being pushed as the top heel team (since Demo's weere being focused on less) and thecnically it was Jannetty/P&G since Shawn had the knee injury so they had tow rite him out by being attacked b4 the match.

Guest MichaelColeRulez

Summerslam 90 and Summerslam 91, greatest PPV's of all times.

Guest JHawk

I've never been a big fan of SummerSlam 90, but it is better now than it was then.

My guilty nostaliga pleasure is The Wrestling Classic. This was the first PPV my parents rented after they got our first VCR. I actually found a copy of the PPV feed a few years ago, so that is now my favorite tape.

Guest Dmann2000
Summerslam 1990 OWNS.

It's hands down the most entertaining wrestling PPV ever.  I used to rent it all the time when I was a kid, and I haven't seen it recently...

*runs out to rent Summerslam 1990*

Summerslam 90 is why I love Summerslams-

Summerslam 90 is the ultimate "fun show". Sure the wrestling sucks but it just entertains the piss out of me for three hours.

I love everything on that show and Summerslam in general

Thought I'd bring this thread back to life.

Don't forget about SummerSlam 1991.

DiBiase vs Virgil- The pop he gets when he wins the Million $ belt. Priceless :-)

Guest Respect The 'Taker

Survivor Series 1996 is my favourite PPV EVER...AND I STILL CANNOT FIND THE DAMN THING ANYWHERE TO BUY IT!!!

All my friends saw it, we all watched it at the height of our love for wrestling all at the tender age of 12, back when we thought it was ALLLL real.

Ah, those were the days.

UYI

Guest MillenniumMan831

SummerSlam 1991 was GREAT! One of my favorite Bobby Heenan lines came from it:

Heenan: Monsoon, tell him to stop calling me Boobs!

Monsoon: He can hear you!

Kill me, but I thought the beginning of the Bushwhackers/Diasters match was a hoot. I saw it at my buddy's house a couple days before my 9th birthday. We loved every minute, even IRS/Valentine. In hindsight, it was a good thing that match was on there so the crowd could catch their breath.

Plus, our hero Sid Justice made his WWF PPV debut.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Hells yes to the Summerslam 91 pimpage. Bret/Perfect is one of my sentimental favorites, as I was a die-hard mark for both guys at the time, but was DYING for Bret to win by the end of it. That's effective face/heel work.

And a big super-sized FUCK YES goes to UYI who appreciates the greatness of 96 Survivor Series. Bret/Austin from that show is beyond a shadow of a doubt the best WWF match I've ever seen, and the best American match of the 90's, with Rey/Eddy being just half a hair behind it in my book, and Bret/Owen from WM X being third.

Shawn/Sid is fun stuff, as Shawn is in full-bore bump like the lord of bumps mode, going totally over the top, and above and beyond the call of duty, I love the goofiness. Sid was trying so hard that it was enjoyable just to watch, even if Eudy did suck.

Guest Dmann2000
Hells yes to the Summerslam 91 pimpage. Bret/Perfect is one of my sentimental favorites, as I was a die-hard mark for both guys at the time, but was DYING for Bret to win by the end of it. That's effective face/heel work.

And don't forget Mountie in the paddy wagon "AHHHH! STOP IT. YOU CAN'T DO THIS TO ME. I'M DA MOUNTIE. YOU'RE HURTING ME, STOP IT YOU STUPID! AHHHH!"

I hate to just jump on the bandwagon, but Summerslam 90 was sweet because it was the first PPV when I started watching wrestling and I didn't even see it for about 10 months after the event.

Other top PPV's:

Royal Rumble 91/92: Loved the intro showing all 30 wrestlers.

Great American Bash 96: Great show top to bottom, and was really Benoit's breakout match, the ovation when him & Arn beat the hell out of Sullivan was priceless.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Oh lord, the jailhouse match. I can't stand Bossman, or the match, but the shenanigans afterwards are priceless.

Why does everyone have such a hard-on for 93 Summerslam? I hated that show.

Guest Andy

I'll pipe in with StarrCade '89. It was the first WCW PPV I saw, and I liked the round-robin approach. Looking back, some of the matches were quite poor though...

Cheers,

Andy

Guest Anorak

Summerslam 89 was the first wrestling tape I ever owned and naturally remains one of my old favourites. I remember asking my Mum to get me it for my birthday because it was one of the few WWF vids out in the UK I hadn't been able to rent from my local videoshop. Busters/Harts was a very good opener, the Rougeous/Martel vs Rockers/Santana six man was solid and Rude/Warrior was really enjoyable. The Schavone/Ventura commentry team was brilliant for this show, only Rumble 92 and summerslam 91 are funnier or more entertaining to me as Jesse just mercilessly rips apart every or nonsensical comment an especially biased and manic sounding Tony makes throughout the whole show.

Summerslam 92 ia another show that will always have sentimental value to me. It occured at the peak of the first real American wrestling craze in the UK and the WWF product was everywhere. There was a real buzz about getting a proper PPV and it being held at Wembley stadium. Bret/Bulldog was the most stressful match I've ever watched as Bret adopted a really agressive heel like style that increased the tension. Being a young mark, it wasn't blindingly obvious to me that Davey Boy would definately go over in front of 70,000 of his own fans so in retrospect that made it all the more special.

Oh lord, the jailhouse match. I can't stand Bossman, or the match, but the shenanigans afterwards are priceless.

Uhhhh i'm the only one who mentioned Summerslam 1993. And it's very rarely remembered.

Guest MillenniumMan831

Uhhhh i'm the only one who mentioned Summerslam 1993. And it's very rarely remembered.

It seems that SummerSlams tend to be the feel-good event of the year. The announcers seem more pumped, the wrestling tends to be more energetic, and the faces go over quite a bit over the years.

BTW, You want the finger, THERE'S the finger!!!

/\ /\ /\

That's true. Every year there is a feel good moment with osme of the bets feel-good moments ever over the years:

88 - Warrior ending Honky's run.

91 - Bret pinning Perfect and Virgil finally defeating DiBiase

92 - Bulldog's win

93 - Luger slamming Yoko

94 - Bret beating Owen

97 - Bret winnign his 5th belt

98 - Ausitn pinning Taker, HHH oversoming Rock

99 - Ventura ocming back, Foley winning title

01 - Rock coming back

02 - HBK beating HHH

Guest Aero

I'm a big fan of Summerslam 1997, mainly because I was there live. I was sitting in the second row right above the entrance. I had some great experiences there. One of the best was after the PPV went off the air, and the commentators were heading backstage. I held up my "WWF Rules, WCW Sucks" sign up for Vince (commentator), and he pointed to me and nodded. Good stuff...

I still enjoyed the show overall: Bret's final WWF Title win, the Austin-Owen incident. The heat for Shawn Michaels was incredible that night.

Guest CanadianChris

I'm gonna be all different and stuff and say WrestleMania VII. Good Rockers match, good Hart Foundation match, Undertaker's first WM, LOD's first WM, Hogan/Slaughter didn't suck near as much as I thought it would, and Warrior/Savage remains one of my three all-time favourite WWF matches.

Guest Drury37

Well my favorite is probably WWF WrestleMania VIII.It was the first ever WWF pay per view I ordered and I remember the weeks before the show getting ready and being so excited about.Speaking of the weeks before the show,does anyone else remember Ric Flair sitting out on a lawn with a bunch of girls,what was that all about?Well my favorite match on the show was Rowdy Piper Vs.Bret Hart for the WWF Intercontinetal Title,that is probably my favorite wrestling match of all time and the first half of that show is just unbelievable and the second half is just kind of fun to watch and it should have been the end to the Tatanka Vs. Rick Martel feud and the Money Inc. Vs. Natural Disasters feud.

Thanks.

Guest bob_barron

Whomever said Summerslam 91 is correct.

I LOVE that show. The stuff with the Mountie is hilarious and you get Bret v. Hennig and Virgil v. Dibiase.

It's just a fun show to watch

Guest Drury37

The stuff with The Mountie from WWF SummerSlam 1991 was hilarious.My favorite line is YOU WANT THE FINGER,HERE'S THE FINGER!!!I was cracking up the first time I saw that.

Thanks.

Guest Retro Rob
Survivor Series 1996 is my favourite PPV EVER...AND I STILL CANNOT FIND THE DAMN THING ANYWHERE TO BUY IT!!!

I have the PPV version. PM me if you're interested.

As for favorite nostaglia PPVs, I said Fall Brawl 1995 back in August. I'll add Rumble 90, WrestleMania IV, and Starrcade 1988 to that list.

Guest bob_barron

I love Survivor Series 96 as well. What a great friggin show.

I own Fall Brawl 95 but have yet to watch it. Starrcade 88 is also a terrific show.

I cannot stand Wrestlemania IV though. Thats show bores me to tears